The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cesarewitch 2024

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Cesarewitch 2024

Viewing 4 posts - 35 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Agree with the above. Personally I believe the whip rules are an illogical mess. Nevertheless, they are the rules.

Stewards have the power to disqualify horses on matters of opinion, i.e in interference cases. Why are they not allowed to make a decision on a matter of fact? Even stewards can count! And there was no question about the whip being used for safety because the horse was racing in isolation. Kevin Blake’s point about the last strike was irrelevant.

Connections of the winner, who will almost certainly have had a bet, have profited from breaking the rules. Whereas punters who backed Manxman have lost out. That is not good for the sport, in particular when betting on horse racing is in decline.

On a separate note, Powell has got 28 days for trying to win a race. OK, he broke the rules and had to get a ban – but I don’t think anyone is seriously arguing there was a welfare issue. Whereas Cameron Iles only received a 10 day ban for continuing to ride an injured horse at Kelso which subsequently had to be put down.

Maybe that would have been the case even if he had pulled up immediately but which was the worst offence?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3762

RTB,

There was one world famous case:

“The 100 m final at the 1988 Summer Olympics was one of the most sensational sports stories of the year and its unexpected outcome would rank as one of the most infamous sports stories of the century. Johnson won in 9.79 s, a new world record, while Lewis set a new American record with 9.92 s. Three days later, Johnson tested positive for steroids, his medal was taken away and Lewis was awarded gold and credited with a new Olympic record.”

Participant
    • Total Posts 2333

Very true ap but this was not recognised on the day it was from a later blood test.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

I suppose it was inevitable a story like this one would emerge. Another triumph for the BHA:

Horse Racing Punter Loses Out On £58k Due To Cesarewitch Handicap Whip Rule Debacle

Viewing 4 posts - 35 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.