The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bright New Dawn for Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Bright New Dawn for Racing

Viewing 5 posts - 103 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

No matter, I await my sentence with trepidation.

I finished the case for the prosecution on that note because what you said was nonsense. Everyone has a moral an ethical framework. It might be the most psychopathically hideous framework, but everyone has one and you, dear boy, are no exception. Hitler had one, Ian Brady had one, Pol Pot had one and you’ve got one. It might be bad or it might be good but you’ve got one. Trust me.
    May I suggest a new family motto for my lord Hughes: Minor volubilis magis ego scientia, which roughly translates as less lip and more self knowledge.

JUDGE: It seems that Bettingboy’s case appears watertight, certainly if we call an emeritus professor of philosophy to the court. However, this court will not be too hard on Mr Hughes. He seems to be guilty of little more than wanting to appear frivolous AND intellectually sound at the same time. This is possible, of course, but only if you know what you’re talking about, which, in this sad case, it seems clear that Mr Hughes did not. I release him from the precincts of the court without charge. All rise!

• Total Posts 1904

Back again so soon, Bettingboy?

I do of course, bow to your greater knowledge of Mr Hitler and Mr Brady and am in no position to speak for those two gentlemen. However, whilst I am prepared to yield the field to others on most subjects, I am afraid I must insist that I remain the expert on the subject of Hughes, A. For the upteenth time, though I wearily suspect not the last, I reiterate – I do not have an ethical or a moral framework.

As for wishing to appear ‘intellectually sound’, I can honestly say that has never been an ambition of mine, certainly it would not be a realistic one, given the paltry state of my education. It all sounds dreadfully dull anyway, the kind of ambition that might lead a chap to litter his conversation with random snatches of French and Latin.

No matter, Bettingboy, I bear no ill will towards you. I am in a good mood today, the sun is shining on Hughes Towers and all is well with the world. I’m not sure what the climate is under your bridge, though I suspect damp and clammy might feature prominently in the troll-forecast. (See, a literary reference of my own – not quite Hamlet, but then fairy stories are more my level these days.)

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

Bye bye, old fruit.

PS: Next time you are repelled by something or decide to help somone or not help someone, ask yourself why and how you came to the decision. You might be in for a shock.

• Total Posts 1904

Tara then old bean.

It’s been fun. Must do it again some time.

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

It’s OK, your ego will emerge triumphant – you can have the last word. As Nietzsche pointed out: when it’s pride versus memory, pride wins. A useful adage for gamblers, now I come to think about it…

Viewing 5 posts - 103 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.