The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders Cup – Pharmaceuticals

Home Forums Archive Topics Breeders Cup – Pharmaceuticals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I think it’s the usual suspects, Lasix and Bute.

I’d expect Hawk Wing to run on Lasix.

Any of the Europeans who haven’t shown a clear liking for fast ground (assuming that’s what gets to be served up), will probably be on Bute, I’d imagine.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>both lasix and bute are allowed in illinois

bute  is a pain killer ideal for any horses with weak joints  especially  as venusian points out if the ground rides firm  also as the horse will feel no pain they will stride out more to the line  it does not make them run faster but it enable horses to keep the same speed longer

lasix  is of help to bleeders and horses with respitory problems  again it wont make a horse run faster  but will help them keep to their top speed longer

i would think most european horses will use one or the  other   they would be disadvanatged without i would think.

if i recall correctly  only fabre has not run his horses as a rule on medication.

also german fillies will not run on medication   as their breeders will lose their  breeding incentive bonuses they are entitled to if returned to germany

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Trainers will have to declare their use of Lasix on 23rd October and this will be administered by a vet on the morning of the race.  You will see which ones are on it in the Racing Post.  

To be allowed to run on Lasix the horse has to have previously bled in a race – in the case of Americans – or to have a veterinary certificate stating this in the case of Europeans.

You cannot run for 14 days after bleeding.

Last year in New York every European ran on it with the exceptions of Banks Hill, Spring Oak and Slew The Red<br>- the Fabre runners.

Trainers do not have to declare Bute – all though many will be trained on it.  You cannot administer it after 11.05 on Friday October 25th – 24 hours before post time for the Breeders’ Cup day.

As regards dehydration most trainers will give an electrolyte "jug" on arrival.  Dehydration will be monitored by the trainers and electrolytes will be given as appropriate.

<br>

(Edited by Adrian at 9:42 am on Oct. 16, 2002)

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

Adrian Ive often heard and read that its harder to ship a horse from west to east than from east to west. Ive never seen any explanation for this and was wondering if it’s true?-or just American propaganda?!?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Factors such as ground and humidity – and time of year of course – all have an effect on shipping.

However I don’t follow the West-East theory.  After all Frankel does really well in New York and on a world scale the British seem to be able to ship well to Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan etc, going East.

The ground is still riding on the firm side at Arlington but some rain is forecast for later in the week.  It is also very cold (40’s).  I’ll have more updates when I get there on Friday.

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

My 15 day advance forecast looks to have been pretty accurate!

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Just a few things that came up in my lexture today:<br>80% of horses bleed(or burst) in their lungs after serious work but most is so insignificant the body is more than able to deal with it. 10% of horses will bleed seriously. As we no in America they use Lasix to deal with this. This lowers the blood volume of the horse which actually lowers the body weight by 0.5%. <br> <br>

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>adrian<br>is it not 30 days after in illinois  they banned a horse today becuase  of this (according to the rp)

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Run them with a Vicks inhaler up their nose.  That’s bound to make them twice the horse thaey would be on lasix LOL  (Sorry, very scottish joke with a little sarcasm).

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Prince Regent,

The Illinois Racing Board state that "when a horse is added to the furosemide (ie Lasix) list, it shall be placed on the veterinarian’s list and shall be ineligble to race for 14 days"

Which article in the Racing Post did you read about 30 days as I’d like to follow up on this.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Alain Baxter is innocent!!!

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>adrian

there was a very small  item in the rp yesterday  it just said   the horse……….. will not be running at the bc meeting because   of  the 30 day rule on the use of lasix in illionois

when i get home  if the wife has not thrown it out   i will   type it out for u

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

PR,

Found it – it is to do with Pleasantly Perfect who bled at Santa Anita on October 6th – William Hill are refunding betting on it as he was supposedly not able to run from that day.

I’m surprised and will check this out with Arlington

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Apparently it is a rule that it is 30 days if they are bleeding for a 2nd time.  This was the case with<br>Pleasantly Perfect.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>thanks adrian  that is the article i read   wish the rp  had mentioned  that it  is effective on the 2nd time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.