The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders cup: Classic

Home Forums Archive Topics Breeders cup: Classic

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2440

Absolutely awful ride.

Equally worse is the way he was smacking her down the straight to make up for his very bad error of judgement.

Whipped the horse plenty.

Shocking ride all round.

• Total Posts 2184

Who does he think he is, Paul Carberry?? :lol:

• Total Posts 2432

Chin up, Miss Woodford. She’s still a magnificent filly.

We’re all hurting, but nobody’s fooled.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

I couldn’t believe how detached she was. Did she strike any sort of trouble in the straight? The commentators seem to be suggesting that she didn’t get a dream run but I was focused on Lucky.

I have to say that she wasn’t too far off them on the turn despite how far back she was early.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

I’m upset but slagging off Mike Smith isn’t gonna make me feel any better.

It’s not about slagging off – it’s about speaking the truth.

Could you imagine Moore, Dettori, Hughes*, Hanagan, Murtagh or Peslier, to name but five, screwing up like that?

*Before anyone mentions the Queen Anne Stakes, Goldikova accelerated as soon as Paco Boy got near her, and Goldi’s superiority over Paco has been proven.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

The thrashing in the final 2f is what happens in America when a favourite is trying to make up ground. Plenty of jockeys (even European jockeys) did the same. Does not make it any less disgraceful though.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I knew one day Mike Smith would get her beat. I just didn’t want it to be this day. I’ve only cried over horse racing twice before-when Smarty Jones lost the Belmont, when Barbaro got injured-and I’m bawling now. I know she’ll still go down as one of the best mares ever, but I’m just crushed.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

She looked maybe 4 or a tiny bit more lengths off the winner and got a very good run. I’m not sure if it was that poor of a ride to be honest.

Smith whipped her quite a bit but for in her last race and in this sort of race, with perfection on the line, understandable. I won’t criticize him for that.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Absolutely awful ride.

Equally worse is the way he was smacking her down the straight to make up for his very bad error of judgement.

American jockeys aren’t as good as actual horsemanship as British, Irish and European jockeys.

If Smith, Borel, or any of their countrymen came to this side of the pond, they would spend all their time getting banned.

Twitter=@PGHenn

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

In fairness, forget about the lunatics that were out in front setting a ridiculous pace, she was only 5L heading into the final bend, error of judgement perhaps but not as bad as it looked.

Chapman and Big Mac too emotional for me.

JohnJ

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m upset but slagging off Mike Smith isn’t gonna make me feel any better.

It’s not about slagging off – it’s about speaking the truth.

Could you imagine Moore, Dettori, Hughes*, Hanagan, Murtagh or Peslier, to name but five, screwing up like that?

*Before anyone mentions the Queen Anne Stakes, Goldikova accelerated as soon as Paco Boy got near her, and Goldi’s superiority over Paco has been proven.

I’ve seen him ride her exactly the same and no one has said a word. Maybe it’s cause she won those times.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Just got home; missed the race by five minutes thank goodness or would be an even bigger wreck than I am now. To go down fighting like that is heartbreaking. Not felt such emotion about a horse since the Dessie and One Man years.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Absolutely awful ride.

American jockeys aren’t as good as actual horsemanship as British, Irish and European jockeys.

If Smith, Borel, or any of their countrymen came to this side of the pond, they would spend all their time getting banned.

Our homegrown steeplechase jockeys are very good-Danielle Hodson, Richard Boucher, and Matt McCarron could definitely do well in the UK. That’s why I’m so excited about young Anna Napravnik, she got her start in the jumps racing world.

• Total Posts 2432

I’ve just gone back 24 years and 5 months tonight, Miss Woodford. I’ve hit the Kleenex box too. :oops:

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Absolutely awful ride.

Our homegrown steeplechase jockeys are very good-Danielle Hodson, Richard Boucher, and Matt McCarron could definitely do well in the UK. That’s why I’m so excited about young Anna Napravnik, she got her start in the jumps racing world.

As an aside, I am somewhat fascinated by American Steeplechasing, and I would love to see more American horses and jockeys come over here and do well.

However, I still think most of their flat boys would spend most of their UK racing careers serving whip bans!

Twitter=@PGHenn

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

In fairness, forget about the lunatics that were out in front setting a ridiculous pace, she was only 5L heading into the final bend, error of judgement perhaps but not as bad as it looked.

Chapman and Big Mac too emotional for me.

JohnJ

It was more than 5 lengths behind the rest of the field. But agreed, those out front were worse judges of pace.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

On that display, Zenyatta is clearly the best ten furlong horse in America and is still at the top of her game as a 6YO.

Will connections allow her to go out like that?

There was talk before the race that she may come back next year. Now the weight of the unbeaten streak has been lifted off there shoulders, will connections have some fun with her next year, starting off in Dubai?

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.