The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders cup: Classic

Home Forums Archive Topics Breeders cup: Classic

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    JHorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 161

Lookin At Lucky was very impressive in the Haskell;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgtH8Phlds

But that was only a race for 3yo. LAL has never run against older horses. Of course this is the time of year that a 3yo has the maturity to go against older horses on more or less even terms. Lookin At Lucky prepped in the Indiana Derby and while he didn’t beat much LAL did run well over a muddy track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=052ISIPCX-A

Zenyatta has never run over an off track and it is quite possible to get rain at Churchill in November. A muddy track might give Lookin At Lucky enough of an edge to pull the upset.

• Total Posts 1982

SOURCE: RP ONLINE

Connections of Lookin At Lucky were delighted with the condition of the Breeders’ Cup Classic second favourite after he completed his final major workout for the race on Monday.

The three-year-old, winner of the Preakness Stakes and Haskell Invitational this season, trailed a workmate by 12 lengths in a six-furlong gallop at Hollywood Park before running on strongly in the home stretch to lead at the finish.

Bob Baffert, who trains Lookin At Lucky for Mike Pegram, told the Daily Racing Form: "

I wanted that other horse to be way in front. I wanted something for him to focus on.

This was his last major work. Now, we’ll play the waiting game."

———————————————————

Someone should tell Bob that the main danger will not be in front of his colt when he turns into the stretch!

:P

Hard to focus on something moving past you at warp speed, anyway. 8)

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I know practically nothing about yank racing, but if Zenyatta turns up anything like this time last year she blows them away at what may turn out to be the odds of the year.

Maybe the more esteemed members on here can apprise me of why 4/1 isn’t an overly-generous price from our bookmaking chums?

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Zenyatta is older than Joan Collins. The old legs must be getting stiffer by the minute. She will be taken out of her comfort zone and will be facing sterner opposition this year – on a dirt surface. Her last run was not ( to my eyes ) in the least bit impressive. By all means take the 4/1 if you truly fancy a repeat of last year.

I may end up with an ostrich size egg in my face, but I am confident that she will not win the 2010 Breeders Cup Classic.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cast your mind back a year ago Zippy. You could get 6/1 or 71/ about Zenyatta thanks to the old British mentality. if you told to an American racegoer they would have called the men in white coats to come and take you away.

In the end I think she went off at 7/4 and now she’s become the most popular thing in America since the hotdog she’ll be backed off the boards on the day.

So far on Betfair $43,000 has been traded with $58 available at 4.6 compare that to next years Champion Hurdle which has already traded $250,000 so there’s been no real interest in the race and with so many offering 4/1 punters decided to wait a little longer.

The Bookies are dealing in small amounts at the moment and their books balance hence the price.

That will change drastically and I’d grab 4/1 if you can get on.

• Total Posts 2

Anybody in here has an opinion about this years Classic fields quality?
    I believe that par Zenyatta it is a below average field, Quality Road might be the best of the youngest generation, but the Classic seems a furlong too far?
    My kidsister doesn’t agree, she believes it is a strong draft…

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Zenyatta is older than Joan Collins. The old legs must be getting stiffer by the minute. She will be taken out of her comfort zone and will be facing sterner opposition this year – on a dirt surface. Her last run was not ( to my eyes ) in the least bit impressive. By all means take the 4/1 if you truly fancy a repeat of last year.

I may end up with an ostrich size egg in my face, but I am confident that she will not win the 2010 Breeders Cup Classic.

6 years old isn’t old at all. Maybe it is for those who are used to horses like Zarkava and Sea the Stars who never race past 3 or 4, but not here. Many of the other pre entries in the BC, including some of the favorites, are 6 or 7.

Z’s last race was very impressive to me. At no point did she appear tired or desperate. She could’ve won by open lengths had she/Mike Smith wanted to.

The latest, courtesy of http://www.zenyatta2010.com

ZENYATTA SITTING ON GO, ASKING FOR MORE – 10/28/2010

Inglewood, Calif. – The undefeated Zenyatta, looking to win a historic 20th straight race with a repeat in the Breeders’ Cup Classic on November 6, is getting more and more aggressive in her training each day, indicating to her connections that she’s ready for her toughest test yet. On Thursday, it took all of exercise rider Steve Willard’s strength to contain her during her 1 ½ mile gallop over the main Hollywood Park track.

"She’s pretty solid," said trainer John Shirreffs, as he watched her gallop.

"She’s pretty aggressive today," added Willard as he dismounted. "She’s really wanting to do some more. She’s ready for a work.

Jerry and Ann Moss’ two-time champion will continue to gallop one more day, Friday, and her final timed workout will be Saturday, October 30. She is scheduled to leave California for Kentucky on Tuesday, November 2.

And a fantastic article in this week’s

Sports Illustrated

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ … /index.htm, which is a must-read. It’s so incredibly rare nowadays for horse racing to get even a paragraph in the magazine, so a lengthy piece on the Queen is just great for the sport in the US.

And they’re actually having commercials for the Breeders Cup, only mentioning Zenyatta (not as a snub to the other horses, but because Zenyatta is honestly the

only

horse currently racing that more than 1% of the country know about). Add a spot on 60 Minutes this Sunday, and promotion thanks to Good Morning America, Sportscenter et al. and we will have the highest rated Breeders Cup ever. Which is only a good thing for the uncertain status of televised American horse racing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

SILKE:- Very hard to judge really. I wathced Looking at Lucky win a few races but in one (can’t remember which) he took way too long to come round his field and din’t put enough distance betwen him and the rest for my liking. That however is only one race.

Blame I like more he look a touch quicker of the mark and with his style of running he could pinch a lead off the turn and be the one they all have to catch.

According to Timeform the top rated horse is Quality Road along with Zenyatta but his price in the UK doesn’t relect that.

Good race bad race Good horses moderate horses ? all come the same to Zenyatta and Mike Smith. He asks she produces and it doesn’t seem to matter what the others are like. Can’t see this being any different

• Total Posts 1982
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Great video :)

Them American’s sure know how to use the hype!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Feel like jumping on a plane and going there after watching that. :)

Luther
    • Total Posts 16

That Zenyatta tribute is the best I have seen so far – one to watch with the sound up..

With regards to SILKE’s question, I reckon this is a strong BCC field and ZENYATTA will have to be at her very best to come out on top.

HAYNESFIELD will obviously try to set a strong pace (and stays 10 furlongs) but unlike in the JCGC, he’ll have company up front with ESPOIR CITY and QUALITY ROAD (not sure he will stay or settle enough to ge into the stalls) keeping him company.

LOOKING AT LUCKY has improved again (should stay – won the Preakness over 1m 3/16th) and has just about got rid of the ‘Unlucky’ tag.

BLAME loves CD (has had 3 wins there but has not won over 10 furlongs) and will be running on late with Zenyatta.

Add MUSKET MAN, FLY DOWN and GIO PONTI (on Dirt..?) into the mix and it looks like an absolute cracker – cannot wait..!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 102

I have a feeling that Lookin at Lucky could be unlucky again, his defeats have come in bigger fields whilst his best performances have been in single figure fields.
    Even when he did win the 12 runner preakness he had a nice trip up on the outside and scraped home that day, if he misses the break he’s toast imo as i think he doesn’t do running through horses well and seems to be switched to the outer to make his run.

It has to be closers imo and the Zenyatta, Blame Fly Down com could be profitable.

I do hope she wins, it could be worldwide news and by god does horseracing need it.
    Connections have done the sport proud with a "meet the fans" special which reached out beyond the narrow confines which we usually inhabit.

Lets hope its 20/20 vision

From a narrower angle ive played her at 9/2 and 4/1 because im sure i’ll get a freebee come post time…

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I just saw a photo of the finish to the KD. It looked like a mudbath.Since the thoroghbred came from the desert why are people insisting on racing on the mud? Horses were never intended to run in such slop.How many countries allown the horse to run in such adverse circumstances?Jockets wear multiple goggles and horses return covered all over in dirt.They are not provided with goggles so why the jockey? The American horse race industry cares little for the wellbeing of the horse only for the career of the jockey and trainer. Neither of whom will speak up when the horse’s interest is threatened.Since the demise of George Washington I noticed a lack of interest from some in running their beloved horses on such treacherous surfaces.We risk losing some of our best horse to the pursuit of money(see Hannon senior’s recent statement).Not good.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You’ve obviously never been to St Moritz Andy.

What’s the fatality rate on the track, what were the conditions at the time? How many horses break down that run on the track and under what conditions.

These are all things you should know if making such a sweeping statement don’t you think?

I’m asking because I don’t know. Most owners love their horses and won’t run them if they think they are in any danger…..how many withdrawels were there today at The meeting? Should give you and idea if the track is thought of as dangerous or not.

Any horses slipping up on the bends?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I just saw a photo of the finish to the KD. It looked like a mudbath.Since the thoroghbred came from the desert why are people insisting on racing on the mud? Horses were never intended to run in such slop.How many countries allown the horse to run in such adverse circumstances?Jockets wear multiple goggles and horses return covered all over in dirt.They are not provided with goggles so why the jockey? The American horse race industry cares little for the wellbeing of the horse only for the career of the jockey and trainer. Neither of whom will speak up when the horse’s interest is threatened.Since the demise of George Washington I noticed a lack of interest from some in running their beloved horses on such treacherous surfaces.We risk losing some of our best horse to the pursuit of money(see Hannon senior’s recent statement).Not good.

Not sure if any studies have been done, but in my experience sloppy/muddy tracks are no more unsafe than fast tracks. Some trainers will scratch their horse in wet conditions, but it’s usually not due to any "danger" in running the horse-some horses despise the mud, others (Malibu Moon offspring) relish it. Many "mudders" prefer the conditions because it doesn’t sting their feet as much as a hard, fast surface.

Tracks may also be sealed before storms so that the surface won’t soak in as much water and plays like a fast track. But modern dirt tracks drain very well anyway. They are rarely labeled as "slow" and never "heavy" anymore.

The Thoroughbred did not come from the desert, it came from England. As for horses being "never intended to run in such conditions", dirt racing has existed in America since the 1700s, so only shortly after turf racing began in the UK. And the vast majority of American breeding has been for dirt horses. "How many countries allow their horses to run in such adverse circumstances": everywhere where they race on the dirt. So Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, South America, Japan, Russia and several former Soviet states, the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, etc.), and Turkey, and I’m probably missing some smaller nations.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Not sure if any studies have been done, but in my experience sloppy/muddy tracks are no more unsafe than fast tracks. Some trainers will scratch their horse in wet conditions, but it’s usually not due to any "danger" in running the horse-some horses despise the mud, others (Malibu Moon offspring) relish it. Many "mudders" prefer the conditions because it doesn’t sting their feet as much as a hard, fast surface.

Tracks may also be sealed before storms so that the surface won’t soak in as much water and plays like a fast track. But modern dirt tracks drain very well anyway. They are rarely labeled as "slow" and never "heavy" anymore. Mud caulks are used to give more traction on shoes.

The Thoroughbred did not come from the desert, it came from England. As for horses being "never intended to run in such conditions", dirt racing has existed in America since the 1700s, so only shortly after turf racing began in the UK. And the vast majority of American breeding has been for dirt horses. "How many countries allow their horses to run in such adverse circumstances": everywhere where they race on the dirt. So Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, South America, Japan, Russia and several former Soviet states, the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain, etc.), and Turkey, and I’m probably missing some smaller nations.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.