The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breathing Ops – should they be subject to greater scrutiny?

Home Forums Horse Racing Breathing Ops – should they be subject to greater scrutiny?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Paul Nicholls reports that more than 20 of his string have had breathing operations during the summer. Mr Nicholls seems to be the chief advocate for this process.

Does anyone have any stats on the effectiveness of this surgery? Anecdotally, my impression is that they rarely offer more than very short term benefit.

If the stats show they are of benefit, should trainers be obliged formally to declare them before the horse next runs?

If Mr Nicholls who, arguably has his pick of the best and healthiest horses, deems surgery necessary on such a high percentage of his string, how many among the general population of racehorses suffer breathing problems?

Should horses with breathing problems be racing at all? (welfare issue?)

Surgery is invasive and must carry a degree of risk to the animal; if medication were available to do the same job, would the BHA allow it to be administered? If not why is a different medical intervention allowed which produces the same result?

Are breathing ops performed to correct ‘faults’or enhance oxygen intake in an otherwise healthy animal? If the latter, should they be permitted?

I’ve asked Paul Struthers (head of communications at the BHA) if the BHA keep any stats on horses who’ve had breathing ops. Paul says that , in short, they do not. He points out that there are numerous different procedures which tend to be bracketed as ‘breathing ops).

Joe
    http://wp.me/p1o7dN-yR

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

My twopennorth:

1. All medical procedures (including breathing ops) should be disclosed before a horse runs again.
    2. Any horse which has undergone a medical procedure (including breathing op) to correct an inherited physical defect should be prohibited from being used for breeding purposes.

IMHO Paul Nicholls sets the standard for openness on this front.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

I think the theory of having all medical procedures disclosed is reasonable but I doubt, given the likely number, that it’d be practical or enforcable. Also, where would you draw the line, in terms of medical procedures?

RedRum77RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1549

At last a subject which is neither boasting nor moaning.

Anyway breathing operations do they make a difference to a horses chance in a race. Last year I backed Niche Market in the national who had such an operation. Did that cost him a chance of staying on in the home straight, having ran such a brilliant race up to then, its hard to tell but certainly didn’t help.

Can anyone on here tell me if any horses who’ve had such an operation won a hard fought race?

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I think the theory of having all medical procedures disclosed is reasonable but I doubt, given the likely number, that it’d be practical or enforcable. Also, where would you draw the line, in terms of medical procedures?

Bearing in mind that all stables are supposed to keep very accurate medical records, it should be a simple matter to disclose what medication has been administered to a horse at any time. All other procedures would come under the heading of surgical procedures and these should be recorded on a horse’s passport so that anyone buying the horse is aware of its medical history.

The only thing I wouldn’t feel needs disclosing would be routine dental or chiropractic treatment.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

I think it should be put on the racecard [and the approx date when it was done] so we can see what effect it’s had on the horses performance. I’d also like to know whenever a mare races when she’s in foal. I know PN is very open about his horses having these operations but we still sometimes don’t hear about it till after a race.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1215

GELDING

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Breathing op seems to have worked for STRONG SUIT

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

There’s a thought. How many top class flat horses [and future stallions and brood mares] have had breathing ops?

Roseblossom
    • Total Posts 350

Pathfork has had a wind op but he hasn’t run since. Pipette has had a wind op, I think during the off season.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.