The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

International Hurdle 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion International Hurdle 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    mcnugget
    • Total Posts 5

I have Solwhit in my ten to follow so i’ll be keeping a close eye on him! Have to say i’m a bit surprised he’s entered in this,I pictured him more as a pierse hurdle/tote gold trophy horse this season, he has a potentially very tasty handicap mark at the moment

bahram
    • Total Posts 66

If the ground is soft on Sunday we will not see the best of Katchit and the 4lb+ he has to concede some of his rivals will not help either.
    Hopefully this will be the case and the bookies push him out a bit further after a narrow but honourable defeat.
    Then while many on this forum and around the world are going on about Binocular and CAJ I can clean up without hassle.
    The Supreme Novice form is NOT STRONG.It is an ILLUSION.
    CAJ WON A NOVICES HANDICAP RECEIVING LUMPS OF WEIGHT!!
    YOU ARE BEING TURNED OVER!!

If what I say all turns out to be rubbish and Binocular or CAJ win the CH I wiil run naked and potless down the hill at Cheltenham after the Champion Hurdle.Fair enough?

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

If the ground is soft on Sunday we will not see the best of Katchit and the 4lb+ he has to concede some of his rivals will not help either.
    Hopefully this will be the case and the bookies push him out a bit further after a narrow but honourable defeat.
    Then while many on this forum and around the world are going on about Binocular and CAJ I can clean up without hassle.
    The Supreme Novice form is NOT STRONG.It is an ILLUSION.
    CAJ WON A NOVICES HANDICAP RECEIVING LUMPS OF WEIGHT!!
    YOU ARE BEING TURNED OVER!!

If what I say all turns out to be rubbish and Binocular or CAJ win the CH I wiil run naked and potless down the hill at Cheltenham after the Champion Hurdle.Fair enough?

Not sure. What do you look like?

Zip

• Total Posts 2184

Very bold statement to be making bahram! :lol:

I’m sort of with you on CAJ though. He’d be at least twice the price he currently is for the champion if he hadn’t have been put up by a tipping line. Was hardly receiving lumps of weight though. Ashkazar carried 11-12 and CAJ 11-10.

The Supreme was the best renewal since 2004 though and Binocular has impressed me greatly. However, I’m not sure if Cheltenham is going to play to his strengths. He was all over the winner at the second last but Captain Cee Bee out stayed and in my opinion out battled him up the hill. it was no surprise to me to see him bolt up at Aintree given the vastly different configuration of that particular track.

Think the ground will be similar enough on Saturday than it was in the CH last year so I can’t see that being an excuse for Katchit if he’s turned over on Saturday.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Anyone know if Solwhit is an intended runner?

Looks to have been a bit of cash for him this week, but not so big a plunge as to suggest he will definitely go to post.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I cant help thinking that too much is being made of Binoculars supposed dislike of undulating tracks. the evidence is based on one run which was the fourth of his career. And it wasnt as if he was hammered. Sometimes i think we look for too much evidence..if that makes sense. perhaps two and two making five is a better way of describing this

Hes a developing horse (apparently substantially during the summer). Aintree could have just been straightforward improvement. I also find it hard to believe that a course configuration is going to turn around a seven length beating (could have been 12 frankly) of the runner up

Cant back him at the price, but a race to savour

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Fair point.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I don’t know if you were referring to my short-lived post, Clive (I thought it was a pretty throw-away comment myself). If so, I’ll save you looking like a nutcase and post it again: :mrgreen:

the evidence is based on one run which was the fourth of his career.

It may be for most, but seeing him in the flesh hardened my view that Binocular is a complete speedball, lending weight to the theory that the stiff nature of Cheltenham will never play to his strengths.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

An unofficial source from another gaff tells me that Solwhit is apparently an intended starter. Connections reckon the race may cut-up somewhat, and they think he is well capable of getting into the places.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Bit of interest in the horse for the Champion Hurdle as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I cant help thinking that too much is being made of Binoculars supposed dislike of undulating tracks. the evidence is based on one run which was the fourth of his career. And it wasnt as if he was hammered. Sometimes i think we look for too much evidence..if that makes sense. perhaps two and two making five is a better way of describing this

Hes a developing horse (apparently substantially during the summer). Aintree could have just been straightforward improvement. I also find it hard to believe that a course configuration is going to turn around a seven length beating (could have been 12 frankly) of the runner up

Cant back him at the price, but a race to savour

Clivex

Behave yourself! :lol:
    Are you suggesting that Binocular improved so much within 3 weeks?
    If so, his ‘substantial development’ through the summer should mean not only will he win Saturday , but also the Champion Hurdle, the Arkle, the Gold Cup, and probably Wimbledon too?
    Celestial Halo showed his worth without a test of his stamina at Doncaster, where he was beaten pointless by Sentry Duty, who runs in a handicap Saturday of 144. Judging Binocular on his defeat of CH at Aintree is just plain wrong.
    Imo, of course. 8)

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Regardless, he [Solwhit] was smart on the Flat, remains unexposed over hurdles, and an OR of 148 puts…

Grasshopper, I have been told it is 140 BHA and 127 ITC. Doesn’t change my perception of how good Solwhit may be in hurdles, but it does somewhat alter my perception of what the ideal campaign for the horse might be…

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Yeah, I noticed my error last night, Pru, but didn’t see much point in going back 4 pages to correct it! :mrgreen:

I agree that Solwhit’s current rating is there to be exploited in a major handicap, and can only assume that – if they do decide to run – they think he can become a serious player in the Champion Hurdle market. I therefore took a price a couple of days back (not quite three-figures, but close enough).

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Are you suggesting that Binocular improved so much within 3 weeks?

why not? It was only his fourth run….is it timespan or experience that improves a horse?

Sentry Duty has bounced back and could still be underrated off 144. he won that last race very nicely.

Judging Binocular on his defeat of CH at Aintree is just plain wrong.

Oh ok. We will pretend it didnt happen then :roll: :roll:

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Regardless, he [Solwhit] was smart on the Flat, remains unexposed over hurdles, and an OR of 148 puts…

Grasshopper, I have been told it is 140 BHA and 127 ITC. Doesn’t change my perception of how good Solwhit may be in hurdles, but it does somewhat alter my perception of what the ideal campaign for the horse might be…

ITC? Solwhit is rated 141 over hurdles here.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Thanks, Aidan. I keep being misinformed. That makes more sense.

• Total Posts 2184

Solwhit is an intended runner in this according to Davy Russell in his column in The Irish Star. He said that Charles Byrnes didn’t have much other option but to go for this after the handicapper was "very severe" on him after his win at Fairyhouse.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.