The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Born Under A Bad Sign

Home Forums Horse Racing Born Under A Bad Sign

Viewing 9 posts - 35 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Count me in as another Exotic Dancer fan.

Also want to give a mention to Forpadydeplasterer, a horse who managed to come second to different horses seven races in a row.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 1403

Geordieland’s overall record consisted of nearly half of his races suffering seconditis. Would’ve won two Ascot Gold Cups if Yeats didn’t exist.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

I would like to nominate Youmzain. 2nd in the Arc three times and also 2nd to Rail Link at Longchamp a month before that horse went on to win the Arc.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Some wonderful horses on this thread. I think sometimes those that are repeatedly gallant runners-up end up being remembered more fondly than the winners.

Red Cadeaux deserves a mention for being a three-time runner-up in the Melbourne Cup, as does Prince of Arran who was placed three times in the same event more recently.

Re horses with a particular nemesis, Fil Dor must be starting to wonder if Vauban is his. Yesterday saw the third time that Fil Dor came second to Vauban in a Grade 1.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

I liked Red Cadeaux. He won’t be remembered as a champion but he was a total warrior even to the extent of being carried out on his shield. It’s tough on the horse that he never got the retirement he so completely deserved. Without winning too often (7/54) Red Cadeaux amassed career earnings of £5m, illustrating the rewards obtainable through enterprising campaigns.

Youmzain won £340K but earned £3.4m for similarly impressive placed efforts.

It did take some doing by Forpadydeplasterer to run up that sequence. It’s a shame we can’t allow him 7 nemeses but the Greek myth permits only one. (A significant exception to this rule would be Batman, who had nemeses coming out of his ears.)

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7766

Have to give Excelebration a mention. Would’ve had an unbeaten 4 year European campaign but it was same year as Frankel.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

“Solwhit was runner-up to Hurricane Fly in four Grade 1 Hurdles in 2010-11, so he is another one for the list.”

Marlingford,

Thousand Stars surely rates an honourable mention in despatches for finishing behind Hurricane Fly 11 times with form figures of 52233324343.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Indeed Seasider, and I’ve also since realised that Solwhit managed to beat Hurricane Fly once, so let’s remove him from this thread entirely!

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

There was no particular nemesis for Song In The Air but I’m reliably informed that Barry Hills trained this filly to finish second 10 times in a row during 1973-1974.

She eventually broke her duck after a transfer to Frank Carr.

Viewing 9 posts - 35 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.