The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Booze

Home Forums Lounge Booze

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

According to the Government 23% of men and 9% of women are binge drinkers and they want to raise the level of tax paid on alchol, to help us save ourselves.

I don’t think that there is any way that the Government or anyone else can put a figure of 23% on the male population and that they are probably just making it up, in order to raise more cash to fund dastardly deeds. The same as they did with smoking.

.. does anyone else have an opinion ?

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Yes, but I have such a bad hangover I’ve forgotten what it is.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Much rather see further taxation on smoking and tobacco based products, but then again I would say that as i don’t smoke!

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

It’s no business of a government if its citizens decided to get p**ssed (providing those citizens don’t cause any one else any hassle). This is just another excuse to raise revenue disguised as a "governmemnt initiative".<br>Ditto the clamour to impose "green" taxes. Can’t imagine too many politicians giving up their cars / subsidised air travel / booze. They (MPs that is) make me want to throw-up over them.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Define binge-drinking, I have the feeling the government’s definition is very different to mine.

Colin

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

As Seabird say’s the governments definition of a binge drinker is probably someone who drinks more than 2 pints in one session.

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

I think I read the definition as being 9 or more units in a session.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I suppose the government are saying that if you consume 9 units of booze in any one sitting, then your a binge drinker ?

.. I have to admit, I am a binge drinker and require taxing !

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

According to the Government 23% of men and 9% of women are binge drinkers

I’m surprised it’s so low.

(maybe because I live in Scotland)

I think that drunkenness is very damaging for society as a whole. It’s a major factor in violent crime for a start.

Smoking is heavily taxed on the basis that it affects non-smokers.

So, by the same logic, alcohol is fair game for heavy tax, too.

So, for me, it’s a question of whether I agree with the heavy tax on smoking …. to which I’d reply, "as a non-smoker, fuk them!"

Steve

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

It’s only that low as they interviewed just the Over 18’s.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Smoking is heavily taxed on the basis that it affects non-smokers.<br>stevedvg Posted on 8:39 am on Oct. 31, 2006

<br>.. come off it! It’s taxed heavily because it can be. The only people the government are interested in is themselves. Raising taxes gives them more money and therefore more power and resources to control. Your line of arguement should mean that things that are good for you should be free .. like education, fruit and veg.

Who would have thought 15 years ago that you would be paying £40/week council tax ?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Some of us drink to forget our council tax!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.