The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Books?????

Home Forums Horse Racing Books?????

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Garvee
    • Total Posts 18

<br>Hi All<br>Long time since I was on here.<br>Just a quick question.<br>Can anybody recommend a good book on horse selection/handicapping.<br>I’ve read the Potts’, Mordins, Lee -priests,etc, but I’d like to read something that concentrates more on actually selecting a horse(s) in a race.<br>Thanks a lot<br>Cheers

Garvee

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Read anything by Dr Peter May top class.  Best of his books is Forecasting Methonds for Horseracing, published by High Stakes.

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Jon Gibby for UK flat racing.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Not read it myself, but been told

Sprint Handicaps explained is worth a read

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Sprint Handicaps explained is a good way of getting a simplistic grip of handicapping. I supposed used in conjuction with many other books – it can help pick selections.

Betting on flat handicaps by Jon Gibby – is probably the most easy to follow/good sense guide to selecting horses I’ve come across for UK racing.

slipperytoadslipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

Agree with the previous post regading the Gibby book.

to answer your question I would definiately suggest

"Braddocks Complete Guide To Horse Race Selection and Betting"

(Edited by slipperytoad at 11:26 pm on Dec. 9, 2006)

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Chompy’s "Backing The Draw For profit" has some nice pictures in it. :biggrin:

Mike

Garvee
    • Total Posts 18

Thanks guys.<br>I’ve heard good things about Braddocks book and having trawled through celebrity q&a’s on here, note that Dr. Peter seems to like it.

Obviously if it proves to be too much of an itellectual wrestle, I’ll opt for the one with the nice pictures-Do you know if they’re in colour??:biggrin:

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I don’t think anything related to code breaking is worth reading!

—–<br>Disclosure Protocol [ON]

(Edited by Wallace at 1:57 pm on Dec. 10, 2006)

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

For me, Peter Braddock’s ‘Complete Guide to Horse Race Selection And Betting’ is The Bible/Qu’ran/Bravo Two Zero of racing literature. It’s a thick hardback, written in rather a formal, scholarly way (as it should be); while Braddock has a logical, rational approach to selecting horses. It has chapters on everything (you can ‘search inside this book’ and read the table of contents on amazon.co.uk).

It changed my appraoch. It made me realise that, before I could progess, I had to, paradoxically, return to the fundamentals, to cleanse my mind of clutter and groundless theories.

And (this is the inspiring bit), now I lose slightly less money.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Braddocks is now seriously dated IMO – but will give you the fundamentals.

If you can get a copy of one of Chompy’s books – go for it – lovely pics :biggrin: – Alas, any value in backing the draw has now gone.

Like most theories – they peak and trough in terms of value – Chompy found a massive edge, then everyone jumped on the bandwagon and now the value has gone, maybe just going back to Braddocks and following the advice given in there will lead to value selections.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.