The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Books for Christmas 2

Home Forums Lounge Books for Christmas 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

As the other Books for Christmas thread has gone, er, off topic here is one for those who do want to have a wee chat about what books they will be asking for in their stockings.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

One for next Christmas maybe, from Prufrock?

‘And indeed, there will be Time’

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Aranalde, in nearly five years of posting on forums, you are the first person to have got that particular reference. The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock contains several references, explicit and implicit, to time and to the passage of time. Well done.

Ooops! Off message.

The book I am looking forward to reading most in the coming months is "The God Delusion" by Professor Richard Dawkins. It is most unlikely to contain any references to horse racing and betting, but, if you want to witness a living genius and brilliant writer telling it as it is in a no-nonsense style, Dawkins is your man.  

RobinFromIreland
    • Total Posts 72

…The book I am looking forward to reading most in the coming months is "The God Delusion" by Professor Richard Dawkins…

Seconded. Perhaps the most naturally talented scientific author of all time.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

It is ironic (I am sure the point is not lost on Dawkins) that he inspires an almost religious fervour in many of his fans.

I had the pleasure of attending a lecture of his a couple of years back and was lost for words when the opportunity presented itself to speak to the great man.

Dawkins’ "The Selfish Gene" is the single most important book I have read, as much for the fact that it got me to look at the world in a different way as for the subject matter.

Malc Smith
    • Total Posts 61

I’ve just been informed by Amazon that my copy is being prepared for dispatch right now.

Dawkins’ views are refreshing after listing to my (ex) wife’s nonsensical religious zealot bleatings.

I’m looking forward to reading this one.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

It’s the new edition of Hunter Chasers and Point-to-Pointers for me, predictably. I’m sure it’ll provide the necessary stimulus for me as I prepare to pen my next meisterwerk, Grayson’s Gazzetteer of Grim Northern Permit-Holders, Vol. XXIV.

gc<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 6:29 pm on Sep. 27, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Although generally a little of Dawkins goes a long way he was often quoted in The Independent in the period leading up to the invasion of Iraq and very sound he was on that subject.

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Gus,

Agreed and a shame that he is so bigoted that any views he has of interest get dismissed by more informed and open minded people of influence.

One book for those of gambling inclinations is Fooled By Randomness by Nassim Taleb.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Second that one- a great read for anyone participating in markets of any kind, financial or sporting- clarified my thinking on a lot of odds-related issues.<br>His basic premise is that in any market a small number of participants will be sucessful purely due to chance and may attain God-like status because of nothing but lucky rolling of the dice.<br>Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned "Taken for a Ride" by Irish on-course nutter bookie Francis Hyland, an excellent read, detailing the various characters, coups and cons on the Turf in Ireland and England since racing began, including when a pig beat a horse in a match over 60 yards at 10/1!

(Edited by carvillshill at 11:24 pm on Sep. 28, 2006)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.