The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bookmakers…

Home Forums Horse Racing Bookmakers…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

We hear so much these days that horseracing is becoming less and less part of the bookmakers turnover, that nobody likes going into these smoky dens of iniquity:cool: :biggrin: , the bookmakers staff don’t like their working conditions, well why don’t we make them illegal.

In the past the idea of a Tote monoply has been rubbished as being of no use to the serious punter as he has no idea of what odds a horse will go off at but with the advent of exchanges that isn’t the case.

Couldn’t the racing authorities employ the best computer techies and betting experts to set up their own exchange.

Alright not everyone has access to the internet at home but surely offices could be set up in the same way as betting offices have flourished in the past.

What about the on-course bookmakers who contribute to the colour and the day-at-the-races experience?…. well there is no reason why they couldn’t continue to operate in the way that they do at the moment. They have almost become an irrelevance any way.

This post isn’t entirely serious, as my tongue is firmly in my cheek and I can’t seeing it happening in my lifetime but I thought it might be a subject that could do with an airing.

Colin

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I’ve never understood why the tote couldn’t be used as the "SP".

Why not have it so bookies can either offer their own pre-race prices or an bet where they put the money into the tote pool?

(i.e. do away with the current SP option)

The bookies would get a big slice of the take out from the money they put into the pool (leaving the tote with the smaller share, but that smaller share is more than the zero they’d have otherwise received).

The tote – and, therefore, racing – would take in more money which should allow them to cut the %ge take-out and still haev more profit left over to re-invest in racing.

And the tote pools would be so much stronger that a punter could have a meaningful bet into them.

(and, there would still be the take-a-board-price or use the tote options on course)

Is there something I’m missing or does this idea actually make a little bit of sense?

Steve  

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

And admission charges could be drastically cut as in France

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

I’m all in favour of an off-course HRA tote monopoly. When you see the kind of facilities available in countries where they don’t have bookies creaming off billions of pounds every year it’s really exasperating what we have to put up with for a day at the races.

Sure, they add a bit of colour and atmosphere and I’d be happy to keep them on course in the short term but ultimatley we don’t need them and, as Seabird says, an HRA-run exchange isn’t beyond our ken.

cubone
    • Total Posts 70

Ever since 1928 when the tote was introduced there has been many who thought that any day they would now create a tote monopoly 1960 was a golden opportunity, with the Betting Shop Revolution.<br>But no this country has always pumped for a CHOICE. <br>in Betting.

We have the best of all oportunities here.<br>Tote<br>Fixed odds<br>Spead betting<br>Starting Prices<br>Exchanges.

And do you honestly beleave a move to a monopoly will be the best way foreward.

You must see that in france there is no such thing as a pro punter. unless he is betting into the illegal Marsielle<br>industry.

I am old fashioned and do like a choice.

But you may be right. but its not for me.

Cubone

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Quote: from cubone

But you may be right. but its not for me.

Cubone

:old:

Dear chumold good to see you writing and hope your daily walks that take in fish ponds are still as enjoyable. Your words above seem fair enough, but in my honest opinion and my beard also tells me that the Tote’s growth has been unaturally supressed to the advantages of youknowwho fratermity. <br>      I think Australia where a lot of pro bettors emigrated after the huge hike in tax i think from 4 to 9% had and has a possibly more open system – bets to $5000 dollar does have a better ring of confidence than " sorry mate I’m all done on that one "

flatcapgamble…"Ill take your max and throw in your pitch for good measure – it’s sun and shade and excellent to entertain a lady poodle "

cubone
    • Total Posts 70

Gamble I am the only one left at the big house and would you beleave that i got an award as betafair (July)mouthy month.

Not the same and I miss you and the original dozen <br>There was a lot of stalkers over the past 2 years,but they seem to have died out.old age or joind some other cult.

Hope you are well and doing great.

Good Luck from Me and from DD.I know he will endorse that comment when I speak to him.

Cubone

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

I agree with Gamble. The Oz system is a cracker. Off course money is blown to the course as its bet so the pools are really strong. On course Bookies for atmosphere and they take massive bets too.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Galejade it’s only your 11th post so there’s an ocean tide of time<br>    to disagree with me, however loved the cracker reference and like magic it’s a strong word. Adelaide has had some very strange weather of late  – very cold expectedly but very heavy Lingfield car park rain which is highly unusual.

Cubby my :old: sparring partner and friend – you always were the one for accolades on the blue channel. I must say, Those old days were all bit of fun, and, as I do remember well, highly competitive and I like you, loved an audience –  but unlike you – I didn’t always demand one :biggrin: – however it was difficult to compete with your lifetime of accumulated tales, try as I sometimes did to unship you, and I ended up punchline drunk with the effort

I certainly will muscling in on the blue again, at some point in time, but I am not naive enough to think the old charm is still there – however the latter days of fightclub were also highly enthralling !

Strange you are the only :old:’ee remaining.

As for me being well, hmmm that state has always eluded me, in fact I am always rather unwell and write to restore some balance in an extremely  troubled head. Duncoln D is still at Gary’s so I read him from time to time. Excellent news on your prize and it doesn’t surprise me. I had so few I decided to award myself a world prize ;)

I am very unhappy with my contributions of late – something on the darkl side is taking hold of me, and may not be totally in control and consequently have tripped out a few carnage posts – which have surprised me. Writing is a mirror.

(Edited by gamble at 11:22 pm on Aug. 12, 2006)

cubone
    • Total Posts 70

Gamble I havnt received the prize yet but I have been told to expect a free £100 bet for in running on ATR.<br>Not sure how much that will be worth.

Reminds me of when Lester Piggott was riding for a women champion Dog breeder.

She wispered to the trainer <br>Tell the jockey if he wins I will give him a prize PUPPY.

Lester whispered in the trainers other ear.

TELL HER I WOULD SOONER HAVE A MONKEY>:biggrin:

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

You must see that in france there is no such thing as a pro punter.

How do you know?

There is no shortage of pro punters in other countries operating a tote monopoly and all it needs here is the chance. Once punters realise they’ll get better odds without bookies they’ll happily play.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Boney a nice tale and difficult to better but I feel the :old:<br>competitiveness coming back and will throw this one into the ring.

As you know the Inland Revenue finally caught up with old stoneface but few know exactly how Hector scupoered him and allow me, the strange wayward son of betfair to impart the detail.

<br> [ Removed from the public domain by the Addyman ( who doesn’t add but strangely takes away) ]

Posssibly getting a bit sensitive in my internet dotage but the matter was basically private and I have always been a piglet fan and my disclosure although I believe accurate was a bit Sun’nchips

<br> flatcapgamble..the Minstel was an easier ride than the bolt on Commancce Run in the Irish but Piggot just got fed up with necks that day :cool:

<br>  p.s. I do remeber ‘dangerous’ the most irritatiing spoiler poster on Betfair – however our Kotijket on here made him look like a monkey on an organ grinder with his awful drip of days posting – what will be revealed in 57 days ? You guessed it nothing !

(Edited by gamble at 12:18 am on Aug. 13, 2006)<br>

(Edited by gamble at 7:34 am on Aug. 14, 2006)

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Strange that you should mention tax Gamble. Since GPT/profit related levy was brought in  bookies’ racing profits have conveniently gone South, all the way into the red in some cases.

"Sorry guv, no profits this month. We just laid £25k-£250ew four times about Exponential on our website that has 3k maximum takeouts…yes we are having a word with our techies to see how they managed it"

It seems that Mark Coton’s wet dream has come true. All the profits have gone and the punters have stormed the citadel. So why are bookies still around?

cubone
    • Total Posts 70

Nice one Gamble.

Without Bookies there would be no one to argue with at the races.

And who whould  buy all those chech suits and spats.:biggrin:

Cubone

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Having spent yesterday banging my head against a brick wall at Ascot, a.k.a. trying to get a result at the Shergar Cup meeting (still haven’t met anyone who thought Tucker came second), I have to concede that the on-course market is in serious decline. I laid a £2,500/£1,000 Young Mick to an off-course firm but the next biggest bet after that was a £700/£100 each-way and the majority were £2 each-ways. Fortunately I bought the spread on how many times I would have to explain to Charlotte Church fans that "£2 each-way costs £4" as they passed me a shiny £2 coin (pint of weak Australian lager costing £3.20 in the other) – made up at 85. Roll on Cheltenham!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.