The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bookies go SP only on selected races on the AW

Home Forums Horse Racing Bookies go SP only on selected races on the AW

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

at last the bookies have copped on , the mountain of low grade AW dross is now turning against them with gambles landed , featuring Jiggery Pokery of the highest level …..

Are you still betting on the All Weather ….

Not for much longer if this persists :mrgreen:

What price the entire AW programme is settled at sp only ???

imo

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

3 of those in Arnolds gambles have run shockers so far with just Profile Star winning who had a very strong chance anyway, Brown Pete still to run of the 5, so hardly gamble landed there just yet.

I would imagine with Mr Curley pulling their pants down once again they are a tad bit paranoid and sensitive to their share price just now.

Yes, I am still betting on the AW, 37pts up in 2014 thus far only having bet on the AW.

Participant
    • Total Posts 537

It’s impossible to identify ability on AW, so expert have trainers become in hiding it. You never know what is lurking in any field.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Suspected betting coup seems to be the reason:

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra … t7DaysNews

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

When I started working in the betting industry in the late 1980’s the big firms tended to offer early prices only on handicaps and the established big listed and group races.

During the early 90’s the small chain I worked for decided to buy in tissue prices, which came through by fax from Manchester and covered almost every race of the day.

It wasn’t long before we saw a fairly large number of new accounts being opened, and without exception it was business from punters who wired into the odds that were exclusively from the tissue list.

In a matter of months it became clear that we were being carved up by people who were beating SP by quite a margin in some cases. The final straw came when we laid a horse running in a bumper from 25/1 down into 13/8. The horse opened at the latter odds on the racecourse before being backed into 11/8 and hosing in by about 20 lengths. It turned out that the horse was owned by a guy in Nairn, where we had one of our branches, and the world and his wife were on before we managed to pull our drawers on.

In the present era it seems much easier to get an early quote on most races but perhaps bookies are erring on the side of caution again after the Curley shenanigans.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

I see that Brown Pete was a non-runner in the 9.10 at Kempton. The reason for this was "no suitable jockey available". I have to be careful what I say here but how do you define "suitable"?? Incidentally the declaration was only made at 8.00pm.

Today has not been a good day for all-weather racing – roll on the turf flat season!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Well, Martin Harley was due to ride him so perhaps no one wanted to take the ride at 9.10.

There was a couple of jockeys from the 8.40 that could have stayed on. Perhaps though they just did not want to and wanted to get home.

Wouldn’t have been many people left at the track at that point.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

How touching, the BHA hand in hand with the bookmakers.

Where are the BHA when bookmakers regularly manipulate the odds to enable a larger rule 4 deduction when a horse bolts, does 2 circuits or wont go in the stalls and is long odds on not to run?

Why take a chance with horses when you’ve got FOBT’s?

Bookmakers are bad for racing and bad for punters, with a Tote/Exchange monopoly Stephen Arnold & Tony Newcombe could have had as much as they wanted on their horses and other punters could take advantage or not, as they saw fit.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

….with a Tote/Exchange monopoly Stephen Arnold & Tony Newcombe could have had as much as they wanted on their horses and other punters could take advantage or not, as they saw fit.

doesn’t quite work like that in HK.

the major moves tend to happen less than 10 seconds before the off, as the significant syndicates / illegals will hide their true hands from each other until the last instant to stop rival / copycat money impacting their assessed returns.

money-moves that give an ordinary punter enough time to react tend to be red herrings thrown out to mislead copycats.

money-followers tend to get a break only if a horse already in the stalls plays up just as the last horse enters and the start then gets delayed at that very last moment.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Spot on Eddie , Mr Bittar is a bookies man for sure

lets not be in any doubt who really rules our sport , its certainly not the BHA ….

imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

To be fair, this was quite the worst attempt at a betting coup since I bodged on Dream Ahead at all rates to beat that over-hyped fav in the 2010 Dewhurst.

Mike

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Got a right yellow streak these Turf Accountants nowadays.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

The ‘no suitable jockey available’ line should be read as no jockey on site willing to ride for this owner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

To quote the old saying from BBC execs in turmoil, the BHA needs to ‘get a grip’ on this pretty quickly, or the AW will start to look like flapping meetings.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

I notice that

of Ann Stokell’s runners yesterday were the subject of either a Stewards Inquiry or the trainer being asked why they ran badly at Lingfield and Kempton.

This must be a record on one day surely!!

I think it’s time the BHA suspended her for "bringing the game into disrepute"!!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Joe , you would think that would be the case , however its a catch 22 . the AW is bookie fodder , even if it brings racing down to the gutter daily , the BHA is powerless to say anything , the bookies / the levy rule the day

I would be in favour of a total punter boycott until the integrity of racing is restored , currently it lies in a shambolic mess

If that means redefining the races that can be run and more to the point , the Bha monitor each race as its run , with lifetime bans for transgressors , then the situation would become pretty much sorted …but dont hold your breath !!!!

in my opinion of course

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

More fun at Kempton …..horse with no form , bolts up , anchored in last place by baker , came storming through…and yes it was well supported in the betting late on ….returned at 9/1 … form figures looked like 10/10 8/8 11/11 (twice)…10/13 etc he should have been 33/1 or much bigger ….

11 runs to date no form

this evening he bolts up

familiar story ???

Sp looks more and more likely every day ….in these low grade affairs form means absolutely nothing :mrgreen:

Nice job connections !!!!

imo

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.