The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bob Woolmer

Home Forums General Sports Bob Woolmer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

The Pakistan cricket team coach was found dead in his hotel room the night his team was knocked out of the World Cup. Police are treating the death as suspicious and a leading West Indian newspaper is reporting he had a fractured bone in his neck.

Was he really murdered? Who would want to kill Woolmer? Is it possible that Woolmer was going to let slip allegations of corruption within cricket? Is cricket corrupt? So many questions, so few answers.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

The police now state that he was murdered and if you believe the newspapers then he was murdered because the game against the West Indies was fixed and he was about to blow the whistle on it all. I don’t know much about cricket but wasn’t a South African captain caught for fixing a game a few years ago?

Horse racing, soccer, snooker, cricket – it seems to me that few sports are free of corruption:(  

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Hanse Cronje admitted match fixing and various others have been banned/fined for admitted receiving money in return for either deliberately fixing the outcome of games or providing ‘information’ (Mark Waugh and Shane Warne fell into this latter category).

If this is linked to corruption around the West Indies/Pakistan game, then I don’t really see how the tournament can continue. A report by a British police commissioner (I forget his name) concluded a few years ago that corruption was endemic in the game but very little has been done. Meanwhile there has been an explosion in cricket betting in recent times. If there are match fixers operating in the World Cup as we speak and they are prepared to murder a respected and well known coach, then this is more than a crisis, it threatens the credibility and maybe even the existence of the international game.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1386

There is a huge amount of speculation surrounding the circumstances of Bob Woolmers death.

There is no doubt  that Cricket has a problem with match fixing. There  have been  fixing scandals in many sports, Cricket, Rugby League and Union, Tennis, Golf, Horse Racing, Association Football, Boxing, Snooker, Tiddlywinks and Dancing on Ice.

Most of these are linked to betting, and in turn to money Laundering and organised crime. <br>Its not a big surprise, but the big surprise is that people are suprised.<br>For the record, I hope that the Cricket World Cup carries on in memory of a great England Cricketer and Cricket Coach.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Indeed, cricket’s link with betting goes right back to the 17th Century when it was the most popular betting medium, more so than horse racing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.