The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Black Caviar retired

Home Forums Horse Racing Black Caviar retired

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

A bit of a sad day as the champ Black Caviar has been retired.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Wow – that’s a bit of a shock. Sad indeed. Never to be forgotten though.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 16966

That came out of the blue, but happy she has retired with her unbeaten record in tact.

Hope all is well with her and that she has a long and happy retirement. :D

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    • Total Posts 433

That’s a bit of a surprise! A unique mare and she’s certainly earned her retirement. I wish her all the best for her future.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Sad news, but what a great racehorse, the best sprinter I’ve seen.

she’s been a wonderful advertisement for the sport.

Happy retirement Nelly!

• Total Posts 275

Sad news… Will she visit

Frankel

first does anybody know?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Not remotely ‘sad news’ at all!

Retires in good health and unbeaten on the back of another superb performance.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Always a great shame when an exceptional horse retires. Anyone else think that her last success appeared slightly more workmanlike compared to her other wins?

Nevertheless, Black Caviar was an absolute bombshell of a sprinter and thoroughly deserves her place amongst the elite.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Not remotely ‘sad news’ at all!

Retires in good health and unbeaten on the back of another superb performance.

Mike

You beat me to it Mike, spot on.

I was incredulous reading people saying it is "sad"

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Always a great shame when an exceptional horse retires. Anyone else think that her last success appeared slightly more workmanlike compared to her other wins?

I thought that too. I watched it live on ATR and felt rather flat afterwards I have to say. I thought she looked a bit more laboured than in other runs. Didn’t flow with the same ease and grace as you’d expect with a mare of her class. Maybe they found something amiss that they’re not letting on about, since this came out of the blue rather.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

Incredulous that there is a tinge of sadness?It is knowing that you will not get the chance to see them race again,a common reaction to retirements of great horses or sports persons. As for her last win all you have to do is watch Bel Sprinter win the Group 1 Galaxy at his prior start.His win was one of the most dominant wins in a Group 1 in the last 10 years and she put over 5 lengths on him! He beat a very good field of sprinters winning the Galaxy by 3 lengths,the second horse Epaulette is extremely good.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Incredulous that there is a tinge of sadness?It is knowing that you will not get the chance to see them race again,a common reaction to retirements of great horses or sports persons. As for her last win all you have to do is watch Bel Sprinter win the Group 1 Galaxy at his prior start.His win was one of the most dominant wins in a Group 1 in the last 10 years and she put over 5 lengths on him! He beat a very good field of sprinters winning the Galaxy by 3 lengths,the second horse Epaulette is extremely good.

Jolly there are people on this forum who don’t do emotion. Don’t do sentiment. That’s quite alright – we are all different. Some genuinely don’t see why the fact that we won’t get to see this great mare thrill us again should be sad.

In the UK these days we are often told not to be too "sentimental". I am not sure when being sentimental became a bad thing but it worries because I am VERY sentimental. I cherish the old days. I cherish Kris, Shergar, Night Nurse. I cry when I hear Peter O’ Sullevan saying "and it’s hats off…. you’ve never heard a reception like it". I miss Frankel. I will miss Black Caviar.

I think it is sad. The end of an era.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

HorseWithNoName
    • Total Posts 51

She was that good it became boring to watch.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I disagree, she was a joy to watch. But I was also fan of Pepper’s Pride and Rapid Redux who accumulated win streaks against far inferior company to what BC’s been facing.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Jolly there are people on this forum who don’t do emotion. Don’t do sentiment.

It has absolutely nothing to do with emotion or sentiment.

The horse is unbeaten, the horse has retired in one piece, in good health and now has a future as a brood mare.

Would you rather see her run on until she was beaten or injured?

She has retired when still at the top of her game, what is to be achieved by possibly running her a race too far? What more does the horse have to prove?

To be sad at her retirement is, in my view, simply being selfish.

It’s far, far better to go out at the top than to potentially decline, now that would be sad.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

You might as well say it’s selfish to enjoy racing altogether. We’re watching horses stretched to their limits, maybe risking their health and life simply for our pleasure.
    That’s racing. So you can’t really single anyone out and waggle your finger at them for being sad that one particular horse will never thrill us again. Yes I’m sure we’re all relieved she’s retired sound but of course it’s a shame we’ve no longer got the pleasure of watching a horse such as her and Frankel again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

No it didn’t!

Well there’s sadness and sadness isn’t there?

Obviously it’s a shame that we won’t have the pleasure of seeing her run again and to that extent it is ‘sad’, but the fact that she’s retired hale and hearty with an unbeaten record is nothing to be remotely ‘sad’ about.

I think it’s fairly obvious what both ‘sides’ mean here.

Mike

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.