The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Big Buck’s – the test of a true champion?

Home Forums Horse Racing Big Buck’s – the test of a true champion?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

After Paul Nicholls revealed that Big Buck’s had been given a ‘tentative’ entry in the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock as well as his more regular appointment at Newbury, my question is simple – which route would you take with the horse?

In the past Big Buck’s has had his doubters(wrongly in my opinion). Many have said that that despite his 17 straight victories, the opposition may not have been up to scratch, that it wouldn’t take a true great to fend them all off. Personally I believe that any horse capable of winning 4 straight World Hurdles and with an unbeaten stretch going back that far has to be considered a ‘great’. He may not have treated all ahead of him with the disdain of say, for arguments sake, a Frankel, but he’s always managed to get the job done, cosily the majority of the time. However, if he took his place at Haydock he’d be giving away the best part of 2 stone to his rivals, a feat that would simply have to silence the doubters wouldn’t it?

There is of course the argument that, given all that the horse has achieved, why take the risk at this stage of his career? His seasonal path has rarely swayed since his days of destruction began – Long Distance Hurdle, Long Walk Hurdle, Cleeve Hurdle(2 years out of 4), World Hurdle, Liverpool Hurdle, so why play with that with a horse turning 10 in January?

Personally I think we all know that we’re more than likely going to have this question answered for us. I’d be flabbergasted if either Nicholls or Stewart fancied Haydock and the new challenge they’ve laid before themselves, but the questions are still there to be answered. Is he good enough to give away 2 stone to his rivals and is it wise to lay his reputation on the line like this?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Yes

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I would go for it. Everybody looks back at Denman’s career with fondness, mainly because of those heroic weight-carrying performances at Newbury.

If Big Buck’s could win the Fixed Brush race, then he could be put in a similar category. That race attracts very well-handicapped hurdlers such as previous winners Diamond Harry and Dynaste, who were only a smidge below top class. Giving away two stone to something like that would be Big Buck’s greatest feat so far.

I think it could happen, too. Paul Nicholls is looking to extract every last pound of prize money in his battle with Nicky Henderson for the trainers’ championship this year. Taking the more valuable Haydock option with Big Bucks’ and sending something useful like Five Dream or Definity to mop up the Newbury race in his stead gives Nicholls a chance of winning the maximum.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

Will Big Bucks be as effective over the fixed brush hurdles as he is over conventional ones?

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

I don’t see why not. He has jumped fences and had experience of something similar in France in his youth.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

But his record over the French hurdles and to a lesser extent, the English fences, utterly pale in comparison with his record over English hurdles.

He’s clearly improved since those aforementioned forays but for me, there still has to be an element of doubt.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

They have got to do SOMETHING not to waste the obvious talent this Gelding has….to quote the jockeys father – "Staying Hurdlers are either not brave enough to jump a fence, or too slow to win a Champion.".

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I would go for it. Everybody looks back at Denman’s career with fondness, mainly because of those heroic weight-carrying performances at Newbury.

Although there is clearly a vast difference in stature between the Hennessy and the Fixed Brush Hurdle, you would have to say that if Big Buck’s were to run and win at Haydock, giving all that weight away in the process, it would certainly be reminiscent of The Tank, Denmanesque if you would. Certainly would quash the doubters and in a similar sense would make people look back at his career with a lot more fondness.

Denmanesque – new word, tell your friends :wink:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

"Denmanesque" is very good. But comparing The Tank with Big Bucks is like Manchester United versus Lyon.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

"Denmanesque" is very good. But comparing The Tank with Big Bucks is like Manchester United versus Lyon.

Comparing the two is not quite what I was going for. Was simply saying that despite his long unbeaten run, Big Buck’s is always going to have his knockers unless he does something different. Giving away 2 stone in a race like this would be ‘Denmanesque’, simply on weight carrying merit. Hope that cleared that up :D

• Total Posts 59

I personaly was think the same thing, it would be great sportmanship if he would go to Haydock ,it would be a true test how how good he realy is, and very good he is indeed. He has proved on level weights he is easily the best, though some of his wins may noy have been that convincing, no one was ever going to get by, it`s how he races. So why not up the challenge (and prize money) give him some weight, would be fascinating.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

And unless Big Bucks jumps fences or goes back to two mile hurdles he’ll NEVER be considered a Great.

Hope that’s cleared that up.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Although there is clearly a vast difference in stature between the Hennessy and the Fixed Brush Hurdle…

Although there is a difference in the stature of the race, I don’t think there would be any great difference in the level of achievement. Denman beat Grade 1 winner What A Friend in arguably his best Hennessy win, giving away chunks of weight.

Now, I am just using these horses as examples of the sort of level of horse that Big Buck’s would face in the Fixed Brush Hurdle. I know it won’t be these animals exactly. But…

Would it be any less admirable for Big Buck’s to give two stone and a beating to a Diamond Harry, a Burton Port or a Dynaste? Not to me. It would be every bit as incredible.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Hurdling and chasing are two very different discplines. Great hurdlers do not necessarily make great chasers.

My opinion is that Kauto Star must rate as Paul Nicholls’ best chaser and without question one of the best ever.

However, I also think that Big Buck’s is the most talented racehorse he has ever trained. If only he could jump a fence like Kauto Star. :? He would have been unstoppable.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Would it be any less admirable for Big Buck’s to give two stone and a beating to a Diamond Harry, a Burton Port or a Dynaste? Not to me. It would be every bit as incredible.

Nowadays no, in fact you could argue it would be greater. However when Diamond Harry and Dynaste won their respective races they weren’t the same animals they are today. To summarise I don’t think you could say Big Buck’s winning the Fixed Brush would be every bit as incredible as Denman’s Hennessys, not one bit.

And unless Big Bucks jumps fences or goes back to two mile hurdles he’ll NEVER be considered a Great.

This is a rash statement though. If Big Buck’s were to win the Fixed Brush giving away 2 stone, go unbeaten for the season yet again, winning the World Hurdle for the fifth year in succession along the way, to not call him a ‘great’ would surely be a huge injustice. For me he already is.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I was just giving those horses as examples really Boz. The Fixed Brush is so valuable that it tends to attract well-handicapped horses. Diamond Harry and Dynaste looked like they were about 20lbs well-in when they won it.

I mean that it is likely that there is probably another well-handicapped future 160s+ horse in there this year.

As far as the hurdling/chasing debate is concerned, I would rank it up with or above Denman’s Hennessy performance if Big Buck’s gave a 160 horse 28lbs and a beating

in a three mile flat race

! For raw running ability (if not the complete jumping package), that would be awesome.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Why is there this constant obsession that you have to be "versatile" to be a true champion ?
    If you are a "great" then you are simply "great".
    One can be simply good at a very many disciplines, and thereby, be versatile.
    Would you expect a great artist to be a good boxer before he was rated a true champion ?
    Its nonsense.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.