The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bewleys Berry, schooling in public?

Home Forums Horse Racing Bewleys Berry, schooling in public?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

What were they doing with Bewleys Berry today?
    Set off behind (seemingly deliberately), where as usually races up with the pace.
    Moving well in the back straight, made a move in to mid field.
    Still barely pushed along when losing ground at the end of the back straight.
    Hardly given any encouragement when pulled up.

Was this schooling in public?
    Was he lucky not to get a 40 days ban?
    Johnson did say he would need the run but the horse should still be trying his best. I am no steward but I saw little sign of that today.
    Even though he was pulled up when well behind, significantly perhaps bookmakers have only pushed him out a point for the Grand National.

Yes, I backed it. But the main bet was Micko De Beauchene.

value is everything
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

As mentioned on another thread, GT, chances are that Haydock may not agree with the horse as much as Aintree, if his below-par run at the track last year as well is any guide. I don’t suppose the new portafences appeal to every animal any more than brush hurdles do.

That he was only pushed out a point (so far) might have as much to do with nothing really grabbing the National market by the balls just yet – see also the tame effort today of Butlers Cabin, another of his closest rivals at the top of the betting. Had one or two real live Aintree prospects emerged from any of today’s cards, I might have expected a slightly more volatile reaction.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

May not be at his best at Haydock but were we shown how good / bad he was at Haydock? With the jockey seemingly not too vigourous.

value is everything
    seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Classy piece of after-timing in your original post, Ginge. :wink:

Colin

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Someone called me this morning to ask me if Butler’s Cabin was off today….I just laughed.

Earlier in the seaon someone said he wasn’t trying and Jonjo should have been pulled up by the stewards. The truth is the jockey was trying to kid the horse into running some sort of race as he’s a bit of a dog and getting him going is a job in itself. The chances of Jonjo having him 100% fit at this stage? about 1 million to one. Would be crazy to have him spot on so early.

You get this every year Ginge. They leave horses short of a gallop and some even plod round never putting them into the race. Chances are they would have no chance of winning anyway and would just blow up if put into the race and knock the horse back…….Best way is to steer well clear of any horse you think might win the National….. few trainers would have bouncing at this stage of the game, so it’s a big chance you take backing them.

You do get some winning like Cloudy Lane but come Aintree he wont be as fresh as BB nor as fit IMO

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Didnt bet on the race but it has to be said that was a very very ”tender ” rise not sure what was going on there…

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Classy piece of after-timing in your original post, Ginge. :wink:

Colin

Yep, sorry about that Colin, just wanted to emphasise that I am not "a bad loser".

value is everything
    Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 442

Why drop a bold-jumping front runner like Bewleys Berry out the back (and leave him there) if you’ve got any aspirations of winning the race ?

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

To be fair the main reason Bewleys Berry did not win is because he simply is not good enough.

I think that today the 2008 Grand National winner was probably sound asleep in his stable somewhere in Ireland then watched the races and thought "Should beat this lot easy enough……..now then time for another snooze before my trainer get me ready"

roland
    • Total Posts 302

i had no financial interest in the race ,honest, and i’m afraid i agree with ginge wholeheartedly. At no point was he put in the race or pushed to improve and bar being happy for connections of the winner and being thrilled by the entertaining finish bewleys running was the 2nd obvious feature i took from the race.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

To be fair the main reason Bewleys Berry did not win is because he simply is not good enough.

I think that today the 2008 Grand National winner was probably sound asleep in his stable somewhere in Ireland then watched the races and thought "Should beat this lot easy enough……..now then time for another snooze before my trainer get me ready"

That’s weird I was told Mr Pointment was still in England swimming at the time of the race, are you sure he’s having a holiday in Ireland?:lol:

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I think Mr Pointment was probably watching Ascot and Wincanton cheering his stable mates on then probably had a read of an A-Z to find out how far it is to Doncaster for his next prep run

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Probably Neil :wink:

Oi!! Ginge you friggin tosspot :lol: geezus mate what do you do for a living? I hope you aint a lollypop man on a kids crossing……..are you blind in one eye or two……………BB ran like a friggin pig. wasn’t stopped, no schooling in public!!! I must be mad listening to you before checking……your the worst judge in the world mate………… :)

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Did you see the race Fist, took your time to come to that conclusion.
    You ought to watch more racing and put those old martial arts movies away.
    :lol: .
    Totally different tactics and did not seem to be pushed that hard. Not saying it was stopped Fist, I am not a steward. Was surprised they did not hold an enquiry into the riding though.

Ginge

value is everything
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I was watching D’Argent …..one of the other posters had tipped as a national possible….. .wasn’t impressed….. he’ll fall IMO

Din’t pay much attention to anything else at the time Ginge.

He’s hardly a bold jumping front runner as someone suggested and sometime he is up with the pace as you said but sometimes he’s not.

They dropped him in more than usual on Saturday for sure. Perhaps to get him used to the idea. Long way at Aintree and you need one very good horse to be in the first 5 or 6 on the first circuit and still be around at the latter stages. Old Fred Winter used to believe in treating the National like two races……hunting them round for the first circuit like they weren’t off a yard then puting them into the race gradually as the went out for the final circuit……….maybe that’s the plan with him………..if it is I think they better find plan B quick :lol: He plainly wasn’t enjoying himself on Saturday and was’t anything like the horse who finsihed 2nd to Mr. Pointment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.