BETFRED – your chance to ask them about their Tote plans

Home Forums Archive Topics Celebrity Q&A’s BETFRED – your chance to ask them about their Tote plans

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Glenn 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8758

Many thanks to Betfred and, in particular, Head Of Media Mark Pearson who helped set this up for us.

Clearly, it is early days for Betfred with the Tote and they will be feeling their way for some time, one imagines.

For many, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating regarding Betfred’s involvement with the Tote so

I’m delighted to let you know that Betfred have agreed to reappear on TRF’s Q&A section in six months time when I’m sure things will have started to take shape at the Tote. Great news that we’ll all have a chance to comment/ask further questions at that time.

Cormack15

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1984

My beef with the direction the British tote has gone in is that the rollover tail is wagging the dog.

With most of your exotics on most days, the pools simply aren’t large enough to give a suitable reward.

Let’s look at yesterday’s results, as they’re the ones I have handy.

The tote trifecta is billed as returning 74p in the pound. Yesterday’s punters actually got returned 50p in the pound, which is probably above average for a weekday.

The super7 is billed as returning 70p in the pound. Yesterday’s punters got back 35p in the pound.

The jackpot is similarly billed. Yesterday’s punters got back nothing.

It seems to me that the only exotics that aren’t completely broken are the placepot and, to a lesser extent, the quadpot. This is because they actually pay what they say on the tin. The rest of the exotics on most days are just there to suck in the greenhorns to divvy up a rollover for someone else to chew on. Is it any wonder that the placepot turns over far more than it’s clip joint cousins (scoop6, jackpot, super7) despite the fact that place betting is generally considered the poor relation in this country?

I love the tote exotics but my current action is pretty much limited to the placepots and one trifecta race each week! I’m a trifectologist that finds himself out of work! I can work with heftyish deductions, but I can’t work with pools with 20,000 possible winning combos that can pay out no more than 300-1.

All this looking around for the hardest races and hardest cards for your exotics is surely self-defeating. You get extra business when there’s a big rollover, but this is surely dwarfed by what could be achieved by providing viable non-rollover pools on a daily basis (as the placepot’s success in comparison to the jackpot and super7 shows).

Cav
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4767

Bit surprising that such an important source of income to Racing was sold to Betfred on such vagaries as "bursting with ideas", "really excites us", "too early to give an exact answer", "throw some ideas around".

Not one, simple, concrete answer to any Tote question asked here, and a plug for top fixed odds into the bargain.

Thanks for taking the time. Racing is in good hands.

Silvoir
    Participant
    • Total Posts 270

Bit surprising that such an important source of income to Racing was sold to Betfred on such vagaries as "bursting with ideas", "really excites us", "too early to give an exact answer", "throw some ideas around".

Not one, simple, concrete answer to any Tote question asked here, and a plug for top fixed odds into the bargain.

Thanks for taking the time. Racing is in good hands.

The key for me, speaking from a strictly personal perspective, was this:

RedRum77
    Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 pm
    by RedRum77 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Since your taking over the tote. If I bet with the tote in future, will some of the levy be put back into racing to help
    it?

All Betfred shops contribute to the levy and this will continue. We want racing to thrive in this country. Racing is the core product in the Betfred shops and this will always remain the case

Hmm. Any guarantees of payment beyond year one?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1984

So says the man who backed the bid eminating from a set of Jersey brass plates. :lol: :lol:

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1984

The 50p minimum jackpot stake. I can contain myself no more.

Why?

We’re told that the tote upped the minimum to ensure bigger rollovers. Let’s leave aside for now the arguments regarding the rollover tail wagging the dog (above) and the general though shalt not win contempt this shows. My question is: How does that work?

Take Steve Whiteley. He had the sole pound running onto the last leg at Exeter. There’s 2 miilion in the pool. He can place that pound on one selection, as he did on a 12/1 shot, or place it on ten selections for 10p stakes

If he places it on one selection there is a 1/13 chance of him copping and 12/13 chance of the full pool rolling over.

Expected rollover = 1.84 million.

If he goes down the 10*10p route. there is a 10/13 chance of 90% of the pool rolling over and a 3/13 chance of the whole 2 million rolling over.

Expected rollover = 1.84 million

How does giving punters choice decrease the build-up of rollovers? They may chip away at the pool more but this is counterbalanced by them wiping it out in one go less often.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.