The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bet 365 Gold Cup 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Bet 365 Gold Cup 2012

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9338

This is the last big jumping race of the season, which means I will get put into cold storage for about 7 months till the whole carnival starts again. I love the jumps, I just can’t get enthusiastic about the flat :(

If the heavens opened I would be keen on Le Beau Bai, but as I think the ground is not too bad, I think that Major Malarkey has a major shout here.

He ran a cracking race last time out in the Midlands national, just beaten on the run in by Master Overseer. He ran off 128 and has been upped to 133 for that run, but he was at that rating before the stinker he ran in the National trial at Haydock. That’s the only worry, he can be a bit of a monkey. He hit the first fence in that race and clearly wasn’t that interested. By the 4th fence he was downing tools, and 2 later he was pulled up.

There obviously is a worry, but he ran very well last time out and hopefully Nigel Twiston-Davies has sorted him out. If his racing head is on today i think he has a great chance.

I grabbed the 11s on offer with VC this morning, that’s gone but you can still get 10s at Ladbrokes.

Best of luck…and farewell to the jumps :(

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9338

Can’t get a clear picture on this…can anyone down Sandown way let me know what the weather is like at the moment, and what the ground is likely to be?

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Aldertune and Deep Purple excite me in this. Tidal Bay is my e/w saver.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 648

I’ll be trying to get excited about the flat, but jumps is what it’s all about, IMHO.

But, anyway – Galaxy Rock, Deep Purple, Viking Blond, all small stakes, each way.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

Despite being corrected by a much better judge than myself (name censored) when I suggested Tidal Bay looked a happier horse this season than he has been for sometime, I am sticking to my guns.

Tidal Bay

8)

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 376

Le Beau Bai for me in this ground 8) Shame as I had him for the national.

Really liked the C4 review of the jumps season – sad its almost over :(

I’ll go back into hibernation for the summer – cant wait for next season to start now – a few really exciting novices 8)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8189

Great stuff, Hurdygurdyman. But, will he win the Grand National next year d’y’think now PN has got the hang of it?

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9338

Top notch pick Hurdygurdyman, that’s a nice way to finish off the jumps season. The result wasn’t in much doubt from several fences out he was traveling so well. I wonder what they will do with his handicap mark now after destroying the field the way he did.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

Cheers guys,

He’s not really about handicapping he’s all about attitude.

Change of scenery has probably sparked his interest.

He could run up a string of wins next season or he could go right back to his old ways.

Grand National? I doubt it. Stranger things have happened…………but right now I can’t think of one :mrgreen:

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9338

I agree with you Hurdygurdyman, it’s not about the handicap mark with him,it is about attitude and in what frame of mind he turns up in. I only mentioned handicapping as I am interested in how the handicapper reacts after a horse wins something, looking like he would have won it pulling a cart. He was 166 in his hay day, and he has been dropping down the handicap, running off 154 in the Bet 365 Gold cup (a figure he hasn’t ran off for 5 years). Maybe that makes me a handicapping anorak……honest, I do get out now and again :shock:

I reckon he will probably be aimed at the Betfred chase at haydock in November, the Argento at Cheltenham in January and then something at the festival. I doubt the Gold Cup again, he was a well beaten 6th by the usual suspects 2years ago, so I doubt at 12 he will have another go. Maybe something in between them, perhaps a big handicap as carrying weight won’t bother him.

There’s obviously life in the old boy yet, it would be nice to see him go out with one last big hurrah. I hope you (and maybe even me) are on him again if he does.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I remember reading an article a couple of months back in the RP (could have been the weekender) about a growing trend of once classy horses coming down in the weights and taking staying handicap chases off big weights.

Following Neptune Collenges and Tidal Bay it definitely looks like the article has some merit and I may even try following it blindly next season.

Lee

GDC
    • Total Posts 942

Great win BUT how good could this horse have been with a proper trainer when in his prime? :D

Pleased for Daryl Jacob too, Noel Fehily must be ruing his luck yet again!!

Admiralofthefleet
    • Total Posts 447

Shocked the old Rogue won so easy, rather like I was when Somersby finally got up in the Victor Chandler. Now the latter has reverted to type as a reliable each-way horse.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.