The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best performances ever by a filly or racemare in Europe?

Home Forums Horse Racing Best performances ever by a filly or racemare in Europe?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

Here I am ranking in order of merit the best performances ever by a filly or racemare in Europe.

1.Treve winning the 2014 Prix de l’Arc De Triomphe

Difficult to visualize better acceleration in the manner she stormed on the outside like a motorboat doubling it’s speed.Made rivals look like leaves tossed in a gale.

2.Noblesse winning 1963 Oaks

Mercilessly crushed her rivals in the manner of an invincible emperess.Pulled away 10 lengths clear.

2.Dahlia winning 1973 King George

Conquered the great Rheingold who went on to win that year’s Arc by a margin of 6 lengths.

3.Sun Princess winning 1983 Oaks

Never seen a filly toy with an Oak’s field with such remorseless ease.112 lengths to spare at the finish.

4.Zarkava winning 2008 Arc

Reminiscent of a spectacular surgical strike by an army sliced through a gap that earlier looked impregnable .Won with consummate ease.

5.Enable winning 2017 Irish Oaks

Pulled away to win by 5 and a quarter lengths with reserves of energy still left at the end.

6.Enable winning 2017 Arc

Spectacular acceleration to win ,even if margin was not very big.

7.Petit Etoile winning 1960 Coronation Cup

Rarely has an Epsom Derby winner of year been beaten with such disdain.Spared 3 lengths over Derby winner Parthia at the post.

7.Allez France winning 1974 Arc

Won by only a neck from Comtesse Loire but amongst the very best of fields.

8.Three Troikas winning 1979 Arc

Blazed down the straight to defeat Troy,one of the best middle-distance racehorses of recent times.Spared 3 lengths at the winning post.

9.Oh So Sharp winning 1985 St.Leger

Won the fillies triple crown being the first to do so since Meld.A small margin but courage and relentlessness at its zenith.No filly has won a triple crown since and only 2 have won the Leger.

10.Park Top winning 1969 King George

Conquered a strong King George field showing relentless spirit.

11.Petite Etoile winning 1959 Oaks

Pulled away in the style of a true champion to win by 3engths.

12.Balanchine winning the 1994 Irish Derby

Beat her opponents into submission like few ever did in the history of the race.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1391

As with all these lists, it’s all subjective but you have definitely got the wrong performance from Oh So Sharp. Her contemptuous dismissal of the mighty Triptych- barely coming off the bridle to slam that star mare by six lengths- in the 1985 Oaks remains to this day the best mile and a half performance I have seen from a filly or mare, with the possible exception of Zarkava’s scarcely credible burst to win the Arc.

But the Oaks was unquestionably Oh So Sharp’s best performance.

isinglass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 376

Re Oh So Sharp,
    User Friendly and Simple Verse are fillies that have won the Leger since 1985.

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@Gladiateur Great point which I appreciate.Otherwise liked my selections and order?

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@isinglass Thanks a lot for information .Will correct.Liked my selections?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.