The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Jump races of all time in order of merit?

Home Forums Horse Racing Best Jump races of all time in order of merit?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

In this list I am ranking in order of merit the best races ever in Jump racing including Steeplechasing and Hurdle racing.My criteria is not merit of performance but the sheer thrill the race gave fans and intensity of finish.

1.1973 Grand National-Sport’s ultimate epic with Crisp setting a breathtaking pace carrying topweight and Red Rum setting in hot pursuit to catch him in the last strides.Crisp took superlative performance or supremacy in jumping to shades of divinity in the manner of an emperor leading a procession.The course record was broken by both Red Rum and Crisp.Crisp was the moral winner but Red Rum took relentlessness and courage to its zenith.

2.1966 Hennesy Gold Cup

Stanbridge Colonist shattered the myth of invincibility around the Superhorse Arkle exhibiting gallantry of a military commander.Arkle conceded 35lb which was a decisive factor.A duel with intensity of a boxing bout.One of race riding’s greatest exhibitions of artistry by Stan Mellor.A Arkle victory looked a foregone conclusion before the last,after which Stalbridge Colonist rose like a phoenix from the Ashes.

3.1964 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Rarely has-sport encountered such a spectacle of a clash of the titans.Arguably the most defining race in Steeplechasing history where Arkle exhibited for the first time that he was endowed with mythical prowess or ability of metaphysical proportions.Till the bend Mill House led and spectators inspite of anticipating a seesaw battle felt Mill House was all set to to the bets chaser since Golden Miller.Little before the last fence it looked as though a new race had started with Arkle accelerating like a motorboat and Mill House being trounced for the first time .

4.1984 Whitbread Gold Cup

Suspense of the most intriguing of Alfred Hitchkock novels with three stars bunched together at the wining post,within a whisker of each other.Special Cargo clinched the issue in the last stride from Lettoch and Diamond Edge.The class Diamond Edge hit the front fifty metres out propelling himself in characteristic style but was unable to stave of the challenge of his rivals.At the finish Special Cargo unleashed his untapped reserves of energy to deliver a final knockout punch.3 furlongs out the horse was literally in the depths of despair.Few chasers have ever ressurected themselves in a plum race like Special Cargo that day.

5.1977 Templegate Hurdle at Aintree

Intensity in combat at a height unequalled ending in a dead heat.It was the courgae of Monksfield pitted against the class of Night Nurse.A tussle that will win a permanent place in the history of sport.Monksfield had the marginal edge for most of the duel but in the final strides Night Nurse
    clawed himself back.

6.1973 Cheltenham Gold cup

When Pendil hit the front the result looked a foregone conclusion.However the Dikler untapped all reserves of energy to launch a sparkling burst in the nail 100 yards.Reminiscent of a twist an turn in the climax of an epic.Richard Pitman mantains that Pendil would have won if he had not let it hit the front so soon ,and reserved his energy resources for a burst up the hill.Sadly he followed trainer Fred Winter’s instructions.The Dikler gave a sensation of a character being jumped in at the fag end of a novel.

7.1986 Cheltenham Gold Cup
    Wayward Lad was arguably the unluckiest horse ever not to win a gold cup and the title seemed his before Dawn Run launched a spectacular run to pip him at the post.Relentless courage won the day over class.Jonjo Neil at his very best.Wayward Lad simply became complacent nad ran out of petrol to falter at the end.What was remarkable was that Dawn Run spectacularly ressurected herself from the depths of despair after a bad mistake at the water ,and a worse one at the top of the hill.

8.2008 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Denman conquered Kauto Star ressurecting memories of the great Arkle being defeated.Classical revelation of strength and power to pull away to win by 7 lengths.

9.1934 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Combination of class with courage and stamina at its supreme height.Golden Miller overcame the challenging ground to overtake Thommond11.

10.1979 Champion Hurdle

Confrontation at it’s absolute intensity between Monksfield and Sea Pigeon.After Sea Pigeon thrust his neck in front Monskfield superbly ressurected himself in the closing stages to prevail by three quarters of a length.Jumping’s ultimate ding dog battle for supremacy with courage and stamina winning the day for Monksfield.Monskfield clawing himself back was one of jumping’s ultimate spectacles.

11.1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Yahoo gave the legendary chaser Desert Orchid the race of his life.Till the last Yahoo looked more likely to win before Desert Orchid spectacularly garnered all his energy resources to surge ahead.Dessie exhibited superlative courage over sheer class that day,which won him the gold cup.

12.2004 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Best Mate became the first horse to emulate Arkle and win a hatrick of consecutive Gold Cups.He overcame a sustained challenge from Rembrandt in the closing stages from Sir Rembrandt.Inspite of being hampered by Harbour plot at the bend BestMate resurrected himself like only a truly great horse could do.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 986

2005 Champion hurdle , Top quality field and the first 2 couldn’t have been 2 more different horses , has there every been a more apt name given to a horse ….Hardy as anything that ever jumped a hurdle

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3809

Recency bias and a sad ending but mine is watching that Cotswold live, when we didn’t know it was going to kill Many Clouds and basically ruin Thistlecrack as a galactico. Can’t watch it back without thinking about that but at the time, it was the most exciting race finish I had ever seen.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 986

That was akin to the 1st round of hearns/haggler ….just throwing non stop haymakers …I still haven’t forgiven myself for not backing many clouds when he won the GN

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1784

I think that Neptune Collonges & Sunnyhillboy finish in the 2012 Grand National must qualify you’re never get a more exciting finish.

Also Rummy’s battle against Red Candle in the 73 Hennessy (a little before my time but seen it on video.)

Not forgetting Aldaniti in the 81 National.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1390

A couple of incorrect years there, harsh. Special Cargo won the Whitbread in 1984 and Dawn Run’s Gold Cup victory came in 1986. :good:

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@Gladiateur Thanks for notifying.I have made required date changes for Dawn Run Gold Cup and Special Cargo’s Whitbread .Apologize for errors .

Did you like my selections and order of merit?

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3809

I do like your selections but am too young to remember any of them live except Yahoo/Dessie.

I would like to submit Azertyuiop and Well Chief in pursuit of Moscow Flyer over the last in the Tingle Creek.

huddiepuddies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 47

Even though Wayward Lad, my favourite chaser, got beat ,the 1986 Gold Cup was pretty special.A champion beaten by another champion who, surely, would have gone on to be one of the greatest.

Now and then I still watch the finish on you tube and still think he is going to break his Cheltenham hoodoo.”The mare’s beginning to get up”

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1178

I was there that day Huddlepuddles; unforgettable, gladiatorial atmosphere.

patriot1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 534

2000 Champion Chase

On my first ever visit to Cheltenham I was lucky enough to witness the epic battle between Direct Route and Edredon Bleu. I still remember the shiver down my spine as the crowd roared the two combatants up the hill. The best race I have had the pleasure of seeing in the flesh.

2015 Gold Cup

My favourite racehorses are those who go from the front at a good pace, jump for fun and refuse point blank to be passed. With honourable mentions to Frodon and Sirah Du Lac I have to say that watching Coneygree gallop and jump the opposition into submission is still one of the biggest thrills I have had watching this sport. So much so that I leapt off my couch and punched the air as he passed the post.

So I’ll take those two races against the field.

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 133

If we’re interpreting ‘best’ as ‘most exciting/memorable’ –

Gold Cup 2018, the Native River/Might Bite duel
    Grand National 1982, Grittar being the last horse standing in a race run at an insane pace on fast ground. Amberleigh House’s win a pretty close second.
    King George 1987, Nupsala coming from nowhere to win as Desert Orchid and Beau Ranger fade away.
    Handicap chase Dublin Flyer giving an exhibition in how to front-run at Aintree, John Hughes Trophy (=Topham), 1995.
    Handicap hurdle Make A Stand doing likewise at Newbury in the 1997 Tote Gold Trophy, before his Champion Hurdle win.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

1990: Cleeve Hill Handicap Chase 2m 4f
    Led,
    Clear 6th,
    Reluctant to race and headed 8th,
    Soon well behind, (if I remember, it was a long way behind)
    Headway from 14th,
    Ran on near finish.
    Went down by a length and a half to Paddyboro.
    An entertaining race to watch.
    Private Views, trained by Nick Gaselee. A promising novice, but became very a enigmatic and unreliable sort.

1995: Mumm Mildmay 2m 4f Chase
    The good old days of racing. Viking Flagship, Deep Sensation, Martha’s Son and Southholt taking the last together, with no margin for error. Viking Flagship ran his customary ‘give it all’ race, but the amazing thing about this race was….Deep Sensation nearly won!!!!

2004 Supreme Novices’ Hurdle
    This is what Cheltenham is all about. Two horses battling up the hill, calling on every last reserve of energy to get their head in front. Awesome stuff!!
    Brave Inca and War Of Attrition.

2005: Emo Oil Champion Hurdle 2m
    Turning for home with Brave Inca leading and McCoy rowing away, Harchibald with Carberry sat motionless, just cruising along, poised to deliver.
    Brave Inca would never give in and Harchibald, as talented as he was, could only press him to the line but not get by. Often travelled like an absolute Rolls Royce, but not one to produce the goods if effort was required. If Harchibald had had the guts and determination of the winner, who knows how good he may have been.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.