The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Amateur

Home Forums Horse Racing Best Amateur

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Who is the best amateur jockey?

A question I ask having done my money on Gungadu (best horse in the race) and although this sounds like total sour grapes Nicholls has booked Coleman Sweeny for his previous festival runners, a far superior jockey to Jamie Snowden IMHO – why not this year?

Anyway I’d rate the following as the best amateurs.

Nina Carberry<br>Coleman Sweeny<br>Derek O’Connor<br>John Thomas McNamara

Thoughts?

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

I’m going to say Patrick Millington and then run away before Happy Jack attacks me with a hammer. :biggrin:

Nah, Martin, I think you’ve got the most of the best ones there. Had Sam Jones not turned pro earlier in the winter, I’d have suggested him also.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Richard Burton – champion point to point rider over here and good chap to boot.

He proved yesterday that he can match up with the Irish.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

What should Snowden have done that would have changed the result?

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Kevin Power’s as good as there is although he struggles with his weight.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

J T McNamara, in my opinion.

A few years ago, The Weekender started to publish PTP results, including those from Ireland. Out of idle curiosity, I started to glance through the results from the Irish racing. One name, in particular, kept catching my eye – JT McNamara.

I haven’t got the figures to hand, but his record in those Irish PTPs must be unsurpassed in recent times. He frequently rides three or four winners at each meeting and is rarely out of the frame. We have also seen his horsemanship at Cheltenham over the last few years.

Another name from Ireland that stood out is D O’Connor, who also seemed to have multiple winners whenever I looked at the results.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

See first post Artemis for mention of D O’Connor ;)

As for Snowden, not alot really as Gungadu would have fallen whoever had ridden him i’d just be more confident of success had he had a better jockey on top, clearly didn’t see out the 4 miles and would have been beaten anyway mind.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Why do you suggest that Gungadu was the best horse in the race then if he was beaten on merit. Best horse in the race was Character Building who would have been an impressive winner if he hadn’t hung so badly right. Hope his temperament doesn’t hold him back as he’s shown he’s not straightforward before.

PaulB
    • Total Posts 75

J T McNamarra for me!!!

mightyfine
    • Total Posts 22

Been a reader for ages but this is my first post.

Been a former amateur myself, how depressing that you only seem to mention irish riders. As 99% of bumpers in ireland this distorts the statistics about the number of winners those mentioned ride under rules. the stats on the racing post show this.

For what its worth Burty and Tom Greenall get my vote.

Ps how much hunting had some of those hunters done (human and equine)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

He was clearly the best horse in the race DJ.  He had the highest rating, is a Graded Chase winner and had the form in the book, he didn’t stay – simple as.

If Kauto Star ran in this years National and was beaten by Bewleys Berry I wouldn’t suggest BB was the better horse, he’d just jumped better.

I’d nominate some British jockeys if I thought any where good enough, having said that you do mention one of the better one’s in Tom Greenall (he gave Glennely Gale a cracking ride in the National a couple of years back) but we have the likes of John Maxse et al riding and tbh they don’t know which end of the horse to put the bridle on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.