The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

BDO DARTS

Home Forums General Sports BDO DARTS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Hi all, any thoughts on this.

I myself will be having a Win bet on Martin Adams and a small E/W being that you have to get to the Final on Tony O’Shea.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I had my first ever bet on the darts at this event last year and won but only because I followed the advice of the RP. I am going to do the same this year and bet on their selection who is Mark Webster at 8/1. Good luck to anybody else having a go.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I think Gary Anderson is the best bet of the year (I know we are only in the first week :lol: )

2/1 isn’t much of a price but I think he could be different gravy to these guys. He has a lot more experience than people give him credit for and he can handle the pressure in finals. Last year he won the Scottish Open and the Irish Open amongst others.

I personally believe the difference in class between Anderson and the rest is similar to that of Taylor and the rest some 5 years ago – and Taylor used to start tournaments at 1/3 back then.

Good luck all.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

There’s my bet of the year out :oops:

Where do the Ductch get these young players from? I’m going to have to work hard to recoup these losses :oops:

Mike

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Hi Mike, sorry to here of your demise sounds quite painful :cry:, it happens as they say.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

I’m on Webster EW at 25/1 & 12/1, with a cover on Anderson & small amounts on Stompe (65), Waites (25) & Whitlock (20)

Webster looked top draw yesterday & with improvement on his doubles would have easily been 100+ av. His 2nd rnd against Moody will be entertaining but should breeze though, probably to meet Fitton in the Semi which will be tougher

Adams played Ok today to get through his tricky first round match and others to impress so far have been Thornton (massive at 4/7 to beat O’Shea 2nd rd) and Waites

I’m there tomorrow night and will be having a Treble, Thornton as above with Stompe & Hankey

Happy Punting

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Webster, Thornton and Waites have been the 3 players that have impressed me the most but Webster did look a little edgy in his first match.
    The guy in the RP that covers the darts seems to know what he is doing and has come up with some solid bets so far.
    Pity that some boring idiots ruined the coverage of Hankey’s game last night and I thought for a moment that Hankey was going to thump one of them.

I’m no darts fan and don’t know much about it really but I think the atmosphere at the Lakeside comes across as being very good and I can sense the tension etc in some of the games. The atmosphere does seem excellent which is more than can be said for the games at Old Trafford :)

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

The assorted BBC2 and Five Live presenters are not exaggerating when they dub Lakeside one of (any) sport’s great venues. Where else nowadays can you get such a close-up view of the greats, much less see them enjoying a drink on the table next to you in between games?

You won’t catch me using this paper as a source too often on TRF, but below is an interview reproduced from Saturday’s Sun, in which Martin Adams, among other things, lays down an argument that it is darts players, rather than footballers, that are sport’s true working-class heroes nowadays.

I understand that some of the Chelsea showponies are intent on coming down to Lakeside later in the week. God help them if they try to throw their weight around and demand the best seats in the house, etc etc. At best, it would rate a PR disaster on their part. At worst, Ted Hankey’s mum could knock several of them out cold at once with her bingo wings…

gc

MARTIN ADAMS reckons darts is the new football.
    Andrew Dillon, January 5th 2008.

The reigning BDO world champion believes the sport has taken football’s place in the hearts of the punters.

Martin Adams said: “Over the years footballers were held up as working class heroes.

“But I don’t think that’s the case anymore — even reserve-team players live in bloody great mansions.â€

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

graysonscolumn >>>
    "Saturday’s Sun newspaper, in which Martin Adams, among other things, lays down an argument that it is darts players, rather than footballers, that are sport’s true working-class heroes nowadays."

I can see exactly where Martin Adams is coming from regarding the modern day professional footballers – and to a large extent the modern day football fan.

That said, and even allowing for the fact that darts has a massive working class following, I cannot view the current so called stars of this so called "sport" on BBC2 without laughing aloud and thinking how pathetic and ridiculous some of them look. Martin Adams is the "wolfman" apparently. BBC even took him along to visit and mingle with some Wolves in captivity. Hmmm? He wears glasses and sports a beard… and is overweight. Very wolf-like.

And then there’s Ted "The Count" Hankey, who takes to the stage (er, oche) wearing a cheap looking joke shop Dracula cape as the lights dim and appropriately "dark" and atmospheric music blasts throughout the arena. Not only does he looks totally ill at ease, he looks an absolute plonker.

He’s an overweight, average darts player for heaven’s sake.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

…and in as much as Martin and Ted look and behave the way they do, they are no more or less showmen than the equally grounded, predominately working-class British wrestlers that shot to public prominence in the 1970s and 1980s.

Wolfie’s interest in wolves, incidentally, extends beyond photo opportunities with Auntie Beeb – I believe he is involved to some greater or lesser extent with sanctuaries for the animals in the UK.

As regards darts itself, opinion will never not be divided as to whether it counts as a sport or not, but for as long as it continues to present the same sort of test of skill as the likes of archery (albeit indoors and with less equipment in the hand), I remain firmly in the camp that says it is.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I didn’t see all of his game because I was watching the soccer but Webster didn’t look convincing tonight and his body language was not too good. In the next round he plays Fitton who was impressive in his win earlier on.

By the way I have noticed that most of the sweaty, overweight, uncharismatic dart players with beer guts have gorgeous, slim, nice looking partners. Maybe I should start playing darts :)

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Webster played great first 2 sets (3-0, 3-0, 2 x 180’s) but then got dragged down to Moody’s level I thought

You’re right about Fitton being much tougher in the next round as he’s in great form with the best average of the week so far tonight. But, he’s always been a bit temperamental on the doubles when under pressure, so lets hope Webster can provide the pressure!

It was great night yesterday & Hankey was really not happy, quite rightly, with the booing and I thought he was going to jump into the crowd a one point! Lakeside’s an old fashioned club and has a dozen old fashioned bouncers with crew cuts & DJ’s who sorted out the boo boys quickly enough

One improvement this year is the Coral betting booth now has full 12 screen SIS pictures so you could bet on the racing from Kempton, Yarmouth dogs as well as the darts – all with a pint in hand – heaven!

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

….others to impress so far have been Thornton (massive at 4/7 to beat O’Shea 2nd rd) and Waites

I’m there tomorrow night and will be having a Treble, Thornton as above with Stompe & Hankey

Happy Punting

Forgot to add, the treble was landed but Hankey made me sweat!

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

A big day for Webster backers

I’m hopeful rather than confident

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I’m also more hopeful than confident and I see that Webster has drifted out to 6’s after going as low as 3’s on the BF outright winner market and Fitton is fav to beat him in their match.

I am going out tonight so I will not see it which may be a good thing as I have tried betting in running on the darts this week and I am useless…..won’t be doing it again.
    Good luck

Pete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.