The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bank Holiday Entertainment

Home Forums Lounge Bank Holiday Entertainment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Went to Warwick Castle with three generations of family on Sunday. £15.95 per adult and £10 for children. Shooting crossbows and longbows were an extra £3.50. £1.30 for a Strawberry cornetto.

Brought a Taiwanese suit of armour for four children at a tenner a piece, including the helmet.

The new "Alive" exhibition focusing on Castle ghosts frightened the hell out of the kids for an extra £3 – and there were no refunds for those too frightened to go up the stairs!  Saw a working Trebuchet and the actor playing the Warwick Bowman went about his oratory with great gusto to packed audiences. The kids learned loads about the War of the Roses too.

I really enjoyed the day out to be honest. It’s a nice place – nowhere near as foreboding as those Edward I Border castles. But I have a nagging feeling that I was just another hapless customer in Rip Off Britain 2007. The feeling won’t go away.

Help me get some perspective. What are the holiday attractions like round your way? And was I ripped off, in your opinion?

Cheers all. Bored stiff with horse racing at the minute, hence the off topic.<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Me also very bored with the racing .. I think you were ripped off by the way, I’m very much into walks and taking sandwiches and flasks of tea everywhere .. !!

I don’t think there are any attractions as such in the West of Scotland, I suppose you could drive up to New Cumnock or somewhere and watch the kids ride around a collapsed drunk on their bikes for a bit, but that’s free of charge.

As far as what I am up to .. well the Missus has been quite ill since Christmas and she finally went into hospital today to have her gall bladder out. So this is my first day off. Its roasting hot here and I have been sitting in the back garden all afternoon. I was going to watch the racing on ATR but it was absolutely rubbish, 11/4 outsiders turning over 9/4 favourites and all that jazz. I just couldn’t be ar$ed with it.

We’ll be up at the hospital tonight. She has had keyhole surgery so she should be home tomorrow with a bit of luck. According to the hospital she’s doing fine, so I’m happy.

.. anyway, there’s washing to do, kids to boss around and dinners that need cooking .. <br>:cool: :biggrin:

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Yep Maxilon, you were ripped off, but it’s the same most other places. (And racegoers in UK have always been ripped off with regards to entrance costs and facilities). But what can you do? It’s a sunny Bank Holiday and you’ve got kids and the rest of the tribe to entertain?<br>Very little value for money to be had in Britain nowadays in the entertainment/leisure side of things. For my part, £40+  a month for Sky with all the trimmings is great value and you don’t have to worry about the weather, traffic jams etc. Learn about history on the excellent history channels (oddly enough), science on the science channels and more films and sport than you could shake a stick at. Murdoch ? What a saint.

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

Dave,<br>I’m really sorry to hear of your wife’s problems, I wish her well and hope you get yourselves back to normal pronto.  

Maxilon,<br>yes you were ripped off but if everyone enjoyed the day then money well spent I always think.  You just won’t be going there again will you ?:biggrin:

I went walking along the South Downs where the air is clear and there is currently no charge, if you know where to park:)

Factorman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 390

Maxilon- I was with my children in a small flat and no money, we wrapped some old newspaper into a ball and put tape around it, BALL! (and by the way they are not toddlers) when we have no money we make our own fun, doesn’t work all the time though!

Dave, God willing, your wife shall be restored to her former self.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Dave, best of luck to the wife. And best of luck to you with the bairns.:cool:

LL, Insomniac, thanks for confirming I was ripped off. I feel much better. I keep thinking that that Castle must have been paid for already, with tithes and window taxes and that, but I suppose I should be grateful for a good day.

And Factorman – thanks for the tip.:biggrin:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Missus home now .. looking much better .. early days yet, but she should be on the mend, thanks for all of the kind words.

Dave

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Having her gall bladder out has made her look much better :o …I must try that ;)

Seriously,dave,best wishes to you and yours.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.