The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Baffling Handicapping

Home Forums Horse Racing Baffling Handicapping

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Mind you, maybe running a horse over a mile too short and the wrong obstacles could be the new thing to get its mark down handy. Look out for Bristol de Mai and Al Boum Photo in next year’s champion hurdle.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Maybe Sir Mark Prezza is the O’Dearys new race planning advisor!

BUY THE SUN

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

They have had 2 years to get tiger rolls mark down. He has ran 6 times since last winning the national.

Twice over hurdles
    Three times Cross Country
    Once on the flat

The handicapper cannot drop a 4 mile chaser for performing poorly in a 2.5 mile hurdle or a 1.75 mile flat race.

If their aim was to get tiger roll a lower mark for a 3rd national then they havek failed miserably in their choices of races for him.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Monmiral rated 147 – Ridiculous.

Might well win today but a mark of 147 after 3 runs in rubbish juvenile hurdles is bonkers.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Agree with all the above

The sooner the Olearys are out off the game the better. They have no real love for racing and even less understanding. Ugly constant moaners and who can forget their treatment of Hughes

I only wish we had heard the truth from the obvious falling out with Mullins rather than the laughable PR.Wonder if WM simply told him to **** off out of it because they never stopped moaning or was it really just about fees and Olearys tightfistedness

Either way just go

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Too right Clive. Absolute chancers who are terrible for the sport. It was telling after Elliots Big-Game sitting photo, everyone knew prior to any statements that Gigginstown would be fine with it and Chevely Park wouldn’t.

Hope Tiger Roll runs a cracker today to show the arseholes up.

BUY THE SUN

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

He didn’t of course but so sad that sometimes the most engaging horse are owned by the biggest twats

Good riddance to them

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I’d fine and ban the jockey and connections, and leave the mark untouched. A clear and transparent non-trier.

BUY THE SUN

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

You must have been looking at a different race.

Kennedy tried his best to make the running, wasn’t able to go the pace, Kennedy allowed him to go around at the pace he was able, and he stayed on well past tired horses who had fallen in a hole due to the pace.

I don’t think he wasnt trying, he was just in the wrong race.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

No I was watching the same race, but interpreted it in a different way to you.

BUY THE SUN

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

This week’s entry – Saint Sonnet trained by Paul Nicholls.

Made debut in france finishing 3rd in an unremarkable race, behind 2 horses who have no level of form at all. The winner was unplaced on his next start and hasn’t run again, the 2nd horse came second again a few weeks later and hasn’t run again. The 4th hasn’t run again.

Almost 2 years later makes UK debut in a 5 runner novice chase at Catterick, beating a 124 rated horse by nearly 4 lengths giving it 4 pounds, so equivalent of a 8 pound beating, and a 115 horse by nearly 6 lengths giving it 4 pounds. Equivalent of a 10 length beating.

After that UK debut he was given a mark of 145…145!

He then finished 7th comprehenvisely beaten in the Marsh that Samcro won, and was RAISED 2lbs to 147.

Since then he has ran 3 more times over fences, his form – Fell, Pulled Up, Pulled Up.

He was then entred to run in the Coral Cup at Cheltenham. This was his UK hurdles debut. His only previous run was 2 years prior in that 3yo debut hurdle in france, yet the handicapper gives him a mark of 146 for the Coral. How?

He finished way down the field, 15th

He is now running on Sunday in an Ayr handicap hurdle off a mark of 140

There are so many issues with this situation it’s hard to know where to begin.

Firstly, prior to the coral cup the horse had run once over hurdles, as a 3 year old…yet was allowed to run in a handicap. How was this allowed? Surely the handicapper needs evidence of form before giving handicap marks? Secondly, even if the handicapper was correct in allowing the horse to run in a handicap, what evidence of hurdles form was used to pluck a mark of 146 out of the sky?

Thirdly, after just 1 chase run the horse was given a mark of 145, and then raised for running in a grade one.

His form since is total rubbish. Yet is still rated in the 140’s.

He has only 2 pieces of measurable form. One over hurdles, and one over fences.

The piece of measurable form over fences is the Catterick win… would put him somewhere between 125 and 132.

The piece of measurable form over hurdles is the coral cup… would put him at 126.

Yet the handicapper had him at 146 on his last run over fences and off a mark 140 over hurdles on Sunday.

Why would anyone want to own and run a horse in the UK under this system of Handicapping?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

You seem to have overlooked the four races he won in France, one of which was a Listed hurdle at Auteuil.

His official French handicap mark when he was moved to Nicholls, was 68kgs, which translates to 150 here. So the 145 he was rated on arrival in the UK was assuming he’d been over-rated by the French officials.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Apologies, that has made me look a right idiot hasn’t it 🙈

I was looking at the Irishracing.com site, and never looked at the racing Post site.

Thanks for putting me right.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Just read that Espoir De Romay has been raised to an official mark of 160. For not winning a novice chase.

Makes sense. :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Considering how he ran yesterday, Saint Sonnet’s mark still looks high. Even first time cheekpieces made little difference.

I suppose he travelled through the race OK but found little when it mattered. Maybe the next time he runs there will be a w1 by his name.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I also see Minella times has been raised to 162. I know he won the grand national but 162? Really?

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Danilo D’airy won a handicap today at Warick from 38 pounds out of the handicap winning by 9 lengths back to the second and a further 22 lengths back to the third.

Does anyone know what is the highest a horse was ever raised for a win?

But the main reason I post this is to ask how on earth this horse was given a handicap mark at all. 3 runs over runs, beaten 93 lengths, pulled up and beaten 97 lengths, yet was given a mark of 35. Pure and utter guesswork from the handicappers and there is no way he should have been given a mark based on that evidence.

Runs today off 73, and beats a 74 rated horse back in 3rd by 31 lengths without being fully extended.

This performance could be measured quite fairly as a 105 performance. If the handicapper sees it the same way it would mean a possible 70 pound rise in the handicap for this performance. Will it happen?

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.