The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Back Among Friends

Home Forums Memorials Back Among Friends

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1982

‘There was a horrible incident before the start of the 2m3½f handicap chase at Chepstow on Saturday when the Jim Old-trained Back Among Friends broke loose in the parade ring before smashing through a gate.

The ten-year-old seemingly broke a shoulder but got back to his feet and careered off down the walkway to the stables, where he sadly ran into a stationary lorry and had to be put down.’

source: rponline

• Total Posts 12

I was on my way back up from the stable lads canteen when it happened, so unfortunately I saw the horse lying at the foot of the lorry.

It was horrific, blood splattered all up the side of the cream lorry, with the poor horse in shock on the floor. The pre parade was full of blood too.

Such a sad, horrible way to go. RIP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Does anyone know what caused him to get so upset in the parade ring in the first place? It sounds so horrific; so distressing for everyone and what a horrible ending to his life; poor thing. Jim Old is so fond of his horses as well. Condolences to everyone.

• Total Posts 12

I was talking to a jockey who was in the paddock at the time, and he thought the horse must have had a heart attack or something similar, he just completely lost it and bolted as soon as the jockey was legged up.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

It sounded like a seizure of some kind; poor thing must have been terrified. How sad that he was trying to get back to his ‘temporary’ home. However it’s a blessing that no one was hurt.

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

‘Robbie’ has always been a bit of a character and highly strung. Connections are not sure if anything particular set him off but it was, I am told, horrendous. (I was invited but couldn’t make it, for which now I am not sorry as would have hated to witness what happened) I know the owner through the yard and she is devastated. A bad week for Mr Old with Captain Aubrey being killed at Folkestone on Monday, and he has a foal at home he bred who four vets have told him to put down, but he is trying to save. Fingers crossed so far so good for that but a bad week, and he is also very upset.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Please pass on my condolences to connections and also Jim Old who always strikes me as a trainer who gets particularly close to his horses. I’ve only been to Chepstow once, and it surprised me to see the pre parade ring so close to the racetrack; I felt that the horses being led round seemed to sometimes get a bit buzzed up when the horses galloped past them; felt that it could send a highly strung horse over the top [hasten to add that know little about horses and it is just a personal observation].

• Total Posts 12

I’ve only been to Chepstow once, and it surprised me to see the pre parade ring so close to the racetrack; I felt that the horses being led round seemed to sometimes get a bit buzzed up when the horses galloped past them; felt that it could send a highly strung horse over the top [hasten to add that know little about horses and it is just a personal observation].

I have to agree, it’s the same at Exeter too. Trying to hang onto an already wound up and excitable racehorse while a field come galloping past is not fun! :lol:

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

Thank you Moehat – will do. Mr Old said Robbie was dead when they got to him from blood loss most likely. A very sad week at the yard.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Fingers crossed for the little foal; please let me know if he/she makes it. mo

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

Sorry to report the foal didn’t make it.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Thanks for letting me know; what a sad couple of weeks. Commiserations.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.