The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ATR V Racing UK – 10 Years of Rivalry

Home Forums Horse Racing ATR V Racing UK – 10 Years of Rivalry

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Quality …this could be the post of the year so far ….Gamble if you read this , get your bum back in this cyber outpost and top that !!!

Well done Sir ,,,the thoughts of Ginger and Kingy cuddling up just sends shivers down thousands of spines !!!

:P

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

,,the thoughts of Ginger and Kingy cuddling up just sends shivers down thousands of spines !!!

Hi Rickyboyboy

The thought of you and I canoodling has slipped the discs and herniated the soft underbelly of millions :)

BTW, why Ripon and Leicester of the ATR inventory?

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

When the original ATR was on the go i used to get hugely frustrated on saturdays during the winter when you would have four good quality jump meetings and the donkey racing at Southwell. They didn’t have time to show all five meetings so needless to say they would drop one of the jumps meetings and show the dross on the sand.

I’ll say it again. There is too much racing for one channel.

As for the point about the subscriptions RUK have stated that their courses shared £65million last year from the sale of worldwide media rights so there would be enough in the pot for all UK courses. However i hope it doesn’t come to that as i think the current set up is fine.

RUK does have it’s flaws(as do ATR) but we need two channels.

Well, sort of. At the moment the 33 RUK courses are getting £1,969,696.90 each (assuming no tax, etc), but if the remaining UK courses (not including Irish so 61 in total) jumped on the bandwagon the figure goes down to £1,065,573.70 each so nearly a million lost by expansion. That’s assuming no increase in subs of course, but also not assuming things like a second RUK channel to cope. I’m sure the smaller courses would be delighted to have such an increase in their income, but I’m not so sure the big courses would appreciate the drop in their revenues.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Drone

As part of another thread in the lounge I think !!! I had 3 towns to visit this year , Ripon was one of them , I have been, including a day at the races , was entirely charmed ,,enjoyed the race course immensely so much so I am planning another trip ….

as for Leicester …my forays down sarf..have halted due to traffic mostly …but my trips to Oadby continue..I simply love the place :mrgreen:

Leicester is one of the few places left where you can have a day out , a bet , some lunch , or tea and a old fashioned lump of cake..go home feeling you have had a small holiday …cant be bad

Hence the inclusion in my viewing stables

For all others please keep these courses a secret ,,,we dont want Kingy and Ginger polluting the place ……for sure

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

I’m sure the smaller courses would be delighted to have such an increase in their income, but I’m not so sure the big courses would appreciate the drop in their revenues.

I imagine in that scenario, the bigger courses would demand greater recompense just as the bigger party does in every other televised sport on the planet.

Unless there’s a tiered pot, the bigger courses will inevitably break away and form their own channel. This will lead to RUK (no longer able to justify subscriptions) resorting to going free to air, subsidised by terrible loan/compo adverts whilst being propped by the highly enjoyable Robert Cooper.

Like it or not Ricky, ATR is here to stay in one guise or another.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

As part of another thread in the lounge I think !!! I had 3 towns to visit this year , Ripon was one of them , I have been, including a day at the races , was entirely charmed ,,enjoyed the race course immensely so much so I am planning another trip ….

as for Leicester …my forays down sarf..have halted due to traffic mostly …but my trips to Oadby continue..I simply love the place :mrgreen:

I thought it was Bath, Barnsley and Harlow you were planning to visit – Group 1, Class 7 and don’t know :)

Barnsley for Pontefract presumably, you’ll like it there, midweek

Ripon is indeed a delightful course to waste away an afternoon and while I’ve only been to Leicester twice, in midwinter, that too was okay and wonderfully quiet. Anyway all the racecourses I’ve visited are at least okay in my book, relish the variety

Leicester’s sole Listed race, the Leicestershire Stakes has been renamed the King Richard III Stakes in homage to him being found in a Leicester car park. Disgraceful I say, the race really should be run at York :)

Gamble need not fear me; he’s an original, I just

read books and repeat quotations

to quote Bob Dylan :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Leicester is indeed a good day although I’m not convinced about the hotel being in the middle of a giant roundabout was a great idea especially getting back to it after a few hours drinking Gold. A weekend combined there of Gold, Cricket and racing is a nice thought.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Bachelors…

You are probably right , although I think if the best Irish courses jumped ship , ATR would be a different place …maybe some dog racing in the afternoons (its like that in winter anyhow !!!)

imo

One can only dream ..

My next racing trip is to FFos Las ….that will have to be a 3 dayer…methinks …loads of sandwiches …and a few spare cans of motor oil….. :mrgreen: (Thats gold to you Nathan )

:mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Leicester’s sole Listed race, the Leicestershire Stakes has been renamed the King Richard III Stakes in homage to him being found in a Leicester car park.

Yeah, right. As if they’d have buried a King of England under a car park.

These so-called ‘historians’ must think we’re stupid.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

A weekend combined there of Gold, Cricket and racing is a nice thought.

I can confirm that if solitude is your desire, Grace Road is only bettered by the Atacama Desert.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Leicester’s sole Listed race, the Leicestershire Stakes has been renamed the King Richard III Stakes in homage to him being found in a Leicester car park.

Yeah, right. As if they’d have buried a King of England under a car park.

These so-called ‘historians’ must think we’re stupid.

Mike

http://www.sickipedia.org/in-the-news/r … iii?page=1

ho ho

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

A weekend combined there of Gold, Cricket and racing is a nice thought.

I can confirm that if solitude is your desire, Grace Road is only bettered by the Atacama Desert.

Mike

It sure is.
    I’ve been to Grace Road a few times and on one occasion I just walked straight in without paying, that must of cost them half a seasons revenue and the gateman didn’t even blink an eye lid, think he was sleeping….. :mrgreen:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

the thoughts of Ginger and Kingy cuddling up just sends shivers down thousands of spines !!!

Just imagine the children. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Was very surprised to read in todays Times (Alan Lee) that RUK only have 40000 subscribers.

Jesus, that’s woeful.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Was very surprised to read in todays Times (Alan Lee) that RUK only have 40000 subscribers.

Jesus, that’s woeful.

That’s still a nice rake in of 900 grand a month, would be a lot more subscribers if the BHA had allowed it to be FTA with sponsorship. The BHA reasoning being ???

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

was very surprised to read in todays Times (Alan Lee) that RUK only have 40000 subscribers.

Jesus, that’s woeful.

Not that bad for a minority sport though !!!

Methinks it will get smaller once folks find out you can get it free by some pirate streaming online ……

Juat how many do you think would pay 22 quid for the dross on ATR ???…not many I suapect

Boil your head please :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Jesus, that’s woeful.

From the Guardian 2006:

The station started charging a £20 per month subscription fee, or £200 for a year payable in advance, in October 2004, with the aim of reaching 20,000 subscribers within 18 months. It signed up 10,000 customers within a week, and has now reached a total of 37,000 paying subscribers, almost twice the figure that was originally anticipated

So from that heady beginning it would appear the number more or less stabilised there, though whether it peaked higher and has declined I don’t know

I wonder if the figure of 40,000 excludes online-only subs, which must surely have grown in popularity, and was the way I went several years ago

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.