The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ATR New Look – Booth to be dropped

Home Forums Horse Racing ATR New Look – Booth to be dropped

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

New Graphics, HD Ready, New Studios, New Programs Schedule from middle of next week plus the booth is to be dropped as the main anchoring of racing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing … ds-newsxml

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

he sheer folly of alienating so many loyal viewers is hard to understand, especially when so many people value the racing reviews if they cannot watch live racing during the day because of little inconveniences like working full-time

Crusty , I dont watch it myself, but thought this was a good post , I cannot fathom why they continue to hack people off

Hopefully they will sort , as a load of folks love watching ATR plus replays …..BTW …aren’t they available in full on the website ??

cheers

Ricky

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

I’ve long been a fan of the Review but I don’t entirely agree with some of the comments.

When all races were shown in their entirety, you could wait three weeks or more for some meetings to be shown (usually Irish ones). Cutting out the first half of a few NH races means all meetings can be shown which must be an improvement.

I don’t know why Southwell’s Friday NH meeting hasn’t been shown yet – has Thursday’s Limerick card been shown?

• Total Posts 1800

They’re not hacking off loyal users as this forum is anti-ATR and pro-RUK, they were shot to pieces when they did show full replays and now they’re shot to pieces when they don’t and they’ll be shot to pieces whatever they do.

If RUK decided to show part-replays presented by Matt Chapman there would be no end of threads praising them for doing so.

And yes, you can see full replays of racing on both websites.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Crusty , I dont watch it myself, but thought this was a good post , I cannot fathom why they continue to hack people off
    Hopefully they will sort , as a load of folks love watching ATR plus replays …..BTW …aren’t they available in full on the website ??

I must confess that I’m genuinely baffled as to why the ATR bosses, who presumably monitor racing forums for audience reaction, haven’t twigged that the cutbacks in the race reviews are causing so much bad feeling, especially as several ATR presenters occasionally contribute to this forum.
    Most people seem to be upset about the cutbacks in the showings of National Hunt meetings, which have always been my preference for watching on the channel, no matter how lowly they are.
    It seems totally ridiculous not to retweek the schedule so that all the racing reviews from all the meetings, including jumps meetings, can be shown in their entirety.
    If there is an endless revolving door-type repetition of news, some of it unnecessarily repetitive, I don’t see why they can’t just be big enough to rejig the schedule to keep these people happy.
    Amazed it hasn’t happened yet. Dog-in-the-manger pig-headedness, to overload the metaphors.
    To give credit to the Racing Post, it has taken on board some of the criticism of its revamped website and, to be honest, I don’t mind it now.
    More links to news stories are available to the casual user instead of just being available to paying members. And I actually find the Twitter-style shorts a useful way of skimming down the news items quickly. Never thought I would say this.
    The ATR full replays might be available on the website but I have never looked at them. I sometimes look at the sportinglife Racing UK replays but it’s a bit of a pain having to keep clicking backwards and forwards etc on the computer for individual races.
    Much more pleasant to sit back in an armchair and watch them on the TV but, with the ATR replays on the TV channel, it’s getting to be hardly worth it, just for the final few fences of jumps meetings.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

They’re not hacking off loyal users as this forum is anti-ATR and pro-RUK, they were shot to pieces when they did show full replays and now they’re shot to pieces when they don’t and they’ll be shot to pieces whatever they do.

If RUK decided to show part-replays presented by Matt Chapman there would be no end of threads praising them for doing so.

And yes, you can see full replays of racing on both websites.

I’m not anti-ATR nor pro-RUK. I can’t afford RUK, but the few times I’ve watched their free slots I’ve found the bits between races to be pretty boring. I’m not saying ATR is better though, it’s just that often RUK only have 1 meeting to show and the verbal chat inbetween is just filling a hole for me, but that’s the same with ATR, BBC or Channel 4 when they only cover 1 meeting.

Yes, you can see full replays, but you don’t get the head-on bit, which is sometimes vital to see if a fallen horse/jockey is up okay. And without a full replay you miss action at the start of races too; it’s very annoying. I want the old format back!

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

As I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think), I don’t see why they couldn’t use some or all of the 6-9 slot (Sun-Fri) for replays as this slot generally only covers low grade Australian Racing (since the teleshopping ads for Paint Runner etc were dropped).

That way they can show the races in full and cover (nearly) all meetings shown on the channel. They can then have "highlights" slots later in the morning which would still allow them to have their beloved new rolling news.

I left out Saturdays as Australis is similarly Saturday-centric for their Group races. Then replays could be consolidated on the Sunday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

I’ve long been a fan of the Review but I don’t entirely agree with some of the comments.

When all races were shown in their entirety, you could wait three weeks or more for some meetings to be shown (usually Irish ones). Cutting out the first half of a few NH races means all meetings can be shown which must be an improvement.

An improvement???

Stratford and Tramore didn’t get shown at all on the review today.

You won’t be waiting 3 weeks for these, they wont be shown at all now.

As much as I like seeing Zoey Bird first thing in the morning, I would prefer to have seen a review of Stratford.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Stratford and Tramore didn’t get shown at all on the review today.
    I would prefer to have seen a review of Stratford.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that they didn’t show Stratford. It’s not as though there were so many ATR meetings that day that it was a sheer impossibility. Some of the meetings that day were RUK.
    I just do not understand why they are needlessly alienating people for no real reason apart from bad organisation of the schedules. There is plenty of room available for the full replays, which are valued by many people who have to go out to work in the day, if there is a will and a bit of flexibility.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

Ahh, but Crusty those pesky replays may be recorded by people who might actually want to take their betting seriously and actually make some money. Likewise, less replays equals more time for those interviews with trainers and bookies reps who can influence the mug punters down a blind alley.

As Russell Brand might say "the sw!nes!!!" :evil:

MoleHorse
    • Total Posts 127

I’ve just wrote an email complaining about the typing noises during the show.

When trying to listen to what the guest was trying to say on today’s show all I heard was someone typing on a keyboard which was highly distracting.

Not impressed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I’ve just wrote an email complaining about the typing noises during the show.

When trying to listen to what the guest was trying to say on today’s show all I heard was someone typing on a keyboard which was highly distracting.

Not impressed.

I hope ATR listen to you, but doubt they will as they haven’t listened to any other criticism of their awful revamp

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

I think the whole thing is because they’re short of cash. Yes, they’ve got a new studio, which most of the time just looks like a new booth, but by cutting the reviews and extending the bulletins they can now get 4 lots of adverts inbetween 9 and 11am, plus a sponsor deal on the review as well. I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like when the jump season gets underway. We’ll be missing jump meetings all over the place, but I can guarantee we’ll never miss an all weather one. :x

I WANT my full Racing Review back and I want it now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

ATR have excelled themselves this morning!

Yesterday I believe they covered FIVE meetings, Lingfield (Flat), Stratford (NH), Hereford (NH), Fontwell (NH), Killarney (Flat – including a Listed event).

Todays racing review:-

9.15-10.00 Lingfield (full), Stratford (Highlights)
    10.15-11.00 Repeat as above.

I’m sure it’s deliberate. :x

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Not only that, but I think it was when showing Sedgefield live the other day, they had the right horse names on the betting, but the previous race’s horses scrolling through at the bottom. I’ve never seen so many mistakes as they’ve had since moving to a new studio.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

ATR have excelled themselves this morning!

Yesterday I believe they covered FIVE meetings, Lingfield (Flat), Stratford (NH), Hereford (NH), Fontwell (NH), Killarney (Flat – including a Listed event).

Todays racing review:-

9.15-10.00 Lingfield (full), Stratford (Highlights)
    10.15-11.00 Repeat as above.

I’m sure it’s deliberate. :x

ATR haven’t had any UK domestic racing to show this afternoon so why not show the full replays instead? Guess it must be because they can’t run enough adverts

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

ATR has definitely gone downhill with their programming and numerous errors and omissions.

Today’s racing review fiasco was typical.

Some of the more observant of you may have noticed on one of the reviews of a Newcastle meeting last week, they managed to broadcast a graphic for the correct 1m 6f race with a totally different sprint race from an earlier meeting, followed by the correct head on and sp graphic.

This also happened earlier in the year when a NH flat race from Uttoxeter was mysteriously replaced on the review with a chase, again from an earlier meeting.

The change in commentator should have given it away.

How do they manage it?

I did think of starting a thread highlighting all the errors on the racing reviews, but don’t think I would have the time to document them all.

I used to enjoy both ATR and RUK equally, but ATR have shown a definite disregard for their viewers recently. RUK are not perfect by any means, but when they received complaints concerning omissions of meetings on their replay a couple of months ago, a reply was quickly read out on air the next day and the error corrected on the that day’s replay. Any complaints to ATR are just ignored.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.