The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Ascot Stakes 2009

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Clopf was one I looked at as well. Unfortunately, I think he will travel well and not get home. It doesn’t help that he has never found a great deal off the bridle.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Glad to see the main race of the day being discussed.

This could be for the NH community with Royal Rationale having a fair chance with David Pipe booking Seb Sanders on a horse who has only had 4 runs on the flat and may be open to improvement.

Willie Mullins runs Sesenta who ran 8th in the County Hurdle and having Seamie Heffernan on board on a horse who won over 1m4f at the Curragh on Heavy but the trip should be no trouble and could be put to sleep at the back,

Venetian Williams who has saddled winners at Cheltenham,Aintree and York festivals so far runs Kayf Aramis who found 2m to short at Goodwood compared to the 2m2f win at York and will be better with the extra 2f and you can bet Venetia will be sporting a fine outfit from her massive wardrobe back in Hereford.

Henrietta Knight also has a very rare flat runner in Ermine Sea who is running off a lower flat rating and has been placed in his only 2 starts over hurdles.

This is an ok renewal but i do think that the Jumping set will be taking this prize, one thing i am looking forward to is that if Ginger McCain goes down with his son Donald in his top hat and tails, i would love to see him go up to Saeed Bin Suroor and Aidan O’Brien to give them hints and tips on how to be a better trainer, now that would be fun.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I see Nicky Henderson has a runner. He’s probably only going to have a jaw with the Queen and is taking Mr & Mrs Kevan Watts who haven’t had a lot of luck with their horses, along for a day out.

Either that or the thing will win by 20 lengths and Nicky will have had a right few quid on it. Then he’ll give the owners that suprised and innocent look after the race and tell them lunch and champers is on them :lol:

On a serious note Kevan Watts is part of the Searchers syndicate who own Fleeting Spirit so he is here for more reasons than this but the horse is apparantly also fancied to run well.

Nicky Henderson is one of the best Trainers around so he won’t lack firness and he wouldn’t be running him without a chance. He’s good ew value at 16/1. He was just beeeten in the Vase a couple of years ago and was strongly fancied for this race when with Michael Jarvis.

Ventia Willims horse looks nailed on to be concerned in the finish so I am having an ew bet on that one too.

Not a race to go crazy in but should be very competive and great to watch

Kayf Aramis ew
    Galient ew
    RFC

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Wouldn’t be my favourite race of the meeting, as it’s such an unusual distance, and the 0-95 ceiling makes it lower class than the other handicaps, thus exempting many horses you might see normally, but

Sesenta

must surely have a decent chance.
    Showed that she may be ready for this distance with a staying on 3rd in the Leopardstown November Handicap last back-end, a much better race than this, so to win over 12f at the Curragh, albeit on heavy ground, demonstrates she’s maintained the improvement she’d shown over hurdles, and 9/1 looks a decent price against horses with far less obvious credentials.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

As regards a selection if the rain stays away Liberate should go well again. Although Kayf Aramis won well at York I didn’t think he was ever travelling last time and there might be a chance that he has had enough for the time being.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Was only a few adys between his last 2 races Stilvi and he’s had 3 weeks to recover. He won 3 races over a 4 week including the Pertemps at Cheltenham. He one tough cookie and Venitia’s aren’t known for lying down easily.

You could be right but this woman knows her stuff and this has been his target on the flat for months.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As regards a selection if the rain stays away Liberate should go well again. Although Kayf Aramis won well at York I didn’t think he was ever travelling last time and there might be a chance that he has had enough for the time being.

I’ve just heard Dave Nevison mumbling and stumbling about KA’s lto performance on RUK, and while you have to have respect for the guy, you often also have to query how much he actually reads the form book?
    A slowly run 2m around a sharp course like Goodwood was never going to be his metier, and I would totally ignore the form of that race for tomorrow’s purposes. 2 runs in quick succession have never been a problem for the horse in the past, and I’d expect him to run much closer to his York form over this more suitable c/d.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

I’ve just heard Dave Nevison mumbling and stumbling about KA’s lto performance on RUK, and while you have to have respect for the guy, you often also have to query how much he actually reads the form book?
    A slowly run 2m around a sharp course like Goodwood was never going to be his metier, and I would totally ignore the form of that race for tomorrow’s purposes. 2 runs in quick succession have never been a problem for the horse in the past, and I’d expect him to run much closer to his York form over this more suitable c/d.

If Goodwood was never going to suit it does beg the question as to why he was running and also if my memory is correct why he was a very heavily backed favourite.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

…emm, probably because after lagging up at York he was going to go up a stone but could run at Goodwood under a penalty….

He’s just a bit tricky though and could just have had enough for a while even if Goodwood didn’t play to his strengths. I also wonder if it’s just coincidence that he’s never won right-handed.
    I have a sneaky one here- Always Bold has some decent Flat form and is in blinding form over the sticks: I can’t see why he’s 20-1.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The knew you were coming :P

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1747

…emm, probably because after lagging up at York he was going to go up a stone but could run at Goodwood under a penalty….

He’s just a bit tricky though and could just have had enough for a while even if Goodwood didn’t play to his strengths. I also wonder if it’s just coincidence that he’s never won right-handed.
    I have a sneaky one here- Always Bold has some decent Flat form and is in blinding form over the sticks: I can’t see why he’s 20-1.

Unfortunately for you CH I quite like the look of Always Bold too with Hanagan on board and pretty much guaranteed to get the trip. Looks like he goes on most ground as well. The Mullins horse Sesenta would have a chance though the firmish ground would be a concern and at a decent price I’m considering Jim Old’s Gala Evening who has been running OK over hurdles and who should be staying on when others have cried enough

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Have done Judgethemoment EW. Was tempted to do Kayf Aramis but he needs cut to be at his best.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Nice one at least someone got the winner…as for the rest of us we should to 8 horse Group races………. the nearest my horse got to the winner was in the paddock :lol:

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Great line!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.