The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arkle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Arkle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 298 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

"I understand how you feel but my background in racing perhaps affords me a different view from many others."

That sentence deserves some sort of prize, any suggestions, anyone?

Colin

What you trying to do Colin start a witch Hunt?

Very ignorant post!!!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Very ignorant post!!!!!

I believe that was Colin’s point (hint, Colin is one of several dozen other forumites who are/have been involved in racing)

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Thanks for the support, Rory.

Fists, the sentence of yours, that I quoted, suggests that you are either very arrogant or very ignorant.

Over to you, sir.

Colin

batman
    • Total Posts 489

"I understand how you feel but my background in racing perhaps affords me a different view from many others."

That sentence deserves some sort of prize, any suggestions, anyone?

Colin

What you trying to do Colin start a witch Hunt?

Very ignorant post!!!!!

In fairness Fist when i read your post i thought the same

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Fair Enough but Colin has an infuriating habit of picking people up on the most stupid things but adding little else. One liners add nothing to discussion.

I would like to ay this much. If Colin does have a background similar to my own he knows I speak the truth.

No disrespect to Ian but his comments about bans etc are typical of a betting shop punter. If you sid something like that to atrainer or jockey they would think you were a right pratt (not saying you are Ian just trying to make an honest point mate)

If you go racing and have been lucky enough to get to know that lads you will know exactly what I mean. Trainers and jockey I know and knew spoke openly about horses they didn’t want to give hard race to for various reasons. If you talk to any jockey worth a pinch of salt he will explain to you that you simply don’t knock young horses about that don’t have the strength to go on and win. Nor will they drive a novice chaser into a fence at 100mph unless he is an exceptionally good leper. With Straw Bear Tony wanted to get him round safe and sound and did take it easy on the horse. Had he wnt all out Straw Bear might be dead by now. I hve no idea how he has schooled but you can bet Tony did and made his decision to ride him the way he did based on that.

A lot of novices could run better everyday and could even get placed but you are taking the risk you’ll set him back a mile by doing so. If it was your own horse I am damn sure you wouldn’t be disagreeing with me

So anyone who thinks they give a damn about the punter with tenner EW on are very very wrong. They are proffesionals who look after the horse first and foremost and when you bet to win easy money you should keep that in mind and take it on the chin when you get it wrong.

If you disagree with me then fine but give reasons why..smart assed comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Without the £10 merchants – and i am one – there wouldn’t be a game, or not as you know it. Snobby drivel, feel free to pass it on to "Jonjo" next time he’s round for Bridge.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

No one in racing would look down at you for being a 10 quid punter nor would they care if you had a million quid in your wallet. If you are a plonker who talks rubbish about this and that was stopped without justification or moans about your losses they will steer a wide path of you,. They just don’t want to know about what you bet or you never bet…Please try to understand that these people love their animals and they won’t go knocking lumps out of young horses just because one of us idiots shoved our wages on it. It’s got nothing to do with snobbery.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

It was interesting what Kim Bailey wrote in his daily blog about bumpers, saying that, in his opinion a bumper was to give a young horse a good experience of going racing; not a race where they are hard ridden to win.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

It was interesting what Kim Bailey wrote in his daily blog about bumpers, saying that, in his opinion a bumper was to give a young horse a good experience of going racing; not a race where they are hard ridden to win.

That’s perfectly true. Imagine how you felt if you can rmemeber the first time our mother took you into a strange enviroment called school. Some of us took to it first time there and others took ages to adjust. Don’t know about you but I can still remeber being terrified but my mum just kpet coaxing me and bided her time. Eventually I couldn’t wait to go.

Trainers do the same and if a horse needs time they adapt a slowly slowly routine and eventually bring the best out them.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Strangely i’ve been under the misconception that trainers train their horses for racing? I must have been wrong.

I think you’ll find people like Paul Nicholls would disagree with what your saying Fists. See I don’t remember many of his turning up for their chase debuts unable to jump and not trying to win. Fair enough once a horse is beaten don’t beat it up – But to nurse a horse round all the way says that either he shouldn’t be there in the first place or the trainer isn’t doing his job properly.

Bumper’s are slightly different as they generally are the first time horses have been on a racetrack. I haven’t bet on a bumper for as long as I can remember for that very reason.

• Total Posts 1982

Two comments from RP online…

“I think this is a star of the future. It’s unusual for me to say that, but I did say it after Best Mate won here as a youngster. I adore this horse, and the plan is definitely for him to come back to the Festival.”

~Henrietta Knight

AP was complimentary and said he could be an Arkle horse next year.

~Terry Biddlecombe

The horse in question is Calgary Bay. He’s got a fair bit to find on some of the leading contenders, but he’s a big, good looking horse who will undoubtedly improve over the bigger obstacles.

Henrietta Knight normally targets her fancied chasers at a novice / beginners’ chase at Exeter, like she did with Best Mate and Racing Demon, at this time of year. The race Straw Bear made his seasonal bow in would’ve been perfect.

Talking about that race. I believe AP did ride Straw Bear to achieve the best possible position.

I’ve always considered the horse to be a bit light-weight and often appearing to lack in confidence. If AP pushed the horse too hard, it’s quite possible Straw Bear would’ve made a few errors, lost confidence and dropped away tamely, or worse, fall.

He’ll improve for that and whilst I don’t think he’ll be quite good enough against the very best, that ride will give him the confidence to pick up a few races and the opportunity to compete at Cheltenham.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Have always liked Free World, and where I think he may currently sit behind Tatenen in the pecking order, at 16-1, I think I’ll have a go on him for now.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Given the apparent lack of depth in the QM field, I’d be holding fire on any bets for the Arkle for the time being (although you’d probably be safe with a Nicholls runner).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I don’t think a lack of depth is a concern, Friggo, when Tidal Bay and Master Minded are likely to turn out (if one doesn’t it will because the other has already tanked it and is nigh-on unbeatable).

I’msingingtheblues was massively disappointing at Kempton this afternoon, even allowing for the fact that Briareus is a decent horse himself. Tatenen would now appear to be ‘the one’ for Nicholls.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Calgary Bay would need to find about 10mph. Bar inserting a scud up his backside he won’t win it.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Got to disagree hugely there Equitrack – Briarius was a very, very classy hurdler, and the market suggests he was well primed for his comeback today (8’s to 4’s). Imsingingtheblues travelled like the winner throughout before a poorish last jump handed the initiative over.

He was optimistically placed by Nicholls today (surely a positive in itself long term), and ran a stormer in my book, stuffing everything but the winner out of sight.

Cannot for the life of me see how today was dissapointing.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I didn’t see the race today, but that is very much how I am interpreting the run, PC.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 298 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.