The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Home Forums Horse Racing Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Viewing 17 posts - 936 through 952 (of 1,494 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Probably wrong but I’ll have a guess Seasider – John Williams?

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Brian Rouse. Left the sport for a bit which explains the gap; rode Dessie in the Sagaro Stakes.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

The Ghost has it with Brian Rouse.

He rode his first winner at Alexandra Park in 1957. His second came at Chepstow in 1972.

Speculation abounds as to why Rouse left racing to become a trainee electrician. My preferred explanation is that his riding experience at Ally Pally was so traumatic (the course was a potential deathtrap, especially after a shower of rain on a dry surface) that he waited until the place was closed down before he began riding again.

I guess his crowning moment was winning the 1,000 Guineas in 1980 on John Dunlop’s Quick As Lightning, probably the most inaptly named Classic winner of all time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Good question Seasider, Rouse took over as stable jockey for Ryan Price after Brian Taylor was sadly killed at Sha Tin.

Think the best horse he rode would have been Stannera who completed the unique double of the Prince of Wales’s and Hardwicke at the 83 Royal Ascot as well as winning the Japan Cup the same year.

A bit of trivia from my memory banks, Rouse’s daughter was a page 3 model.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Agreed, yeats. Stanerra has to be best flat horse he ever got on.

In fact, the mare’s career only really took off when Rouse got the ride for her 5-y-o campaign. I’m now also reminded of Blue Refrain, who BR piloted to win three different races at successive Royal Ascot meetings 1978-1980, and Baronet’s two Cambridgeshires around the same time, both horses coming out of John Benstead’s Epsom yard.

I didn’t know about his daughter. Perhaps I should have kept a closer eye on her form.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

In relation to the previous question, and without peeking at books or websites, name the jockeys who rode Desert Orchid in chronological order i.e. in the order of when they first got on the horse.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

The second jockey to ride the grey for the first (and only) time had a career that lasted from 1972-1987. His final season yielded a Cheltenham Festival winner. During that race he dislocated a shoulder, and subsequently rode only a handful of horses before retiring later the same year.

His 100% record on Desert Orchid began and ended with a win at Kempton in December 1983.

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

That I do believe is Simon Sherwood (he of the 100% record on him). Jockey number 3, who succeeded him, was Richard Dunwoody. Before Simon Sherwood was Colin Brown. The joker in the pack that is the question is all those who rode him after he retired … not sure that I could get those in chronological order!!! CB was often on board him at Kempton on Boxing Day. I vaguely remember that some top flat jockeys ‘had a go’ on him and found him a bit of a handful … :)

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Titus, Simon Sherwood didn’t have a 100% record on Desert Orchid (the horse unseated him at Liverpool in April 1989) and he is not jockey #2.

As indicated on the previous page of this thread Brian Rouse is jockey #3.

I’m only looking for the six riders who partnered the horse on the racecourse. So far we have Brown, Rouse, Sherwood & Dunwoody and another two are required, namely jockeys #2 and #6.

Jockey #2 was for a number of years retained by an owner who styled himself as a sheikh and who had plenty of good horses in the 1980s.

• Total Posts 15020

Going by the last clue……..Richard Lindley?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

That would be Bradders when he was well beaten in the Tingle Creek.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Identify this horse. Easy this time I think.

IMG_8308<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

That one was easy. If you click on the photo it gives you the name of the horse :whistle:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Well done yeats – Graham Bradley it is.

On his one outing on the horse the combination finished about 20l behind Young Snugfit in the 1990 Tingle Creek chase.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

The name of a horse that won both The Royal Hunt Cup & The Cambridgeshire?

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Chivalry – 1954 Royal Hunt Cup / 2003 Cambridgeshire

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Good enough for me espmadrid although I did have Pipedreamer – 1979 Hunt Cup / 2007 Cambridgeshire in mind.

What would have been the odds on 2 doing it with such a big gap between victories?

Over to you.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Name the horse who holds the record as the oldest runner in a race under rules in the UK.

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 936 through 952 (of 1,494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.