The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Home Forums Horse Racing Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Viewing 17 posts - 919 through 935 (of 1,494 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

You are close St Nic!

You have the brothers, and you have the link to today (Eclipse day; an Eclipse winner) – but you need the hurdler, and the connections are not the two brothers!

So it’s not a Grade 1 hurdler sired by Glint of Gold then…

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

No :)

Clue 2: not all the connections are equine!

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

The connection is a third brother Crystal Spirit (half brother by Kris out of Crown Treasure) won the Cleve Hurdle and Sun Alliance Hurdle and Sun Alliance Chase in the 1990s. He was owned as his half brothers by Paul Mellon who won the Eclipse Stakes with Mill Reef and trained by Ian Balding who also won with Mill Reef and the brothers.

Titus Oates
    Participant
    • Total Posts 236

You have it Crepello :)

The horses are Glint of Gold, Diamond Shoal and Crystal Spirit.
    The three connections are: same owner/breeder (Paul Mellon); same trainer (Ian Balding); and same mum (Crown Treasure). The connection to today is, of course, that the same connections won the Eclipse with Mill Reef.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Identify this horse. Easy this time I think.

IMG_8308<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Participant
    • Total Posts 126

That’s Never Say Die, Lester Piggott’s first Derby winner in 1954. Also won the St. Leger. Smashing looking little horse. :heart:

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Over to you then, thought that would be too easy, black and white pic next time.
    Never Say Die reviled by Vincent O Brian even though he had been the sire of his first Epsom Derby winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 126

Okay, here’s a riddle for you.

I’m thinking of two Classic winners, on opposite sides of the Atlantic.

Both finished third in the first leg of their respective Triple Crown campaigns.

Both were out of daughters of English Classic winning stallions.

Both were decent stallions themselves.

What are their names, and what do they have in common?

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

For the Western Atlantic Classic winner I’ll take a shot at Damascus.

The horse finished 3rd in the 1967 Kentucky Derby and followed up with victories in the Preakness & Belmont Stakes. His dam was the unraced Kerala, a daughter of 1948 English 2,000 Guineas winner My Babu. Damascus sired the winners of more than 60 stakes races.

No idea about the Eastern Atlantic Classic winner, not even the country of origin given that it could be England, Ireland or France. Or somewhere else with an Atlantic seaboard.

Participant
    • Total Posts 126

You’ve got Damascus right Seasider!

I’ll give you a clue that the other horse was a Classic winner in England. Now that you have Damascus, the rest should hopefully fall into place… :-)

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Nice question, SNA.

I suspect the English Classic winner was Tehran.

The colt won the 1944 St Leger after running 3rd in the 2,000 Guineas and experiencng a narrow defeat in the Derby. His dam was the issue of Solario, himself a winner of the final Classic of the season in 1925.

I believe the connection is a two-centre holiday, of limited popularity, in Damascus & Tehran advertised by some cowboy travel agent whose name escapes me right now.

As always, I’m prepared to be wrong about that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 126

Spot on, well done Seasider!

And yes, we even got a geography refresher in there too. ;-)

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Like a few posters have said, answering questions is preferable to asking them. That said, it’s satisfying to see the thread getting regular play.

Since 1945, which jockey had a gap of 17 years between his first winner and his second. Clues will follow if required.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6309

Is it a pro jockey Seasider?
    Or somebody like Procter who used to ride work on all the good Dick Hern horses?

My mind is working on this one……

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

raymo, the rider concerned was a proper jockey who is best known for his exploits on the flat.

His career tally of wins approached 1,000 with his best season netting him almost 70 victories. He was asssociated with some very good horses including several Group 1 winners.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

During the 1980s this jockey became the third to get the leg up on one of the best known horses of that or any other decade.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Since 1945, which jockey had a gap of 17 years between his first winner and his second.

Doublechecking, the gap was actually 15 years.

Viewing 17 posts - 919 through 935 (of 1,494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.