The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Home Forums Horse Racing Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Viewing 17 posts - 800 through 816 (of 1,494 total)
  • Author
    Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Well done Ghost, especially as I have no more clues that wouldn’t easily have given the answer away.

Reportedly Grimalkin was the Godolphin Arabian’s constant companion. It is certainly true that Grimalkin was the stable cat, but how much friendship was involved is unclear. More apocryphal, probably, are the stories concerning Grimalkin’s demise.

One legend has the Godolphin Arabian killing Grimalkin by accidentally sitting on her. From that point on the grief-stricken horse hated all cats and any that came within range of him risked a good kicking. Another story has the Godolphin Arabian dying, and Grimalkin sitting on his carcass while the horse was carried to its grave. Following the burial the cat disappeared. Shortly afterwards she was found dead in a stable, the legend presuming that she died from grief.

Graymalkin was the familiar of the first witch, and she gets a mention in Act 1, Scene 1.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

If anyone has a question feel free to post one.

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Okay, I’ll have a bash.

What is the precise link between Fabalu, Sudden Victory and Anice Stellato?

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Thought mine were obscure? I’ve never even heard of these horses…..

• Total Posts 15020

Fabalu was one of my favourite horses over the last few years, but no idea what the answer is.

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Big clue: it’s not so much the horses themselves, as when they won…

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Hi Ghost,

Notwithstanding the Big Clue I remain flummoxed.

There are racing statistics for Fabalu and Anice Stellato online, and some more limited ones for Sudden Victory, but they don’t reveal the connection as far as I can make out. Maybe we are all going to kick ourselves when the answer emerges.

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Okay, I’m obviously better at answering questions than asking them. It was all there on the RP results for you though.

They all won the first race on a card which included a Group/Grade 1 temporarily moved from another track.

Fabalu won the first race at Wetherby in Dec 2008, the day the Yorkshire track hosted the Fighting Fifth, rearranged from an abandoned Newcastle.

Sudden Victory won the first race at Ayr on the day in 1989 that the St Leger was run in Scotland, following the abandonment of the Doncaster meeting due to an unsafe track.

And Anice Stellato won the opener on the day in August 2008 that Newmarket played host to the Nunthorpe, moved from a washed-out York Ebor meeting.

• Total Posts 15020

Good question Cruella, I’d never have got that.

Although that one was strictly speaking “googleable”, I like the ones where you either know it or you don’t, and also discourage googling.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

I’m not sure how strong this question is, but here goes.

What did Quest For Fame achieve in the 1990s that hadn’t been done since Isinglass did it in the 1890s.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6309

Could it be win the Derby after being beaten in the Chester Vase ?

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Nice try, raymo.

Quest For Fame was beaten in the Chester Vase, finishing 2nd of 3 to Belmez, but Isinglass didn’t contest the race.

Although it’s crucial to note that both horses were Derby winners, the question doesn’t concern itself with the actual race or any prior trials.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi , suppose I’d better have a crack at this one.

Was going to suggest that Quest For Fame was the first derby winner to still be racing as a 5 year old until I noticed St Amant did, so……….

….will take a revised guess that Quest For Fame was the first to WIN as a 5 year old.

Bad to suggest I hope I’m wrong but have no question to post so if I hit lucky, please someone feel free to step in.

Cheers
    I.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

You hope wrong, isinglass, because you’re right.

High-Rise can be added to the mix as well, making three horses in 105 years to do the deed.

Whether or not any Derby winner won at 5 before your namesake I just don’t know, and I lack the will to find out.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6309

Well done isinglass :good: :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32172

Test

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 126

Do we wait for @isinglass to ask a question, or can anyone jump in?

Viewing 17 posts - 800 through 816 (of 1,494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.