The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Home Forums Horse Racing Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 1,494 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 336

Pine Dance, American Derby in 2000

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Yes well done Free Radical – over to you…

Always a good pub quiz question is "Where is home to the American Derby" because some people will blurt out Churchill Downs rather than Arlington but that was too easy for this forum!

• Total Posts 336

Thanks Adrian

Name the horse who won his first race in a class 5 handicap and 5 years later won a Group 1

Participant
    • Total Posts 1659

Bahamian Pirate?

• Total Posts 336

Bahamian Pirate?

Had to check, but he won a maiden before a C5 handicap. Of course, I’m hoping that there isn’t another horse out there with a similar profile to the one I am thinking of.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

That will be My Best Valentine. He won a Class 5 at Beverley for Peter Harris and then, as a 8yo, won the Prix de l’Abbaye de Longchamp (Gr.1) for Vic Soane. Remarkable old boy.

• Total Posts 336

That will be My Best Valentine. He won a Class 5 at Beverley for Peter Harris and then, as a 8yo, won the Prix de l’Abbaye de Longchamp (Gr.1) for Vic Soane. Remarkable old boy.

Well done Adrian, saw him at the first ever meeting I went to, when he was a 3yr old, think he finished 4th, but for some reason I always kept an eye open for him afterwards.

Over to you

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Staying on the same theme, which horse started out winning a bumper (the first of 15 wins) and won a Kelso maiden hurdle before winning Group 1 flat races in three different countries?

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Staying on the same theme, which horse started out winning a bumper (the first of 15 wins) and won a Kelso maiden hurdle before winning Group 1 flat races in three different countries?

Collier Hill?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Yes Collier Hill who won Group 1s in Ireland, Canada and Hong Kong.

• Total Posts 3

Ela-Mana-Mou :D

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ll bowl you one up to breathe some life back into this thread:

Which (same) horse won the Derby in 2012 and the Guineas in 2013?

Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

Adrian

Just to prove someone is still reading this thread…

I would imagine that would be MAJOR MAXIMUS who won the Jersey Derby at Les Landes in July 2012 and followed up in the Jersey Guineas there in April.

I’ve been to Les Landes and walked the course, though sadly there was no racing the week we visited the island. Lovely setting and well worth a visit if you get the chance.

Rob

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Yes well done Rob – it was Major Maximus. I’ve been to Les Landes as well but, like you, I’ve never seen a race meeting there. Must put that right in the near future. Over to you…

Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

Major Maximus goes for the 2013 Guineas/Derby double today.

A new question:

Which was the last horse to jump the water jump in a race at Plumpton?

It should be possible to work this out with a bit of research, but I’ll give a clue later if there’s no answer forthcoming.

Rob

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ll take a stab with Joker Jack a grand old servant who had a race named after him the same day!

Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

Spot on!

He didn’t actually run in the race name after him, but was the tail ender in the staying handicap chase the same day. I was there and I can remember the commentator mentioning that he would be the last to jump the water. Plumpton’s web site gave a bit of clue to that one.

Incidentally, back to the previous question and you could now ask which horse won a Derby two years in a row. Major Maximus secured a 5 length victory in this year’s Jersey Derby held on Sunday.

Seems this thread is the Adrian and Rob Show! Next question?

Rob

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 1,494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.