Another course record at Newmarket

Home Forums Horse Racing Another course record at Newmarket

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Triptych Triptych 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26153

What is going on at this track? :unsure:

value is everything
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8400

The wind up their tales…
    It was gusting strongly down the course today. :yes:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Cav
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4770

Course was remeasured in 2017. Probably has something to do with it. Pinch of salt required imo.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26153

Good point, didn’t know that, thanks Cav. The wind is undoubtedly part of it, Jac; but there’s been wind blowing down the course many times in the past and suspect stronger too. If course records only go back a couple of years that would explain why they’re being broken so often and doesn’t mean the ground was as fast/firm as it sounds.

value is everything
    TheBluesBrother
    TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1064

The official going description was given as good, I had it at +0.29s/f (good to firm).

You only had to look at the so called new course record set by the 3yo Dame Malliot in the 2:40, what was remarkable she only carried 8-5 over a distance that was +21yds (1.4s) due to rail movements.

As the original comparison per furlong time was slow by 0.72s, taking into account the extra 21yds adjustment, you are now looking at a comparison per furlong time of fast by -0.68s/f.

The majority of racing pundits do not understand going allowances at all, if you accept the clerk of the course going description of good, then Ed Vaughan has Pegasus on his hands, if I was heavily sedated I could go along with this.

Mike.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8400

Being a racing fan who totally doesn’t get going allowances TBB I would be interested to know where you would now rate INCOGNITO who ran 4 and half lengths second to Ananya in the 2.05 Newmarket yesterday – Ground Good – carrying 5lb more weight (1m.24.85s) slow by 1.85 was the official time.
    Previously she had run 4th to Light Blush, Craylands and Award Scheme, over same course and distance but at level weights a race which I thought flagged up some decent fillies.
    Incognito was 1 and a quarter length behind the winner in 4th – Ground G/F – official time (1m.25.23 (slow by 2.23).

Ananya seemingly came with a wet sail up the stands side. Just wondered what your ratings of these 5 fillies (Light Blush, Craylands, Award Scheme, Incognito and Ananya) are now based on those two races over same course and distance.. many thanks Jac :good:

TheBluesBrother
    TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1064

I would be interested to know where you would now rate INCOGNITO who ran 4 and half lengths second to Ananya in the 2.05 Newmarket yesterday

Incognito – 54
    Light Blush – 46
    Craylands – 44
    Award Scheme – 42
    Ananya – 60

you can always download my speed figure sheets and just use the filters.

Flat: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DDkTSTVlFh3qbylKq8bYYx7ZycOZNoQ8
    NH: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r1FcjEUEFRXIlojKmtcyGH6NIv9nbBdr

Mike.

Cav
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4770

The changes made to distances since remeasuring took place, can be found in the link below.

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Changes-To-Flat-Race-Distances-12-05-17-1.pdf

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8400

Many thanks TBB for your ratings on those five fillies and for the link and also to Cav. :good:
    I think we will see a few top class fillies emerge from that bunch and interesting to see Incognito get a higher rating than the 3 who beat her.
    :good: Jac

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.