The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Amron Lad

Home Forums Memorials Amron Lad

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Somersaulted at the 2nd ditch and broke a front leg. The fence was ommited on the 2nd circuit and the horse looked already dead behind the screens. That is always a good sign if it was the case, meaning the horse didn’t have to suffer much.
    Nice to see the commentators on RUK being full of life and cracking jokes after the race. Why mentioning fatalities at all? Right they are….
    Rest in Peace Amron Lad

AND WHAT A SHAME THAT THE 2ND OPEN DITCH AT MARKET RASEN HAS CLAIMED SO MANY LIFES OVER THE PAST. BUT HEY, DON’T CHANGE IT, THAT’S WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO SEE.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Probably didn’t mention it because the commentator said horse and rider were up okay just after the fall. :roll:

No excuse for not double-checking, especially if the screens are up.

RIP.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Drives me mad when the commentators are leaping up and down and babbling on like silly children about the winner, and showing the finish over and over again, when we know damn well that there is a horse down out out there on the course, dead or very soon to be so :cry:

I know they are only trying to gloss over the unpalatable truth and promote a positive image, but there are many people who really want to know the outcome, however bad, about a fall. So often we have to wait until the poor horse turns up here on Memorials to know what happened to it.

We REALLY DO want to know, good or bad news, because we care!!!!!!!
    And they know damn well we care from the crowd reaction when a horse which has been down some time gets up and walks away!

RIP Amron Lad :cry:

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

Horrible fall. How can the commentator say up ok when the horses front foreleg was very obviously swinging about. Half a screen to cover the horses body. At least his death was quick if not dignified. RIP Amron Lad :( :( :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

What is the matter with these commentator people? IMHO they need a damn good slap! :shock:

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

It’s nice that at least you people (who are by the way a very likeable and caring bunch) realize how ignorant commentators have become these days. Bad enough that a horse is just about to be desribed as "fatally injured", they ignore its injury and go on about the race. How fantastic it was and how pleasing it must be for connections to have won the race. Come on, show at least some dignity and mention the fallen athlete first. They are your daily bread, that is the reason why you get to commentate races and travel round the country and meet nice and interesting people.
    Don’t hide anything from the public.

qodarkness
    • Total Posts 3

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster. Just on the Racing UK coverage of Amron Lad, I watched the end of the race and, while they were waiting for the photo finish result, one of the commentators (I don’t know who’s who) mentioned Amron Lad and that he had had a bad fall and that it really didn’t look good. He described himself as fingers crossed for the horse and its connections, but that it really did look bad.

I think that commentators can sometimes gloss over or ignore fatalities and I have been very cranky at some race coverage where this has happened but in this case it wasn’t done or at least wasn’t taken lightly. Whoever the commentator was, he was genuinely concerned for the horse, informed the public that it looked bad and he sincerely was hoping for the best. It was some time after the race, I agree, and probably should have been mentioned earlier. But it was discussed.

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

Thank you and well said Rubylight. That’s what I find really upsetting (apart from the loss of a beautiful animal), that the fallen horses sometimes get ignored, not even mentioned, as though they are worthless now. Some trainers pay respect to their fallen horses on their websites and obviously grieve for the animals. Some dont seem to give a hoot, or that’s how it appears.
    I know these animals aren’t pets as such but they are working their hearts off for their owners/trainers and deserve more respect than some are afforded.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7514

mamamia

Where possible I do try to find out what happened to any horses which appear to have been injured. However, it can be difficult and I’m sure one or two who do race reports would back me up on this one. Television commentators are often as much in the dark as the rest of us.

I was at Yarmouth in July when a filly called Princess Palmer got injured down at the start. She was ferried to the stables in the horse ambulance, but my enquiries to anybody remotely official yielded nothing more than that ‘she is being treated by the course vet’. Her fate is still unknown to me.

Rob

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

robnorth

Thank you. I rely on people like yourself finding out how the injured horses are. Perhaps we should have a seperate thread for those horses that have fallen or are pulled up and are OK but not reported on. This would make for much happier reading.

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

I am not blaming the commentators (in this case the very warm and pleasant Malcolm Tomlinson), however I wish they would pay a bit more attention to the fallers as well. Yesterday Malcolm had quite a few chances to realize how badly Amron Lad was injured. Let’s say he missed the swinging leg after they jumped the 4th. The next time round they had to ommit the fence due to the stricken (hopefully already dead) horse, who was lying behind the screens. Now he couldn’t miss that one I think and it took him quite a while to inform us about the incident. So that is why I felt very angry yesterday.
    By the way, John Hunt did very well to inform us over his Twitter account about the other "fatality" which seems to have survived after bursting a few blood vessels. Even jockey Cjharlie Poste said he’s never seen anything like that before and was nicely surprised to see him get up again. Let’s hope he recovers pretty fast.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16966

RIP Amron Lad :cry: condolences to all connections and trainer Donald McCain a sad end for a beautiful boy :cry: :cry:

Agree with all comments made about some, not all, commentators who seem to try to carry on with the party when a beautiful animal is lying dead on the racecourse. My heart always goes out to the lad or lass who has spent so much time preparing that horse for his/her big day only to go home with an empty horsebox, that must hurt so much.

Grand National day highlighted the sadness for me when I wanted to be so happy for Neptune Collonges winning but could only be seen crying my eyes out for Synchronised and According to Pete..and I have never watched the rerun of the race it’s too upsetting.
    Hoping beyond hope that next year any horse which throws it’s jockey before the start of the race, or any race, and runs loose will be withdrawn. If this rule had been in place last year then Synchronised would still be alive. Who knows what injury a horse could sustain while running loose so why was McCoy allowed to remount him, poor boy he didn’t want to run.

Agree that a separate thread for horses that get up from nasty falls would be a good idea, maybe call it the Get Well Soon thread.

Great group of caring people on here and it helps a lot.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

One further element of Amron Lad’s demise has been overlooked.

It’s entirely possible that some of those concerned knew how fatally injured the gelding was, but were asked to respect the racecourse executive’s wishes not to spell it out in as many words.

This particularly applies to the duty commentator. Historically certain racecourses have not wished for dead horses to be called dead horses, and Market Rasen has perhaps more previous in this regard than most. Without naming names, it’s believed that one commentator hasn’t been invited back to Rasen (in this capacity, at least) since rightly advising that a last-flight faller, nearly a distance clear at the time, wasn’t going to get up.

(NB The same commentator, when confronted with a horse suffering a pretty conspicuous heart attack two out at Huntingdon two years later, was noticeably careful in advising that it had "fallen over". This, again, I suspect was at the course’s bidding rather than his).

Back to Sunday’s incident, I don’t know for certain what Rasen’s policy nowadays actually is, but I wouldn’t be staggered if any of the above still informed what was said – and at least as importantly wasn’t said – during the commentary.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.