The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Amir Khan

Home Forums General Sports Amir Khan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

What a fantastic performance by Amir Khan in Las Vegas Saturday night. After years of waiting we have had two truly British World class boxers within ten years. Firstly Joe Calzhage retired undefeated and now Amir Khan, who totally outclassed a great champion in Zab Judah. And what a training performance by Freddy Roache.
    Interesting that when he was asked to comment on his stable ,he reminded the enquirer that he has had Manny Paquiao for seven years but only had Amin for three.The future looks bright.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31

Oh come on…..Zab Judah was past it years ago! Khan is a good boxer no doubt but he’s got a long way to go to become a great. He’s certainly in the right place under Freddy Roach and I always admire British boxers who are prepared to go to America to improve themselves. Talk of Khan seeking out Mayweather further down the line are purely for financial purposes. There’s nothing wrong with that – I would do exactly the same if I were in his shoes, however Mayweather will destroy Khan.

Unfortunately, many British boxers are just happy to base themselves in the UK and pick up big purses from pretty mediocre fights. I put Joe Calzaghe firmly in that camp too…..one of the most overrated boxers we have had. His "unbeaten" record that he harps on about so much would be credible if he had beaten any of the champions in their prime that he ducked!

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Classic Winner

Private messageWebsiteRoddy Owen
    Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:43 am
    by Roddy Owen on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:43 am

The British star has certainly come a long way since he moved to the states. In a fantastic fight Sat night he defeated Marcos Maidana . Possibly the fight of the decade here are The Ring observations.

BIGGEST WINNER

Amir Khan The oh-so-talented Briton has demonstrated uncommon ability throughout his short career. On Saturday, against Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas, he demonstrated that he’s a true fighter. Khan’s very career was in the balance after he was hurt badly by a thunderous overhand right about a minute into the 10th round. A lot of people watching – me included – doubted that he could survive the crisis against a monster like Maidana, who tried desperately to finish the job. The fact Khan remained on his feet for the remainder of that round and the final two said a lot about him. I still wonder whether his chin might be his undoing one day but we all know now that he has tremendous heart. That and his remarkable speed and skills could take him a long, long way.

MOST DISAPPOINTED

Marcos Maidana: The warrior from Argentina proved again that he’ll give any 140-pounder in the world hell, win or lose. That’s what he put Khan through on Saturday night. He was hurt badly by a body shot in the first round but got up and kept coming. He ate 273 hard punches, according to CompuBox statistics, and kept coming. He appeared to grow tired in about the ninth round but kept coming. He hurt Khan in the 10th round and, tired or not, unleashed a frightening barrage of wild punches in a futile attempt to end the fight. His fighting spirit and unusual resilience is inspiring. He lost a unanimous decision to a better boxer but undoubtedly increased his fan base. Maidana will be back.

RedGrumbler
    • Total Posts 15

I put Joe Calzaghe firmly in that camp too…..one of the most overrated boxers we have had. His "unbeaten" record that he harps on about so much would be credible if he had beaten any of the champions in their prime that he ducked!

I couldn’t disagree more. Calzaghe may not have been overly flamboyant like a Eubank, a Prince Naseem or a Mayweather. In fact it’s probably fair to say that he had/has the charisma of a prune. But don’t let that detract from what he achieved in the ring.

He was a really classy boxing performer. In the latter part of his career he didnt get the knockdowns but he was a graet tactician and had genuine speed and fitness. His tactical nous and his great staying power are what kept him unbeaten. A lot of modern day British fighters could learn from that.

As for him ducking champs?! What’s to say that they weren’t ducking him? He fought Jones and Hopkins when their egos finally let them fight him. He was actually doing them a favour by taking them on. He fought Lacy, "the next Tyson" and he fought Mikkel Kessler too, probably the best fighter left in the division until he damaged his eye.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.