The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

All Weather Lays and Plays

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips All Weather Lays and Plays

Viewing 17 posts - 970 through 986 (of 1,253 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Southwell

1.00 Lesleys Choice, Fitz Flyer
    3.15 Stand Gaurd

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

Decent prices today at Wolves

155 Justcallmehandsome Alt Ella Woodcock
    230 Gower Alt Interchoice Star
    405 Mary Helen
    435 Mighty Mover Alt Shake On it
    535 Kirstys Lad Alt Chia

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Tallest Peak (3-1) and Russian Invader (7-1) in the last 2 races at Southwell.

Both appeared not to get home over longer trips last time out after travelling well on the home turn. I’ll make it an each way double!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I do hope the victory of Miss Taken (1.40 Southwell) is looked in to, claimer or no claimer, given the ease with which she has reversed a collective two-race deficit of some 17.50 lengths with Lord Victor.

• Total Posts 1217

AW is corrupt – how on earth did Brazilian Brush, only won twice from around 30 starts and has ran very moderately this year, won by 10 lengths?! Very suspicious as was the Miss Taken race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

AW is corrupt – how on earth did Brazilian Brush, only won twice from around 30 starts and has ran very moderately this year, won by 10 lengths?! Very suspicious as was the Miss Taken race.

TAPK"s first rule of success when betting on horses! Avoid the All weather like the plague,particularly Southwell!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Today was first time the horse wore blinkers.

• Total Posts 2432

AW corrupt huh? *sigh*

Brazilian Brush was thought to be a good, if quirky, animal with Hughie Morrison and earned a rating of 72 for its second win at Great Leighs. The aristocratic Morrison however is not one for 72 rated sandflys, so off to Bradley it went.

He ran off 44 today – 28lbs well in under a decent jockey. Two runs ago, he ran around four lengths behind Danum Dancer and the subsequent winner Only A Game in a much better race. This established the Brush likes Southwell and he can mix with good horses.

Today’s favourite was an upgraded banded winner from a stable who don’t run up many sequences. Bradley’s last five Southwell runners have all placed, bar The Tatling who looks past it. Blinkered first time.

How many more clues do you want, chief?

As for Miss Taken. Lord Victor, as McCabe said to the RP reporter on the track (and the stewards), is quirky and has a mind of its own. It hated the deep ground and will win again. MT, better off at the weights, was one of only two dangers if Lord Victor – as many people thought at the course – ran below par.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Lord Victor had been mildly progressive throughout December and beat a fairly reliable selling/claiming yardstick in Bubbly Bellini on a slow Southwell track last time out. You’d have to be fairly perceptive to think that he wouldn’t handle conditions this afternoon, especially when, on all known recent form, he was absolutely thrown in.

Even with the slight weight advantage Miss Taken had from their previous meeting it’s still a massive turnaround and I wouldn’t blame any all-weather sceptic for thinking ‘2/9 clearly wasn’t their price’.

Were connections called in after the race, Max, or was it so well known around the course (despite being backed from 1/3 in to 2/9) that he wouldn’t run well that no questions were asked?

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Southwell may have been ‘Standard’ MG but it was nowhere near the same that Lord Victor has been winning on.

The colour of the track was even different and sand was much stickier

• Total Posts 2432

He was called in, Media.

Obviously, I wasn’t party to what went on in there but I earwigged his natter with the Post man outside the weighing room afterward. To be fair to Alan McCabe there are few complaints around the track about the way he runs his horses and he’s a popular man. Quite a few of us are going to his next open day at Averham.

Southwell is not really a place where the regular punters go heavy on 1-3 shots and there was no buzz about it in the paddock as I mentioned, so I imagine the Betfair forum was a more uncomfortable place to be this afternoon.

Just before this race, the going was changed to Slow. I can’t remember this happening (though I imagine it has.) I walked down the track on Tuesday and you could build a motte and bailey castle at the 3f pole with a plastic bucket and spade. I went in up to my ankle. If you’ve never been to Southwell, that surface is as far away from Polytrack as its possible to get and normal rules do not apply in these frozen conditions.

• Total Posts 1217

I know Maxilion, that’s why i had a sneaky £1 e/w on at 22/1 :wink: but to be winning by 10 lengths regardless of those points you’ve given, the fact that he wore blinkers and the effect of the weather going on his form of the last year was a little surprising…

And AW corruption = just look at the cases of Darren Williams, Kieren Fallon etc…please don’t bury your head in the sand (pardon the pun) that it doesn’t happen…

• Total Posts 2432

Footballers with an eye on a transfer. Cricketers with a drink problem. Golfers with gambling debts. Darters with tendonitis. Snooker players with high child maintenance to pay. Steeplechasers with back injuries obscured from the public. Greyhounds with sore paws forced to run by owners on a jolly.

My argument isn’t about dodginess per se, Rich – its just that the AW takes flak it doesn’t deserve.

Anyroad… :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

1230 Thoughtsofstardom Alt Ten Down
    100 Divine Force Alt Lord Deevert
    130 Fromsong Alt Decider
    330 Atacama Sunrise Alt Alfie Tupper
    145 Artesium Alt Vogarth
    245 Sairaam

Best of luck

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Decider should go well, had a bad draw last time around and forced to race wide from a hold up position is about as far away from ideal for him as possible. Lower draw today and a pull on Fromsong he’ll turn the form around, also Raimond Ridge, well handicapped and a good on the AW, plenty of pace in this field for him and if Decider can’t hold them off, he’ll be the one up his ass in the final 100 yards.
    Decider 5/1 gen
    Raimond Ridge 6/1 gen

2.30 – Not mad on this one, but taken my chance with Mister New York as he looked over priced.
    Top price 8/1 gen

4.00 – Nor Mae, not overly raced, may get a soft lead and run back here in November when 2nd is fair form for this race.
    12/1 Betfred – plenty of 11/1

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Pretty unjust attacks on the AW on here just reading back. The fibre sand has been riding very very slow due to the whether recently and I would attribute it to heavy ground and on yesterdays show, very heavy ground. Whilst horses may have a tick in the box for standard going, none of them will have encountered that kind of surface so results were likely to be surprising. Bazil Brush would have been competitive anyway, he had enough form in the book to suggest he had a chance, the length of victory however was exaggerated because of the going.

FanciedHorseLayer
    • Total Posts 2753

Good Luck

LAY Southwell,1.15

Boy The Bell @ 2.96 [Betfair]

Trainer and jockey not reliable with short preiced horses

Viewing 17 posts - 970 through 986 (of 1,253 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.