The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grey Horse Handicap 2006

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grey Horse Handicap 2006

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

This isn’t a new phenomeon, the race has been run for 3 years now. Middleton Grey successful in the last 2 runnings and I think Smart Predator won the inagural contest in 2003.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I presume so, as there are 5 this afternoon at Bath:biggrin:

If they are the conditions of the race, is it any different really to having an 80 horse not qualified to run in a 0-75 or a winner not qualified for a maiden?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Its pure racism :angry:

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

What next?  A race for big strapping chestnuts with white blazes on their faces?  They could call it the ‘Minstrel Handicap’ :biggrin:

slipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

They could call it the ‘Minstrel Handicap

RAOFLMAO :biggrin:

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

quite right too.  the greys only hcap is a great sight to watch and we mustn’t let connections put their horse in another hcap on the same card for fear of reducing the potential field for the big race.  i will never get tired of seeing the wall of grey horses bolt up past the stands and even knowing how crap it sounds saying "i’m on the grey one", will probably say it again

btw, tdk, it is based on ability – the ability to be grey

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>The prize money point is something Newmarket should be ashamed about – they are staging two other 0-85 6F handicaps this month (Aug 11, Aug 26), and they are both for the bare minimum permitted for a Class 4 race – i.e £8,500.

Other courses staging Class 4 6F races on turf this month are Thirsk, Brighton, Redcar, Newbury, Goodwood, Ripon and Epsom. Every single one offers more prize money than Newmarket. At a conservative estimate, those Friday evening pop concert meetings generate £300,000+ in gate money alone – where on earth does it all go?

BTW, the biggest prize fund for any Class 4 6F handicap (circus races excluded) this month is £12,500 – but that’s at Kempton, so obviously it doesn’t count.

AP

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I remember when the "greys only" race was proposed three years ago, the Newmarket officials stated that to avoid complaints of favouritism, they would also run a non-grey horse race but the results section of the RP doesn’t state the race entry conditions. However, the Friday night of this meeting for the past 3 years has held a 6f Hcp which contained no Grey Horses, which itself is not unusual but I would reckon that this "non-greys" race has indeed been held for the last 3 years.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Please no-one mention Political Correctness as it will inevitably start me on the mother of all rants. I consider Political Correctness pathetic, childish and downright stupid. I have no time for it whatsoever and will never conform to it. (Bah bah rainbow sheep :no:, freakin idiots).

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Whatever next? A Race for non-bent jockeys. What price it’s reopened? :biggrin:

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

I’d love to see a running of "The Minstrel" handicap…I love those flashy chestnut horses :biggrin:

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

At the national hunt sales a few years back, before the coming of Roseliers in particular, many many people would turn there back if a grey walked into the sales ring.  They could be very hard to sell.  All that has changed now but fashions come and go and even the leading experts have there own personal and often perculier ideas about what a racehorse should look like.  Funnily enough these ideas rarely look like  anything youll see in the winners enclosure come March and chelters.

Certainly one thing holds true, chestnuts with white socks…the farriers hate them most. ;)

SHL

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Stewards Inquiry could be needed. Hravest Warrior declared yet he seems to be registered as a brown gelding on the racing post database.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

On Sporting Life website he’s described as a "Grey Gelding"

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

On further investigation i.e. from Weatherbys, the horse’s colour was officially changed after vet inspection. Not sure when though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.