The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Al Capone II

Home Forums Memorials Al Capone II

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 133

The great French chaser died last month – he must have been aged around 32. As he only once ran away from Auteuil in an era when the top French chasers competed successfully in England, he was very little known over here, but had Desert Orchid/Kauto Star style levels of fame in France, where he won their equivalent of the King George (Prix la Haye-Jousselin) seven years in a row. He had his quirks – a love of soft ground, jumping the big ditches very high and slow, spending much longer in the air than his opponents, and in his early days needing to be held up for a late run.

Youtube has surprisingly little footage of him and no complete races – what I have found I have linked to below (it includes clips of his battles with Chamberko in spring 1997, including their dead-heat, which I hadn’t seen before). If anyone does know of any further footage, I’d be very interested in seeing it. I lived in south London at the time and used to travel over to Paris for the weekend to see him run, and it would be nice to relive the memories.

Cendrelune
    Participant
    • Total Posts 43
    Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 133

Thanks! It’s good to know he had a long and productive retirement.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.