The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Aintree Hurdle 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Aintree Hurdle 2012

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

It’s very seldom you will see a horse who has just won the Champion Hurdle starting second fav for this.

That may well be the case here after substantial support for Oscar Whisky, support I find it hard to understand.

There is no doubting Oscar Whisky’s best trip is 2m4f wheras Rock On Ruby has failed 3 times when stepped up in trip.

However when he won at Newbury carrying top weight surprising more than a few it was pretty obvious he has improved no end since last season.

Despite those previous defeats at the trip I get the impression 2m4f will really suit him now he’s a stronger and better horse. What might back that up is the act he was beaten at Kempton by Binocular but when running in the big one on a much stiffer track he put that form well behind him.

Oscar Whisky is far from bomproof. He has an excellent record but when it comes to taking on the very best he falls that little bit short.

It’s something that’s always beeen the case with him. He failed to live up to stable confidence in the Supreme, was hammered by both Hurricane Fly and more recently by Big Bucks and co in the world hurdle.

I think he’ll find Rock on Ruby too hot to handle and lose out again.

The line though Hurricane Fly would suggest he has absolutely no chance and while that may flatter Rock on Ruby it doesn’t alter the fact that Paul Nichols horse won the Champion Hurdle whereas Oscar Whisky never even came close.

Lovely horse to watch but IMO he’s really up against it here and Ruby should be clear favourite.

Never been a fan of Zarkandar I don’t rate his form good enough for this and Overturn will be there to be shot at in this.

I am very much in the Rock On Ruby camp for this one.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

I’m with you on Oscar Whisky, he was somewhat fortunate imo to beat Thousand Stars last year and I think he’ll struggle to confirm that form. Thousand Stars is 11/2 compared to his 5/2, makes no sense to me.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I totally disagree! lol

Oscar Whisky is the best bet of the meeting. I wish I’d had some 3-1, be interesting to see who is fav when the tapes go up.

Top class beast, Oscar, and I don’t think Rock on Ruby will stay as well.

This is his for the taking – I see him tanking through.

Zip

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

Well done Zip. My Thousand Stars ran a cracker and confirmed my view that there’s very little between them.

Rock On Ruby was disappointing and you’d have to feel for Ruby, horrible fall.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

In 8 years on here I don’t think I have ever criticised a jockey and I only had a token £10 bet but I have to ask ;

I knew Rock on Ruby was beat after 5 seconds, how often is the horse with potential stamina issues asked to make all against horses proven in that sphere ?

There could have been a lack of front runner with out him but surely turning it into a sprint would have suited both PN horses rather than trying to run the stamina out of the others.

But WTF does Nicholls know ? Anybody would think he was champion trainer who’d just won the national. Just joshing, great achievement in keeping horses so sound for so long .

Well done Oscar and as controversial as it sounds, PN won the money but I think NH proved when it comes to placement and tactics – he has no peer.

Lee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.