The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

After nearly 9 years in power…

Home Forums Lounge After nearly 9 years in power…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Bear in mind that in this time they’ve had a very comfortable majority. That being so, I can only think of two good things they’ve done; remove betting tax and let the Bank of England set interest rates. <br>Consider the following issues and say if you think this government has improved things (and by that I don’t just mean spent more money on).<br>1)Education<br>2)The Health Service<br>3) House of Lords reformation<br>4) Regional Government<br>5) Crime/Law and Order<br>6) Foreign Policy<br>7) Influence on European Union budget/bureacracy/fraud etc.<br>8) Civil Liberties<br>9) Taxation – does the taxpayer get more for his tax/N.I. deductions than pre – 1997?]<br>10) Northern Ireland<br>11) Honours system <br>12) Pensions

Now you may well think that this government is the tops. They’ve had a whacking majority, a largely sympathetic press (especially the BBC) and an electorate who were largely tolerant in the early years of a new government trying to find its feet after the discredited Major years. So, have they used that majority to good effect?<br>How do you rate their efforts?<br>For my part, I think they’re a bunch of talentless tossers.

<br>(Edited by insomniac at 6:00 pm on Jan. 15, 2006)

<br>(Edited by insomniac at 6:18 pm on Jan. 15, 2006)<br>

(Edited by insomniac at 6:21 pm on Jan. 15, 2006)

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

In my view they have taken us backwards.

They have a majority because its they will only look after the ones who they think will vote for them. i.e. Non workers, ponses and immigrants.

The likes of me, a self employed worker who has a house, 2.6 kids, a car, a van and a budgie called Joey, all they want from me is my tax and to find other ways of taxing me.

They have failed my kids with their education. The health service does not exist. Dont start me on crime, because as you all know Lollys mate has to move away to a better place just to get away from the sh1te thats happening outside my front door, civil liberties are fine if you want to preach hate and promote war, but not if you dont like your new neighbours and my pensions are worth ??????? I predict that I will have to work till I am 75 before I get anything from this state.

Pay more tax. Get less if you pay. Get more if you dont.:angry:

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

…but what do the  extremists think ?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I’d agree withpretty much all of Hoppy’s analysis.

However, I’d take issue with:

1)Education Probably done better here than anywhere else

As far as I’m concerned, the question here is "are kids better educated now that pre-Labour?".

And the answer is, "WTF? Are you serious?".

The state "Education System" seems to be primarily about 2 things:

(1) keeping kids of the street<br>(2) giving pieces of paper to those kids with natural academic flair.

though it hasn’t stopped them allowing peado’s to work in schools ("Don’t you go touching those little kids during their PE class, now" ).

To be fair, there were plenty of peado’s workig in schools back in the Thatcher era (at least, in my shool).

Steve

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from stevedvg on 9:52 am on Jan. 17, 2006[br]As far as I’m concerned, the question here is "are kids better educated now that pre-Labour?".

And the answer is, "WTF? Are you serious?".

Surely you mean "r u 4 reel" :banghead:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Education, education, education .. imagine the mess we’d be in if Blah hadn’t been concentrating on it, so much ?

Now everyone leaves school with 9 grade A whatevers and it’s only when they get a job in the local shop that you find out if they’re an imbecile or not.

Prezza failed his 11+, if you want an example of something that actually works need you look any further.

I remember when I was about 13 getting a bad report and then my oldman going to the school to see what was going on.  Needless to say when he returned I was beaten black and blue and locked in my bedroom for about a month. If that happened today, he’d be locked up, I’d have ADHD and instead of ending up with a good job and a family of my own, I’d be contemplating it all from a prison cell somewhere. At great expense to the tax payer.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

DJ. <br> I got the same report as you, and got the same slapping as you, (from my Mum though). It did not do me any real harm as, I have had my own buisness for 20 years and brought up 2 honest kids, who are given no careers advice about what direction they want to go in. All they are told at school is to "further their education". When their education has been furthered, they still dont know what they want to do.

How many kids do you know who leave school and say "I want to be a brick layer!"

I asked my kids headmaster about training  kids for manual jobs, ie. merchanics and construction trades, and he looked puzzled?

Maybe they dont win so many points on the league table if they say their pupils dont end up at "uni".

This goverment is failing all of our kids. And that means our future.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Very true Lolly, when you look at some of these numpties with 10 A grades and a degree in **** knows what and thinking your going to be paying my pension when I’m done .. scary thoughts indeed.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

We’ve got an Engineering Graduate working with us who is a space cadet.

When pulled up about his persistent lateness he said he was always late because he didn’t like going to bed early on a night and couldn’t get up in the morning.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Peaty Sandy on 11:37 am on Jan. 31, 2006[br]DJ/Lollys Mate

When I was 12 I got caught nicking sweeties out of a shop.<br>I was given a lecture by my father and banished to my room for two weeks.<br>When I got out I started nicking sweeties again, and got caught again.<br>I was given a very stern lecture by my Father and banished to my room for a month.<br>When I got out I started nicking sweeties again, and got caught again.<br>I was taken upstairs and given several hard whacks on the bare backside by my Father with his pit belt.

Hey guess what ? I stopped nicking sweeties.<br>

<br>In similar instances to the above, my folks and I would discuss with us what I or my siblings had done. Not lecture, not tell off, but discuss. They were savvy enough to acknowledge that taking any other tone with potentially surly young adults was unlikely to derive the desired response. Such discussions were always enough to prevent recurrences.

I couldn’t say whether those principles would have stood even in the face of repeated flaunting of a given rule, because the fact is such flashpoints were never reached. However, I’d certainly have rated some of what we did (e.g graffiti-ing a wall, testing a neighbour’s patio’s resistance to cricket balls, etc.) would have counted as "extreme provocation". I guess as a family we simply believed that as in home life, so in the big, outside world – once you give up on measured, rational discourse, you lose something as a human being, whether that’s beating your kids or bombing other countries off the map.

Be that as it may.

I’m not feeling quite lazy enough tonight simply to scream "blame Thatcher!" where the advent of more or less two generations containing more grabbing, cynical and unextended young people than before is concerned.

I will say, however, that having taught in Germany in the recent past, I do wish there were more institutions over here which would mirror that country’s policies of, for example, separating its students at around the age of 14 and allowing those with little application or interest in the more overtly academic disciplines to embark on Realschule curricula primarily concerned with trades / crafts / manual skills. Shortages of suitably skilled plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, engineers, etc. are just not heard of over there.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Peaty Sandy on 6:58 pm on Jan. 31, 2006[br]I blame the parents for letting them watch s**t<br>e like Big Brother and Pop Idol.

They grow up thinking that the way to get on in life is to simply join a queue of talentless hopefuls.<br>

<br>By the same token one might as well have pilloried Flash Gordon decades before for making youngsters think they could go to space, or any number of other programmes (from fantasies to New Faces) since then.

The argument that television corrupts has never held water. It is down to the parental guidance around / outside of the viewing of reality television, the playing of console games, the watching of contentious content in films, etc. which will hold sway if delivered with adequate conviction. I had been introduced to alcohol, Monty Python and shoot-em-ups by the age of six but was corrupted by none of these.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 6:28 pm on Feb. 1, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Unfortunately Graysons there is absolutely no evidence to support the case against corporal punishment even though the anti-smacking space cadets claim otherwise.

My Missus works with young offenders and kids with problems and most of them have at least two of the following problems or wants,

a balanced diet<br>left with a child-minder as a toddler<br>no sense of danger<br>no father, or several father’s<br>mis-diagnosed mental disorders

If you or your own kids have 2 or more of those things on the list you have a problem.<br>

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Dave Jay – don’t you mean an unbalanced diet?

I’m all for a bit of smacking when required. My mother would give me a smack if I misbehaved when I was little, and consequently I never misbehaved because I was always scared of getting one. I’d like to say I’ve grown up to be a well balanced individual, and I like to stay out of trouble as much as possible (part of that is probably to do with my nature though, as my sister was brought up the same but she would get into more scrapes, albeit very minor ones – she’s a successful adult and mother now).

There is such a lack of discipline and respect these days – in schools teachers can’t really do anything anymore for fear of getting sued, and a lot of parents don’t think it’s their responsibility to bring their children up properly. I was out cycling round the Uni campus the other weekend and I passed this group of foul boys, no older than 10 years old, and they were calling me all sorts of obsecenities as I cycled past. If they were my children I’d have given them a good whacking by now (I’d like to think I wouldn’t bring up such scum).

I believe that TV does influence society, especially the uneducated and easily-led types. TV is full of crap most of the time, and I rarely watch it. Big Brother is just pathetic in my opinion, along with most reality programmes that sink to new levels just to get ratings and sensationalist publicity. The 9pm "watershed" is virtually non-existent, and evening soaps are full of violence, sex, and exaggerated stereotypes (to be fair they generally always have been but I believe it’s worse now).

"Chav" culture appears to be on the rise as well – when mindless morons like Jade Goody/Jordan etc can get rich and famous without possessing a brain cell between them, it just gives out the message that youngsters don’t have to strive for anything worthwhile in life.

Apologies for the rant, I’ve little patience with such things!

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

No Mesh .. I meant what I said, they have the following problems or wants .. <br>:cool:

Peaty are you not a bit too old to have a computer ?<br>

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

So, apart from ending betting tax and giving the B of E independence in setting interset rates, has this government done anything good at all in its 8+ years of power?  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.