The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Acknowledgement – Does This Do Anything For The Sport?

Home Forums Horse Racing Acknowledgement – Does This Do Anything For The Sport?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Quoted 25/1 in the Racing Post and absolutely bolts up at 7/2. Only those with inside information could have any idea what was going on.

What kind of impression do races like that give to an outsider perhaps placing their first bet in that race?

Williams says next to nothing in his interviews but it appears a number of gambles are doing the talking for him these days.

I suppose an investigation into the improvement will be too much to hope for.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Bottom weight in a desperately poor race. Stable in flying form, which it definitely wasn’t last year, which leads to well handicapped horses. Despite form figures, probably the biggest rick was suggesting it’d go off at 25-1.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Doesn’t take a genius to work out tat Ian WIlliams is a better trainer than Gary Bridgwater does it? A quick look at their stats will tell you that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The horse did get within 73l of the classy "Duc de Regniere" of N,Hendersons once,although he has been pulled up 4 times recently!Perhaps he is a Xmas horse!Anyone who wants to bet on horses of this calibre are the folk who keep the Bookmakers in the life they are accustomed too! Unfortunately thats racing Stilvi and you know it!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Lets hope Stilvi doesn’t check out the result of the 7.20 at Kempton!

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Let’s hope Stilvi doesn’t back too many of Gary Bridgwater’s horses.

katabatic
    • Total Posts 17

If you look back at the horses profile, he’s always been a horse with plenty of ability.
    Take a look at the horses run at Towcester when trained by Gary Bridgewater and you’ll see what i mean !

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

These things usually annoy the hell out of me, but in fairness to Williams he is good with horses coming to him from other stables. Russian Music, Weird Al, Gifted Leader, Ensnare, Aeroplane, Bob N You, Mocho, Hunters Ploy, all recent examples and there’s plenty more.

No, if you want to look at piss you off type gambles look no further than the 12.30 from Cork last Sunday. Opened at 50’s on BF. :x

Seanyboy
    • Total Posts 10

With prize money so desperately poor – gambles are inevitable. We’d all do the same if we had the opportunity. Adds to the mystery of the sport which many people think exist anyway. We shouldn’t hide from the fact that "inside information" is a part of the sport – and possibly some of it’s appeal.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

Surely you understate things Seanyboy.

‘Betting on horses, the lifeblood of that is inside information and what you do with it.’Peter Savill

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

The weasle faced lawyers to my right
    might convince me in this case.

Veitch and others
    may drain laugh at the uninformed.

Some gambles possibly stink.

Stink enough to kill of
    most of the old men in Billys

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Acknowledgement’s win does something for the sport, as it goes – it highlights that, unfortunately for him, Gary Bridgwater’s slough of despond as a trainer continues for the time being.

I await with interest the return to the track of horses like Ocarito – second in a couple of hurdles for Martin Keighley in 2008 but only able to beat one home in three no more tricky Flat / hurdle assignments for Mr Bridgwater subsequently.

He has joined Matthew Tuck since then. Admittedly John Tuck didn’t get much of a tune out of the gelding three years ago, but he was running in novice / maiden hurdles beyond his capabilities back then. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Matthew could find a bad handicap under either code for Ocarito when he eventually reappears.

Incidentally, Ian Williams also struck last night at Kempton with Tyrana, a horse having just its second run since being moved to him from… Gary Bridgwater.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Nobody seemed to mind when the same horse was backed at long odds on it’s first run for Williams at Hereford and failed to deliver. It ran much too freely there, so dropping it in trip was hardly rocket science.

Having established that the horse has the ability to win from it’s current mark, what is the trainer supposed to do? Tell the jockey to prevent it from winning?

Or would it be OK for the horse to win, just so long as nobody had backed it?

AP

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Declared to run at Uttoxeter tomorrow.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

If Williams hasn’t done anything wrong why doesn’t he just admit to the gamble in today’s Post. Strange decision not to attend either meeting.

As far as I am concerned before the change of emphasis the yard was in decline – very few above average horses and a failure to attract leading owners – obviously it is easier to attract those who like to land a nice touch. No doubt a few more will be knocking on the door. I would argue ‘inside information’ is only appealing to these kind of people.

As for Acknowledgement I look forward to him following up when we all know he is capable of winning and the money isn’t down.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.