The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

According To Pete

Home Forums Memorials According To Pete

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rcoverton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24

rip :(

• Total Posts 433

Poor lad. So sorry for his family, who live in the next village to me. :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 2276

:( soo sad to hear, his connections will be just as upset as they bred him

vf

• Total Posts 149

Was so pleased that Neptune Collonges had won – to know that According to Pete was pts after being brought down is just terrible news (Synchronised as well who should never have run only 4 weeks after the GC) after BBC doing that piece on his owner and breeder. The lady was in tears even before the race in the saddling enclosure. It certainly puts a horrible downer on everything and my heart goes out to the brave little horse’sconnections.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Such a shame. It wasn’t his fault, just got brought down by another faller. RIP and condolences.

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

RIP sweetheart :( x

I too was pleased Neptune Collanges won as his owner is from my town, until I read of fatalities of the 2 and others were still being treated.

RIP Accordingtopete x

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Reetlass; what’s the name of their village? I must send them a card. They thought he would have to be put down a couple of years ago when he sustained an injury, so it’s cruel that he survived and lost his life today through no fault of his own. When I was young it was my dream to own a racehorse that would run in the National, so to see someone’s dream shattered in such a way hurts so much. My partner said that Clare Balding was visibly upset also, having spend a lot of time with the family. Nothing encapsulates the highs and lows of life in the way that racing does.

• Total Posts 433

Moe, it’s Helperby. Think it’s correct postal address will be Helperby, York. It’s on the other side of the river to me.

• Total Posts 811

Just back from Aintree – I backed the winner and 4th but I’d give it up for Pete and Synchro to be OK – any joy I felt with Neptune winning was completely taken away. I’d backed Pete too … RIP you did nothing wrong yet paid te ultimate price …
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Total Posts 811

His family must be completely devastated – such an awful thing to happen … thoughts are with them all.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Thanks reetlass; I’ll send a card. We always assume that people know how much support they have from others, but it isn’t always the case.

• Total Posts 811

Poor Pete – his 50th race today and had completed in all but 2 – a fall and a pu – in the wrong place at the wrong time today … so unfair. His trainer Malcolm Jefferson has had an incredible time recently – 2 wins at Cheltenham and the same 2 winning at Aintree but now the loss of Pete … I’m sure he would have swopped them all to see Pete back home safe in his stable …

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

So upsetting that According to Pete and Synchronised tragically died today. It must be so awful for everyone concerned with them to start out with such high expectations and then for this to happen.
    Thoughts are with every one of those connected with According to Pete and Synchronised.
    If we can feel as we do without the hands on involvement how on earth do they cope :( ..
    RIP two brave boys who will be sadly missed :cry: :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    mamlook2k75
    • Total Posts 49

Just got back from Aintree. Absolutely heart-broken for the Nelson family and everyone involved with According To Pete. We were close to the owners when they got the news through that their beloved had not made it. The young lady who was so emotional before the race on the BBC was inconsolable, the haunting shriek she cried out will live with me for a very long time. Anyone who thinks these horses are not adored want to witness what I did today, these animals are like family members to their owners. Absolutely tragic. RIP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

This is the saddest loss in racing since One Man died. I know Synchronised was a Gold Cup winner and also home bred, but I can’t imagine what the Nelson family are going through. The horse was running the race of his life; his jumping was impeccable, he did nothing wrong. Had he finished tailed off last he would have been welcomed home as a hero.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.