The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A DIFFERENT APPROACH’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A DIFFERENT APPROACH’

Viewing 17 posts - 902 through 918 (of 1,334 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Good your keeping busy Gord, the wine will be flowing over the festive period :)

We’ve come down on the same side of RSA horses before so can I ask your thoughts on Ballycasey who runs tomorrow at Navan? For me the RSA market is chock a block with horses who won’t run and those who are simply not good enough. Of the top seven in the betting I make four unlikely runners and wouldn’t rate Smad Place or Wonderful Charm as Grade 1 horses. I respect Morning Royalty but I wouldn’t be tempted by him at 16/1. Your Shutthefrontdoor is next in the betting at 20/1.

It has the look of an extremely open race but I don’t think this is really the case. I think Ballycasey will have the race as his target and he was favourite or second favourite for the Albert Bartlett before being pulled out on the morning of the race. He races over 2m 1f tomorrow, but that’s nothing strange for a Mullins RSA horse (Cooldine) but faces a smart opponent in Ned Buntline. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was turned over tomorrow but I think he can make his mark in Grade 1 novice chases over three miles this season. 25/1 NRFB with Bet Victor is crying out to be taken imo.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Only just got in from work Tommy,grabbed a Bud and watched your

Ballycasey

skip round Navan.I had it in my head this fellow was one of Violet O’Learys but he runs in the ‘Mikael’ colours a horse I thought was an RSA type! :oops: I have to agree with your every word from the above post,he was going to be a serious player in the Albert Bartlett and probably one of only 2 horses I feared against my ‘At Fishers Cross’,I do recall him being joint Fav with my fellow for the race.Anyway todays performance over an incredibly way too short a trip only confirmed to me that this fellow has a bit of speed,not enough for an Arkle so he wont be going that route and looking at his past form I doubt very much he’d take the Jewson route so I too see a proper RSA sort.I can picture him attacking the Cheltenham fences with his ears back so I’d imagine there’s more education to be had from now till then,I cant see him doing the ‘Boston bob’ route as he needs more jumping experience but I can see him rolling down the hill going to the 3rd last with plenty in hand.My fellow

Shutthefrontdoor

will stay forever and he really needs a pillar to post gallop,your lad will ensure thats the case.What I dont want to see is your Grey alongside mine jumping the last as yours has a bit of toe! Good luck the 25/1 has been halved on todays performance! :twisted:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Only just got in from work Tommy,grabbed a Bud and watched your

Ballycasey

skip round Navan.I had it in my head this fellow was one of Violet O’Learys but he runs in the ‘Mikael’ colours a horse I thought was an RSA type! :oops: I have to agree with your every word from the above post,he was going to be a serious player in the Albert Bartlett and probably one of only 2 horses I feared against my ‘At Fishers Cross’,I do recall him being joint Fav with my fellow for the race.Anyway todays performance over an incredibly way too short a trip only confirmed to me that this fellow has a bit of speed,not enough for an Arkle so he wont be going that route and looking at his past form I doubt very much he’d take the Jewson route so I too see a proper RSA sort.I can picture him attacking the Cheltenham fences with his ears back so I’d imagine there’s more education to be had from now till then,I cant see him doing the ‘Boston bob’ route as he needs more jumping experience but I can see him rolling down the hill going to the 3rd last with plenty in hand.My fellow

Shutthefrontdoor

will stay forever and he really needs a pillar to post gallop,your lad will ensure thats the case.What I dont want to see is your Grey alongside mine jumping the last as yours has a bit of toe! Good luck the 25/1 has been halved on todays performance! :twisted:

Micky D beat the last RSA winner Lord Windermere in a chase last season so you weren’t far off the mark Gord :lol:

Thanks for your thoughts, very happy with the 25/1, because as I said before, RSA horses look scarce enough!

He might clash with Morning Royalty at Leopardstown next, should learn a lot more there.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

I agree with you tommy on this BALLYCASEY a horse i like too think he win RSA too hope he do not do a BOSTON BOB on us i think everyone on this forum were on Bob in RSA last season.

Gord what you think of racing last week and how will it impact later in the season.AL FEROF wins King george he does and ew for gold cup all i wanted to see was how he jump and did it well.How you see these big races like gold cup and king george going now.

Also any thoughts on flat racing in Hong kong not only THE FUGUE is racing there got SLADE POWER group one horse next year but a match between MOONLIGHT CLOUD VS SKY LANTERN at 1m that be a cracker.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I was a huge fan of

Al Ferof

Darren,Totally convinced he’d reverse Bumper form with ‘Cue Card’ in the ‘Supreme’ and I expected him to rustle up ‘Sprinter Sacre’ in the following years Arkle,unfortunately I’m of the opinion he lost his way a bit in the spring of 2012,he’s back now though and he’ll give ‘Cue Card’ a run for his money in the King George imo,a horse I still cant trust.I’m not interested in the Asian races now the jumps has arrived although ‘The Fugue’ has really improved this year,she too was one we spoke about way before she had achieved anything! :wink: The impact of recent racing for the future doesn’t concern me too much as the run of the mill stuff has and always will be much of a muchness,Trainers are definitely aiming better horses for the bigger meetings more so than ever,particularly the Cheltenham festival.
    Talking of laying one out for an early target and

Lord Windermere

ticks every box for the Hennessey,I never expected the RSA winner to be running but it looks like he is and so my idea of

Same Difference

and

Hadrians Approach

bringing the best 2nd season Novice form to the table goes out the window with Jim Cullotys charge down to run.I expect this big brute of a horse to go off the 5/1 fav come Saturday and win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Lord Windermere

ticks every box for the Hennessey,I never expected the RSA winner to be running but it looks like he is and so my idea of

Same Difference

and

Hadrians Approach

bringing the best 2nd season Novice form to the table goes out the window with Jim Cullotys charge down to run.I expect this big brute of a horse to go off the 5/1 fav come Saturday and win.

I’ve never drank Hennessy before Gord but if Lord Windermere wins I’ll raise a glass in in his honour… And one for Jim C… And one for Robbie Mc too… Maybe one for Ronan Lambe…

All aboard to Windermere Express :lol:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Lord Windermere

Same Difference

and

Hadrians Approach

As much as it pains me to say seeing as I’ve absolutely done my b*llocks on the old boy

Imperial Commander

, I’d have to completely agree, the RSA winner looks the best bet of the season so far. My faith in my ol’ mate has completely evaporated, although I do hold some confidence in him running a place. The fact connections have made their intentions clear that he’ll be retired immediately after Newbury hasn’t helped my confidence, but how the Culloty horse isn’t clear favourite bemuses me somewhat. He holds by far the best form on offer even in what looked a weak RSA and the handicapper hasn’t gone overboard.

It’s been a tough start to the winter for old Boz, lets just hope ‘The Commander’ can pull a rabbit out the hat and get in the first four Saturday for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Lord Windermere

Same Difference

and

Hadrians Approach

As much as it pains me to say seeing as I’ve absolutely done my b*llocks on the old boy

Imperial Commander

, I’d have to completely agree, the RSA winner looks the best bet of the season so far. My faith in my ol’ mate has completely evaporated, although I do hold some confidence in him running a place. The fact connections have made their intentions clear that he’ll be retired immediately after Newbury hasn’t helped my confidence, but how the Culloty horse isn’t clear favourite bemuses me somewhat. He holds by far the best form on offer even in what looked a weak RSA and the handicapper hasn’t gone overboard.

It’s been a tough start to the winter for old Boz, lets just hope ‘The Commander’ can pull a rabbit out the hat and get in the first four Saturday for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel :(

It’s not too late Boz, Ladbrokes the last ones standing at 9/1!

The comments about Imperial Commander don’t inspire confidence do they? Maybe they think he can go out on a high but you’d think if he retained most of his ability there wouldn’t be any talk of retirement.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Gord what you think of JUST A PAR a horse i was excited he was one of my to watch this season loss at Chepstow stable out of form then better form now.Even Nicholls himself stated this was the novice chaser to follow from yard hope he wins tomorrow i do get his season back on track.

Also this LORD WINDERMERE he was a lucky winner of RSA also compare to the previous season novice chasers i think INVICTUS when you think he is getting weight from Lord Windermere on saturday. if this horse same horse from Ascot i can see him winning because that season of novice chasers you had SILVIANIO CONTI SDC,FIRST LIEUTENAINT,BOBS WORTH and sadly INVICTUS did not make it to festival that season. i think if horse in Ascot form he be hard to beat that only worry i see from handicap standpoint he could be over a stone well in he is.Gord i myself do not rate last season novice chasers compared to previous season how would you compare them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Also this LORD WINDERMERE he was a lucky winner of RSA also compare to the previous season novice chasers i think INVICTUS when you think he is getting weight from Lord Windermere on saturday. if this horse same horse from Ascot i can see him winning because that season of novice chasers you had SILVIANIO CONTI SDC,FIRST LIEUTENAINT,BOBS WORTH and sadly INVICTUS did not make it to festival that season. i think if horse in Ascot form he be hard to beat that only worry i see from handicap standpoint he could be over a stone well in he is.Gord i myself do not rate last season novice chasers compared to previous season how would you compare them.

He may have been lucky with Boston Bob falling but given he nearly came down on the turn in it was very impressive that he had enough in the tank to recover from that mistake and come to the last full of running. I agree that the don’t look like the strongest generation of chasers but I don’t think they’ll prove as much of a let down as the Boston Angel generation. What makes him such an attractive bet for me is that the RSA was his first run over three miles and he looked to improve significantly for it. He steps up another quarter mile on Saturday which could well bring out further improvement. The RSA was also the first time last season that he was held up, which may be coincidental, but all the same I’d rather he wasn’t racing with the front few in the Hennessy, as he could be better with horses to aim at.

Invictus is thrown in if you think he’s as good as Bobs Worth and Silviniaco Conti. They were a very good generation of novices but he may have been flattered by the Reynoldstown run. Alfie Spinner wasn’t too far away that day and he holds down the form somewhat. He was impressive that day however and looks an exciting horse. This will be tough though: his first run since then in a big field handicap over 3m 2f; not for me at he price.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Tommy i like this LORD WINDERMERE horse too but not sure he progress into gold cup horse next year. only worry for INVICTUS is time off he had if he does turn up same horse as Ascot he be hard to beat.That the only worry i got from him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

TAPK was woken up by his 4yo daughter this morning at 3am wanting to sleep with her Mummy,normally I’d jump into the spare room but because I’m on a deadline to finish this bloody kitchen I’m working on I decided to go to work,(customers back from a 2 week break in Brazil on Saturday)! Sitting here now like Zombie O’Reilly I realise that working 14 hour days is not for me!
    Darren ‘Invictus’ again a horse you yourself spotted early on has paper-form but what troubles me is Alan King just cant train like The Duke before him and I doubt this horse will show his old colours sadly.You disregard

Lord Windermere

at your peril,he’ll carry his weight easily and he was a worthy winner of the RSA who will be a Gold cup horse thereafter,8/1 is still generous imo as I’ve always seen the Hennessey as a natural stepping stone for an RSA horse.If

Hadrians Approach

could only jump……..Thats the name of the game though and if

Same Difference

gets into a rhythm instead of attacking every fence like he did at Ascot then these 2 are both players.
    Boz,if ‘Imperial Commander’ wins you are ‘The King of Ante-Post’,TKAP! :lol:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Gord what you think of JUST A PAR even Nicholls saying after today win he could be a hennesey horse next year.He have to improve more but i think he can improve this season.

Also i know we in jumps season but are there any maiden winners on flat who you think could win big races next year.One i like is BLUE HUSSAR won a back end maiden in Ireland.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Just a par

does look a horse of potential Darren,take his victory literally over the slightly ‘jibberish’ ‘Third Intention’ and he could well be a long term ‘Hennessey’ sort.Not sure about the breeding at all though but as is often the case with National hunt horses its not about breeding so much as the flat.
    Good to see

Cantlow

get his head in front today,he’s a funny sort too though and doesn’t run the same race twice,I fancied him big time for the 0-140 handicap at the festival but sadly he never turned up.
    Tomorrow is a big day for TAPK,

My Tent or Yours

is my biggest certainty of the jumps season,he will win the Champion hurdle and make up for last years cert

Darlan

not getting his just rewards.4/6 for tomorrow to win and 6/4 to finish 2nd and he’ll definitely will do one or the other so long as he gets round.Its well documented on here that

Olas

has 66/1 about this fellow winning the big one in March,I’m on at half those odds having backed him the same bloody day! :twisted: I expect this horse to have grown and filled out and will enjoy just seeing him tomorrow.Its a big day for Dougie Costello too and I for one hope this vastly under-rated jockey gets his horse home in the Hennessey as he deserves a big one.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Melodic Rendezvous turn him over tomorrow. Half hoping this will happen and My Tent goes out to 10/1 for March, might get involved myself then :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

There would be no shame in

Melodic Rendezvous

beating

MTOY

tomorrow Tommy but that will be the only time,this fellow was 2nd fav for the ‘Supreme’ in the Pre Cheltenham Ante-Post lists thanks to his Tolworth victory.’Cotton mill’ will give us a good feel to how fit ‘MTOY’ is tomorrow anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

There would be no shame in

Melodic Rendezvous

beating

MTOY

tomorrow Tommy but that will be the only time,this fellow was 2nd fav for the ‘Supreme’ in the Pre Cheltenham Ante-Post lists thanks to his Tolworth victory.’Cotton mill’ will give us a good feel to how fit ‘MTOY’ is tomorrow anyway.

Agree with all of this, you’re spot on I think. My confidence in Lord Windermere has lessened slightly, would have preferred Robbie Mc on board but as long as Dougie doesn’t hit the front too early he’ll surely go close. Sit Dougie sit!

Viewing 17 posts - 902 through 918 (of 1,334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.