The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A DIFFERENT APPROACH’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A DIFFERENT APPROACH’

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 1,334 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Who do you think Mr Mullins will get to ride Simenon?

I remember Gary Carroll riding for him in the past, wonder if there’s any possibility he’ll come in for the ride?

Johnny Murtagh rides Simenon.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I like the breeding and profile of Wohler’s apparent 2nd string in the Gold Cup, Altano, Gordon.

He’s a 7 year old, quite lightly raced, but six of his races were Group 3s, one a Group 2, one listed, and the first two, just novice events; most between 14f and 2 miles, and only 3 times out of the first two.

He’s by Galileo out of a mare, who was a German champion filly by Lando.

I also believe Colour Vision has not been given due credit for his win last year. The race was slow, but he seems to be fast and tough.
    You can still get 33s I suspect.

He looks to have been brought along slowly, and it looks like a long-standing plot… but probably all fantasy!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Anyone fancy Trading Leather for the Irish Derby?

Had a look at the betting today and he is 16/1 with Stan James. Paddy Power only go 9/1

Trading Leather a best price 6/1 now. That 16/1 is looking a bit tasty now.

Its called Foresight Steve,a word used quite occassionally on here.Its a great feeling just beating the price but an even greater one when it comes off.I’m very confident

Trading Leather

will beat ‘Ruler of the world’……….So long as it doesn’t rain! :twisted: Good luck,well spotted and continue with the Ante-Post theme.By the way whats the best 2yo you’ve seen this year?

I’ll be watching Ascot to see how some of O’Brien’s army sort themselves out. There are several who need to clarify the precise pecking order. Stubbs is clearly improving but I don’t think anything that has finished behind him has even placed since. I have a feeling that Sir John Hawkins might be the best long term prospect but may not be as forward as some. If I had to back one for the Guineas it would be him. If he wins again soon I think his odds could collapse.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Its been a busy week for TAPK,somewhat emotional.Sir Henry died on my late Fathers Birthday and in a strange way that was comforting,one of my Fathers favourite sayings when analysing a race was "Has ‘Ceecil’~(Scottish pronounciation) got anything in it?" Henry had a massive impact on my train of thought about Horseracing he single handedly always gave me the reassurance that racing wasn’t as bent as the cynics suggested as his horses very rarely failed to fire,one reason why Henry never got involved with ‘Handicapping’ was the fact the majority of his horses were better than that so there was never any reason to play the system so many others have too.I had a meeting, a Pre-Royal Ascot shindig with my Knights of the round table last night,we were meant to be discussing through video form our selections for the big meeting……….Instead we got out the ‘Old Videos’ the 83 to 89 ones and reminisced about the legend that is Henry Cecil.Another memorable day amongst many for me was the victory of

Polar boy, 13/2

in the ‘Brittania’,not only did I back him to win I had him in doubles and trebles with

Macs fighter,16/1

and

Indian ridge,6/1

,that was some day.I have to say too that everytime you saw the ‘St Georges’ colours on a Cecil horse,whether it be Edward or Charles,you thought Class horse,

Lanfranco

springs to mind but I remember a horse called

Kneller

getting in the Ebor with about 8 stone and romping home at 10/1,Xmas came early,Henry did exactly the same thing again some years later with another well bred 3yo in Prince Khaled Abdullas

Tuning

,Henry was a master at placing his horses and if he gets 1 winner at Royal Ascot next week I’ll be on it for old times sakes,there will be tears in my Champagne!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Stubbs is clearly improving but I don’t think anything that has finished behind him has even placed since. I have a feeling that Sir John Hawkins might be the best long term prospect but may not be as forward as some. If I had to back one for the Guineas it would be him. If he wins again soon I think his odds could collapse.

Club Wexford (third behind Stubbs last time out) won a Leopardstown maiden comfortably during the week, which he was entitled to admittedly. I agree about Sir John Hawkins, looks like a horse who is sure to improve. Wachman’s horse who was third behind him at the Curragh runs tomorrow in Cork.

On the subject of the Ascot Gold Cup, I think Rite Of Passage sets the bar. The only reason he’s not shorter is the fact he’s not certain to run. I’d also be interested in Weld’s other entry, Pale Mimosa, if she runs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

What price will we get about

Disclaimer

winning this years Queens Vase?…………….Give me 2/1 now and I’ll be happy! Will anybody actually turn up? I see Lady Cecil isn’t running anything in the King Edward Vii stakes another race Henry excelled in,Hindsight shows

Morpheus

might have been worth an entry! Good to see Johnny up on my Royal Ascot Banker

Simenon

,if ‘Saddlers Rocks’ a runner then I suggest you take the tip in itself,my horse is a serious player………Who says he’s just a Handicapper?? No he’s just a bit slow letting the penny drop,you’ll see that next week!
    Grimes,thanks for trying to find something to beat my fellow mate!! :lol: But when I’ve got a horse I dont allow anything to influence my judgement,

Toronado

was the closest a horse came to worrying me and he will again on Tuesday,those on at 4/1 e/w ‘should’ have a bet to nothing!
    Steve,I expect

Sir John Hawkins

and

Stubbs

being the Coolmore Coventry runners with the very fast

Coach House

going for the Norfolk.The ‘Peeping Fawn’ colt would be my Derby horse right now,I dont think he’ll have the speed of my fellow over 6f and that speed will get the mile of the 2000gns too.Exciting race for sure…………..Come on ‘Stubbs’ i’ve painted my Picture of him coming late and fast! 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Just a quick mention for

Westwiththenight

here at York, for Richard to travel to York tells me he wants to redeem himself for his poor ride on the filly last time!

Thats twice he’s rode the filly badly now,one to keep an eye on in the future though,she travelled well there…..albeit in stone cold last place before running right into trouble.I wont forget her!

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

Well I’ve had an interesting day on the punting front :-)

My main bet (only single) was extremely unlucky in running but that’s expected in these competitive sprints :-(

I enjoy trixies on a Saturday and as long as the first one places you have yourself a nice bet. My £5 EW trixie consisted of:

Rios Rosanna @ 14s – very unlucky 4th but that was good enough.
    Maven at 10s came next and ran well enough to come 3rd

The last leg also had £30 ew at 11s and was a very unlucky fast finishing 3rd and will win a big race this season!! Barnet Fair is the horse in question.

Did we see the Ayr Gold Cup winner today from Tim Easterbys yard?

From the nice winnings I have had some more Ascot bets and also availed a price for Stubbs to double up in the Coventry and 2000 GNS, Laddies who normally mess up offered 25s which was terrible, Joes only 33s, 365 slightly better at 50s but Billy’s very kindly offered me 66s which was gratefully accepted :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

From the nice winnings I have had some more Ascot bets and also availed a price for Stubbs to double up in the Coventry and 2000 GNS, Laddies who normally mess up offered 25s which was terrible, Joes only 33s, 365 slightly better at 50s but Billy’s very kindly offered me 66s which was gratefully accepted :-)

Well played yesterday Gary,good to see you re-investing in a future star,I can confirm the above prices are accurate as I
    have contacted all the above myself! However I knew for a fact that William Hills wouldn’t give me 66/1 about the double as I have taken all their 20/1 but to offer me a measly 25/1 beggars belief! :shock: My reputation does occassionally have that effect on some! :roll:

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

Jeez that’s meagre to say the least :-(

Ascot fields are looking good, as competitive as ever and more to watch than anything else, I used to stick with Messrs Cox and Fanshawe blind in the handicaps, still think ‘skeletor’ can lay one out for this week!

I actually thank Frank rides this course very well especially in big fields.

Al Kazeem, Society Rock, Stubbs, Coach House and Shea Shea are in my trebles :-)

Best of luck with your bets this week mate

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

As my posts show I’ve backed

Society Rock

several times in the past Gary,once for the very same race last year and we all know what happened then! :twisted: I have missed him both times he’s won at 10/1 since! :oops: So I’m looking for one to beat him this year.
    My daily bankers are,-

Tuesday,

Stubbs

9/2 Coventry
    Wednesday,

Stirring Ballad

14/1 Hunt cup
    Thursday,

Simenon

16/1,14/1,12/1.10/1 Gold Cup
    Friday,

Disclaimer

Queens Vase
    Saturday,

Mince

14/1,10/1 Golden Jubilee.

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

Nice selections mate, see you have gone for one of my trainers horses in Stirring Ballad :-)

I actually believe Society Rock will take all the beating

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

What are your thoughts on the well regarded

Cape Peron

Gord? Must say I’m very happy with my 10/1 :wink: It’s hard to call one a ‘banker’ in a 30-odd runner handicap, but he’s surely better than his rating of 100 no?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Henry Candy is to confidence as I am to Gay Sex boz! This

Cape Peron

will handle fast ground no problem at all,his sire positively loved it but could handle cut,he was versatile as a horse the sort you didn’t have sleepless nights about the bloody weather over.Your horse should be in the Jersey imo,he’s a potential 112 horse in the making and would run off levelish weights,he’s got nothing in this years Britannia with the scope he has to beat and if this ‘Law Enforcement’ sets the benchmark you wont see 4/1 about ‘Cape Peron’ on the day,

Remote

is his danger but should be getting weight not giving it.Good Luck!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Nice selections mate, see you have gone for one of my trainers horses in Stirring Ballad :-)

I actually believe Society Rock will take all the beating

I agree that

Society Rock

is a proper Group 1 horse but Roger wants to stop ‘Mincing’ about with my filly as she is a player too!
    As for

Stirring Ballad

,watch how well her handicap mark has been protected this year,she’s got ‘Plot’ horse written all over her,guaranteed to go off a single figure fav imo!

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Henry Candy is to confidence as I am to Gay Sex boz! This

Cape Peron

will handle fast ground no problem at all,his sire positively loved it but could handle cut,he was versatile as a horse the sort you didn’t have sleepless nights about the bloody weather over.Your horse should be in the Jersey imo,he’s a potential 112 horse in the making and would run off levelish weights,he’s got nothing in this years Britannia with the scope he has to beat and if this ‘Law Enforcement’ sets the benchmark you wont see 4/1 about ‘Cape Peron’ on the day,

Remote

is his danger but should be getting weight not giving it.Good Luck!

:lol:

You certainly have a way with your words don’t you Gord but I’m glad to hear you’re as bullish as I am :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Well I’ve fallen for the Coventry/2000gns double bet with Bet365.Just had a good chat with the boys in Stoke,bloody huge place if you’ve ever seen it and their 50/1 is generous.I’ve been allowed a maximum wager of £50 on at the price as its a ‘special’ bet but I expect my horse to win and win well on Tuesday and that in itself will see

Stubbs

go clear 8/1 fav for the Guineas.
    TAPK knows this fellow, for one born on the 23rd Feb which is relatively early is still very immature,he’s the polar opposite to

Dawn Approach

a late foal born exactly 2 months later in the year on the 23rd April who too was a slow learner but he had good reason.The only thing that will beat ‘Stubbs’ on Tuesday is ‘Stubbs’,Aidens managed to get 3 runs into this headstrong colt but he’s mentally none the wiser,physically he’s developing nicely,he’s also a looker but Joseph will have to switch him off and let him come through with one burst of acceleration,if he hits the front too soon he’ll stop and thats a possibility as 6f wont be taking the buzz out of this fellow who will get a 11/4m easily.Whatever he does this week he’ll improve again for it,I’d like to see him saved for the National stakes then the Dewhurst as he’ll benefit for a break to calm him down.Whereas ‘Dawn Approach’ was as cool and laid back as me,’Stubbs’ is just wanting to get on with it and on with it he’ll get.With both ‘Championship’ and ‘Sir John Hawkins’ in attendance it will take a proper Group 1 horse to beat them and I’ll sit cosy with the knowledge I’ve found ‘The One’!!………Again! 8)

Stubbs

£50 win 50/1 Coventry/2000gns Bet365 double.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 1,334 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.