The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

7 Races Wolves 17k

Home Forums Horse Racing 7 Races Wolves 17k

Viewing 13 posts - 18 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

Cant wait for the 2 runner chase at Taunton tomorrow. :)

Tuesday looks even more scarce. Twenty races, only 5 with more than 7 runners.

Unlike Hexham on Sunday where there was a full complement of runners and two races had to be divided. That despite a biggest win prize of £2927.

The owners’ celebrations following Saddler’s Secret’s third place in the staying novice hurdle, earning then £344 take home, suggests that prize money is not upper most in the minds of many owners.

Rob

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Guys , lets stay on on topic ,,,,,,lovely day in Towcester , its free entry , but 15 horses turned up for the first race 0-95 hcap hurdle, 2500 total prize for race

Can this be madness or just sheer lunacy , it cost that alone just to get the horses to the course and back

I stayed for the first 4 races , where 37 horses contested 4 races for a total of 13k

Seems horses will run regardless , but I just dont understand why

cheers

Ricky

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

The owners’ celebrations following Saddler’s Secret’s third place in she staying novice hurdle, earning then £344 take home, suggests that prize mnoey is not upper most in the minds of many owners.

Wonder if they had £2.50 e/w on her?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Yes Rob, I watched every second of Hexham yesterday and enjoyed it greatly. As a non owner my only wish is that prizemoney stays above a level that can sustain an average of 4 well contested and competitive meetings a day, 363 days a year with all of the UK’s 59 wonderful racecourses remaining viable. I’m not sure if that will remain the case if things continue as they are, particularly at the bottom (enjoyable) end. Cards like today and tomorrow are becoming all too common. :(

I normally watch racing with the sound turned down but that was definitely not the case yesterday with the excellent Malcom Tomlinson doing the commentary. I usually only hear him at Ayr, he should be on more often. A fitting replacement for Dougie Fraser there yesterday. :)

• Total Posts 2432

Well, I’m off to Southwell today in the sunshine. There will be plenty there on course too – it’s like Mablethorpe in June here. All the ladies of the town, in pretty flowery dresses, are off to market on their Raleighs, soon to return, baskets laden with fresh fruit and hot crusty bread.

Who goes out when its cold nowadays? Blanket TV coverage of racing, a callous Coalition-led recession straight out of some Orwellian Hell, high prices, VAT creep, central heating, the Internet, Pop Tarts ready in the toaster and litre after litre of one pound fifty Thor’s Hammer white cider in the fridge, you’re not going to go out when it’s snowing are you?

Look at away support at football matches – collapsing week by week. The derisive chant "You Must Have Come In A Taxi" is now considered a grudging compliment.

No, society has changed, chaps.

However, things do improve. Horse racing in this country is too popular to go down the tubes. No need for all this negativity.

The tariff will impact eventually (and it wasn’t really intended for higher levels – the Feudalists look after their own interests, e.g. Champions Day.) Arena will eventually have to follow Northern’s lead and invest some of their trousered media rights cash into prize money – and if the Horsemen are happy with the Tariff, then once it is met, everything will start to improve as the sun shines. If only we can get Betfair to cough up from the Lay side, then we’ll all look back at the winter of 2010/2011 as a nadir, a tipping point.

A 17k Wolves meeting will never happen again. In my opinion of course.

• Total Posts 1402

The one positive thing that the Horseman’s Tariff has achieved is that it’s reminded owners that there can be a huge disparity in prizemoney at different courses.

Southwell runs a rare Class 3 handicap worth an appalling £4,533 (gross) to the winner. After deductions winning connections will receive £3,558.

A class 4 handicap at Lingfield today pays £3,400 gross or £2,669 net to the winning owners.

In the next month you could run on turf in a class 3 handicap worth £9,346 to the winner or a class 4 handicap worth £12,462 to the winner!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

MAX , dream on

Nice writing though

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I think Max has been on the cider early. :D

Will the wheebarrow merchants be on Mush Mir, Exemplary, Verzano, Coax or Hindu Kush, Max? A bold sight guaranteed!

• Total Posts 2432

Rickster :D Did you go to Towcester the other day? Or was it just a general comment?

Cav, once the locals realised that Sean Levey was connected to Ballydoyle, a head of steam developed locally about Hindu Kush. Quite a few had the forecast. Very clever bit of work from the Mills yard.

The late run of

Bold Adventure

proved that the sandpit’s two miles holds no fears and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that one back here. I have seldom seen a horse go to post with as much pizzazz as this one. It was a pleasure to watch. Mr Musson will have noticed this too.

Lots of forum-style muttering about the riding of one of the horses you’ve mentioned, from some decent punters. The S word was mentioned on three seperate occasions in the aftermath from people I’ve not heard use the word before and who aren’t really the type to pocket talk. For what it’s worth, I’m giving the jockey the benefit of the doubt and saying he had a ‘mare.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Yeah Max I went to Towcester , its only up the road , it was a fantastic day out , I could well be on the racing route after a long absence , I realised just how much I missed it

Probably about 5000 old codgers/dossers like myself with time to burn , and a few tenners to throw at the bookies , it is a beautiful place when the sun shines and the horses all get round , its a hell hole when its a bog and the horses are crawling up that hill

Next stop Doncaster ……(lord help me with motorway traffic )

Ricky

ps I will be avoiding all low grade flat and AW meetings as they are a step too far for my comfort zone….

• Total Posts 2432

I enjoyed my day out at Towcester, Ricky. Like to go again sometime. It is a lovely place.

There is a few of the gang going to Nottingham next Wednesday for the Further Flight meeting if you’re up for it. One of my favourite meetings of the year.

Best of luck at Donny. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Despite what Anthony Cutt will undoubtedly say, this clearly shows what a waste of money it is staging so much low-class all weather racing at Wolves. If they cut back on the worthless twilight fixtures, there will be more prize money to go round.

• Total Posts 980

Despite what Anthony Cutt will undoubtedly say, this clearly shows what a waste of money it is staging so much low-class all weather racing at Wolves. If they cut back on the worthless twilight fixtures, there will be more prize money to go round.

The twilight fixtures aren’t worthless. As I’ve mentioned many many times, some people work during the day so if they (I) want to watch any racing during the week, it’s Friday at Wolves more than likely. Plus me & the missus both like the ‘Get In’ programme. I suppose they could just show Dundalk on that programme.

Wolverhampton have floodlights, they may as well use them. It’s the Wolverhampton weekday afternoon fixtures I’d get rid of.

Viewing 13 posts - 18 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.