The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

7 Races Wolves 17k

Home Forums Horse Racing 7 Races Wolves 17k

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Lovely isin’t it , 7 races just over 17 k in prizes , 1st race in Ireland worth 13000 Euros ….

Question is just how much did it cost the connections of all the horses that ran at wolves tonight to run ….probably more than the 17 k on offer ….

Meanwhile the betting operators coin it

RFC where are you now ???

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Unlike Bananaland, UK racing doesn’t have the luxury of a 30 million quid prizemoney subsidy from taxpayers. If the quango boys at HRI had to negotiate directly with the bookies for their corn, Irish racing would have holes in its shoes. Just like their builder mates have now.

Did you follow the money in the second, Ricky? Bit like Wolves really…

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I see that Mark Johnston had Crown Counsel finish 2nd in a maiden at Deauville today, winning over £4000 for connections.

A couple of days ago at the same course, he had a horse finish 3rd in a conditions race, and another 2nd in a claimer, both times trousering over £3500.

That’s the way to do it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Cav I waited for good thing in the 8.30 at dundalk , point taken about the Irish funding , no argument from me , but Jeeze it must have cost more than 20 k to race those horses in Wolves tonight , talk about minus ev

Its ga ga land

bring on the clowns …..

R

birdsnest
    • Total Posts 17

was it Matt Chapman and the ATR ‘boys’ that started calling Wolverhampton wolves……. at least they could call it be the same name that everyone that lives round there calls it , its WOLVO (amongst other things ) …not Wolves …sorry but it does my head in :D

by the way , on a serious note …ive been there and theres only been about 20 of us there …and that included the bar staff so im not surprised the money is so bad …….

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

"Meanwhile the betting operators coin it"

Ricky you really need to give this some more thought. Nobody in the shops or online is betting on this dross.

These meetings are being run for the sole benefit of exchange punters.

The exchanges should therefore be funding it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Fair Enough Sam , I used betting operators to cover them all

its a damn shame though , its so like Monmore down the road , and will probably end up the same way ……..flats built on it

Wolvo whatever , hang your head in shame

Ricky

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

It’s laughable to suggest race meetings are being put on solely for the benefit of exchange punters, who would sanction them if that was the case?
    They are put on for the benefit of bookmakers and the racecourses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I’m not fussy but exchanges, bookmakers, punters and racecourses will be struggling for inspiration looking at the numbers today.

The sport is running out of horses. Somethings gotta give…

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

Eddie Case, I just speak from experience having worked in a beting shop with a decent sized turnover, relatively speaking. Punters arent betting on the All-Weather in the shops. It’s a turnoff. £200k a race gets matched on the exchanges though.

• Total Posts 110

Eddie Case, I just speak from experience having worked in a beting shop with a decent sized turnover, relatively speaking. Punters arent betting on the All-Weather in the shops. It’s a turnoff. £200k a race gets matched on the exchanges though.

That being the case – and I don’t doubt you for a minute – dare I ask why on earth the BHA are seemingly committed to expanding this low grade AW racing?

It would be interesting to see how the numbers stack up – levy return by meetings/courses etc.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Would add that we’re constantly being told that prize money isn’t enough but it’s obvious to anyone who watches racing that prize money just isn’t an issue to owners, trainers etc. if it was they’d be racing their horses at Deauville, Dundalk, Cagnes-Sur-Mer, Pau, Auteuil, Chantilly, Longchamp, Dieppe etc. and we do see the odd one or two attempt these cross channel raids (presumably with horses owned by those who DO care about prize money).

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Ricky you really need to give this some more thought. Nobody in the shops or online is betting on this dross.

As someone who works in a betting shop, there are people who back every single race, irrespective of the class or grade.

• Total Posts 110

As someone who works in a betting shop, there are people who back every single race, irrespective of the class or grade.

Purely hypothetical – as the data to prove either way is not available – but would the net spend of these individuals on horseracing be less if there were two meetings per week day instead of 4+?

I just don’t see it being drastically different myself.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Cant wait for the 2 runner chase at Taunton tomorrow. :)

Tuesday looks even more scarce. Twenty races, only 5 with more than 7 runners.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

You are Ralph Topping and I claim my five pounds.

Excellent point raised in the last couple of posts: many day-to-day betting shop punters don’t discriminate and would spend their dough no matter what "betting opportunities" were offered. Such meetings as today’s serve only bookmakers, be they traditional or exchanges.

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

JJM Sports, you can’t be trying to suggest that the people you highlight are betting with any weight ? It’s the 10p Lucky 15 and Yankee punters on the illegible betting slips. No serious punter bothers with it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.