The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

5.20 Salisbury

Home Forums Horse Racing 5.20 Salisbury

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jonny Ebeneezer
    • Total Posts 17

Just watching the replay of the races from Salisbury today on RUK (cramming lots of viewing in before it gets cut off)….anyways, can anybody tell me why the last race was started without stalls? The start mirrored that a national hunt start which was a bit mystifying..

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

It’s because it was over the 1m6f trip in which the runners begin by racing the "wrong" way up the straight before going round the loop. Goodwood’s races over 2m5f are the same (not that there are many!).

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

Rory,

They also race up the straight the wrong way from the 1M 4F start and they use stalls for that.

When I asked the course manager many years ago, he told me it was because the course is so narrow at that point, they’d only be able to have ten stalls – and that even if they did use stalls, there’s no space on either side to move them to before the runners get back to the finish.

AP

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Thanks for that Alan.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I believe Hamilton which also has a loop has a similar arrangement.

Colin

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Hamilton always uses stalls

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

…………….do they, that does surprise me, my apologies.

Colin

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Rory,

They also race up the straight the wrong way from the 1M 4F start and they use stalls for that.

When I asked the course manager many years ago, he told me it was because the course is so narrow at that point, they’d only be able to have ten stalls – and that even if they did use stalls, there’s no space on either side to move them to before the runners get back to the finish.

AP

Any idea if the reasoning is the same for the Goodwood 2m5f races AP? I thought it was a bit odd when I saw no stalls there.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

I assume so – if I remember correctly, they used to use stalls when the race was run over 2m 3f and started at about the 2F pole.

But where they start now, it’s the horsewalk from the paddock on one side and a steep drop into the members car park on the far side, so nowhere for the stalls to go.

AP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.