The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

3yo sprinters

Home Forums Horse Racing 3yo sprinters

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

In the UK we run our 2yo’s predominantly over 5-8f with the group one’s being mostly at 6-8f…

Why is it that in the classic season there are no G1’s over 6 furlongs? There are plenty of horses that don’t see out the mile and are therefore resigned to running in the top sprints where they generally don’t do that well (Amadeus Wolf ran creditably last year without really looking like winning at any point.).

Would there not be any mileage in having a group 1 sprint for 3yo’s to decide the generations top sprinter?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Aragorn – there are no Group races AT ALL for 3yo only sprints and this is also true for both Ireland and France as well.

BTW – I don’t count 7f as a sprint distance.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Neither would I David.. Have to admit  thought there were some group races at that distance..

Does anyone know the logic for this? Seems strange that there are no 3yo group races over 5-6f.. There are plenty of group class animals who would compete in these races..

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I presume the logic is to try to bolster the all-aged sprinting category or perhaps 3yo don’t need as abig a weight allowance for the aprints as they wopuld for middle distance. What is the WFA allowance for a 3yo at 6f for Mar-Jun?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>In the longer term, 3-y-olds have been competitive enough in the top sprints. They have produced four winners in the last ten July Cups (Oasis Dream, Mozart, Stravinsky, Compton Place) and almost a fifth as Lincoln Dancer was short headed by the Japanese runner in 2000.

That suggests their recent inability to win is just down to lack of ability rather than any problem with them taking on older sprinters.

Perhaps the presence of more overseas challengers is just making these races more competitive for all age groups?

AP

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quite possibly AP, I just think that over 1m-1m4f the 3yo’s are built up and take on their own age, then later in the season they take on the old un’s and you find out the best horse of the year in their respective division (or at least try!)

This doesn’t happen with sprinters and I just think it may add a bit more to a division that is often looked at as the poor cousin of the mile and middle distance divisions..

I’m really just voicing an opinion here to be honest.. I actually think the sprint division could be really good this year.. Amadeus Wolf and Asset taking on the established stars of reverence and les Arcs from last year and then throw in the aussies etc etc Should be great viewing..

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

If you look at City of Tribes from Ger Lyons yard over in Ireland he was a useful Juvenile sprinter, was beaten on his return in a conditions race (I think) down at Tipperary and then won a sprint handicap.  He’ll undoubtedly make a much better 4yo like most sprinters but there’s only really going to be the group sprints against open age horses or top weight in sprint handicaps.

Might as well run him in a couple of minor group races and put him away for the year

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

It’s said that speedy horses (i.e. sprinters) develop faster than middle and longer distance horses.

So, maybe that’s why they’re expected to run against their elders?

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

Quote: from stevedvg on 12:34 pm on May 22, 2007[br]It’s said that speedy horses (i.e. sprinters) develop faster than middle and longer distance horses.

The logic behind running 2yos in the Nunthorpe I assume.<br>

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from ToneLoc on 1:19 pm on May 22, 2007[br]

Quote: from stevedvg on 12:34 pm on May 22, 2007[br]It’s said that speedy horses (i.e. sprinters) develop faster than middle and longer distance horses.

The logic behind running 2yos in the Nunthorpe I assume.<br>

…And behind the whole wfa scale it would seem?<br>Can’t find any figures at the moment, but from memory a 3yo sprinter in mid-may receives about 8lb dwindling down to about 2lbs by the end of August.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

During which time the milers and middle distance 3yo’s are running against themselves…

There are plenty of group 1 6f horses who get well turned over in the guineas.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.